imafan26
Mod

Re: 2014 Pepper Garden -- What varieties are you growing?

These are the places where I get most of my pepper seeds from.
Pepper Gal
https://www.peppergal.com/

Tomato growers supply
https://www.tomatogrowers.com/Peppers/departments/15/

Pepper Joe (Really hot peppers)
pepperjoe.com

Kitazawa seed (Asian peppers)
https://www.kitazawaseed.com/seeds_pepper.html

Cola82
Green Thumb

Well they sprouted. :) One of the red chiles was seed-bound, but I cut it free. We'll see if it develops properly.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Harvested two Tolli peppers so far. Pretty decent pepper. Tastes similar to a bell pepper but just a tad more sweet and flavorful. Almost got a ripe Tequila Sunrise pepper. Can't wait to try it.

applestar
Mod

Here's one of my etkezesi paprika. It spent the winter doing absolutely nothing in this 6 inch pot near a cold window in the back of the Winter Wonderland light set up, and I kind of forgot about it. So that during the winter, it was allowed to go bone dry several times. :oops:

When I rescued it from behind the other plants the other day to put it outside, it was doing this :shock:
Etkezesi Paprika
Etkezesi Paprika
I'm going to plant it in the ground for the season. It's ready to grow! :D

mattie g
Green Thumb

I've got three jalapenos and two anaheims in pots that have started of really well so far. The jalapenos already have five or six flowers on them, with quite a few more buds ready to pop. The anaheims are looking to bud soon, too. I'm excited about the anaheims - it's my first time growing them - because I'm going to dry them and use them for marinades and sauce for breakfast burritos!

I also have three habaneros in a pot that have exploded in the past couple weeks and have the beginnings of buds on them. I'm really surprised by this since I normally don't get habaneros until much later in the season (August-September timeframe). The fact that it's been relatively cool this spring makes it even more surprising. There's one timy habanero in the ground - it was an extra in one of the cells I bought, so I figured I'd put him in and see what happened. He's growing slowly but surely!

This is the first time I haven't grown bell peppers since I started gardening a few years ago. As much as I love bells, I can't justify the relatively low return (at most two fully ripened, I.e. colored, peppers) with the limited garden/pot space I have available to me. It's a little sad, but I think I'll be OK once I start harvesting the other guys!

applestar
Mod

I started threads for some individual varieties, but this looks like the place for this one. :wink:

Here is that Etkezesi Paprika as of this morning:
image.jpg
also this is SIVRI BIBER:
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

Here are some of the peppers I grew this year:
(Ignore the mature cucumber at top :P)
image.jpg
from left to right: Peppadew and Scotch Bonnet,
Jalapeños harvested green because the plant wilted all of a sudden,
Fish (less variegated) and Aji Hot Lemon/Lemon Drop,
Fully colored Etkezesi Paprika and Sivri Biber

applestar
Mod

Here's an even better photo I took before chopping up most of the reds for fermented pepper base to make Sriracha sauce. 8). I roasted the Etkezesi Paprika to then dehydrate and add to a roasted paprika mix.
image.jpg
I'll be able to make a second batch of something with the yellow Hot Lemon Drops soon... Maybe a second batch of fermented pepper sauce :D

Return to “Pepper Forum”