Veggie1

What's wrong with my peppers?!

Help! I planted my peppers(red and green bell) Tuesday and this is what they did today! Ugh! I am beginner and I don't know what's wrong. They were hardened when I bought them. After planting them I watered them with miracle grow plant/veg food. Did I kill them? I am in zone 9. Please help!
Attachments
20140403_184314-1-1.jpg

imafan26
Mod

it doesn't look dead, but the leaves do like like they may have had a chemical burn.

Veggie1

Is there any thing I can do to counter act this or just wait it out?

applestar
Mod

Did you use miraclegro full strength?

When you say they were hardened, why do you think so? Most of the time, seedlings are root bound in small containers and are kept in part shade because they would dry out quickly under full sun.

More information would help to diagnose better. How did you prep the soil? What kind of day/night temperatures?

...it could just be transplant shock and aside from the cosmetic damage, the plants may recover, but if it continues to deteriorate, post what is happening.

Veggie1

I bought the Miracle-Gro at Lowes it's in the container that attaches to the hose. I didn't know there was a difference in strength. I bought them at a garden shop and the lady told me they were hardened cause she left them outside full time. I planted 5 of the 6 plants in my garden and I planted the 6th one in a 5 gallon bucket(I'm experimenting) and it is still doing great. I did not apply the Miracle-Gro to it however. Day temperature was 82 and the night temperature was 58.
I planted them in raised rows about 8 inches high. I dug a hole and added some water to the hole, planted pepper, covered up with soil to the top of the bedding it came out of the container in. Watered it with the Miracle-Gro a little bit and that was it.

I watched the sun for a couple weeks to see what areas of the garden it shined on and the amount of time. The peppers get about 5hours of direct sun light.

Ugh this is frustrating.... I want to have a great garden but this is all new to me and I don't know what I've done!

imafan26
Mod

If you watered them in the middle of the day and the water stayed on the leaf, the droplets could have acted like a magnifying glass and caused some leaf burn.

One thing about hardening off. Even if the plant was kept outside in the sun, depending on your relative location the sun might be different. At higher elevations, it is cooler even in full sun than at the seashore. If I get my plants from a similar location or from a lower elevation, I can put them in "full sun". But If I get plants I know have been growing in a cooler location than mine, I start them off in partial shade especially during the warmest parts of the year. Even in my own yard, the best time for me to change locations of my orchids under shade cloth to more light is in December when the sun is the weakest. Otherwise just transporting the orchids in the car or moving them out to the sun will cause the leaves to burn. Same with putting orchids in shows. After they have been inside for four days, they have to be retrained to be where they were.

To train plants, sometimes I will put the plant in its pot in the location it is going to be to get used to it before I transplant it to the ground.

Be careful not to over water the peppers. Most people kill their plants with love. When they see a plant in trouble, they keep watering it and end up killing the plant by giving it too much water.

Return to “Pepper Forum”