lexusnexus
Green Thumb

Pepper Seed Storage and Sources

I did a search on the subject of storing seeds and couldn't find a good match for the length of time seeds can be stored. Are they tomato seeds that can be stored for quite a long time?

Who are good commercial (or other) sources for pepper seeds? We prefer sweet to medium hot peppers. Neither of us like very hot peppers.

imafan26
Mod

Tomato Growers Supply Co.
Pepper Gal
Baker Seeds

Have a nice selection of all kinds of peppers.

How long seeds last depends on the seeds and how they are stored. They need to be kept dry Envelopes are better than plastic and cold preferably in the refrigerator. Warning: seeds can take over your refrigerator space. Some seeds have a long shelf life. My dill still germinated after 13 years. Beans 9 years, zucchini (not worth saving), lettuce 3 years. Most of my seeds lasted up to 5 years but only a few more than that.

I have pepper seeds that were still good after 5 years but most were good for at least 2 years.

Here's a link to how long seeds last.

https://extension.oregonstate.edu/garden ... seeds-last

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Nice link, imafan! I agree, kept cold, dry, dark, seeds can last for a long time. I bought bulk seeds last year, which were cheaper, knowing it would take me three or four years to use them all up. I store my seeds in little paper envelopes, inside big paper envelopes, in the freezer.

lexusnexus
Green Thumb

Thanks, imafan. Really great information. :D

Countryladiesgardens
Green Thumb

We like to buy our seeds from https://www.westcoastseeds.com. They have a great selection of peppers there from sweet to spicy. We also have heard great things about pepperjoe.com not sure where you are located but your local online buy/sell may have them as well. Good luck! :D

Return to “Pepper Forum”