ion

Re: 2014 Pepper Garden -- What varieties are you growing?

Don't do it, it's not worth it. Shishito's grow and yield pretty good. Basically, trouble free plants that makes tasty peppers (with spicy surprises) for roasting :twisted:

I'm actually growing shishitos partly for seeds because I forgot to save seeds :oops:. I was lucky enough to find some old seeds from the original packet.

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Peppadew and jalapeno, although the jalapeno got crowded out by the peppadew so no fruits. Next year maybe :)

This winter I will also start some Thai Sun that Roger is giving away and some purple sweet peppers but I am going to have to sneak peppers into my mom's garden if I want to grow all this!

I have peppadew seeds by the way. Let me know if you want.

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

I was worried last night that I was not going to grow my major league jalapenos. I found 2 seeds.. I just hope 1 germinates so I can have a plant to make more seeds. My wife hates hot peppers but loves the major league pepper.

In my hunt I also found more varieties... I don't know if they will grace my garden, or a few family members gardens, either way they will be started by me and eaten by me at some point this year:

Chinese Giant Pepper
Red Macroni Bell
Sweet Chocolate Bell
Ukranian Sweet Pepper
Hot Banana Pepper
Sweet Banana Pepper
Tabasco Pepper

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

This year I am only growing:

California Wonder
Jalapeno
Serrano
Peter Pepper
Benajul Market
Piment D' Espelette
Fish
Hawaiian Sweet Hot

Inevitably I will get some more from my nursery (that I now work at :D ) then get them home then realize I do not have room for them then put them to close together then not get much fruit. Not that this has ever happened before.

kayjay
Green Thumb

So far, just early Calwonder. I will certainly branch out next year after I learn more about my yard. I have no idea what the soil or sunlight situation is. :S

I'd love to find some of those Major League jalapenos, just because my SO and I are huge baseball fans. :D

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

I will save some of the seeds this year and you can have a few for next year!! My family loved them.

outdoorjim

We've been growing jalapenos, habaneros and thai bird's eyes, all in their first year.

We have a cayenne pepper and a green capsicum in their second years too - we had more last year but they didn't make it through the autumn.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Terrible pepper growing seasons the last 2 years. I still end up in the fall with way more hot peppers than I know what to do with. Limiting the pepper patch this year:

Thai Hot
Super Chili
Jalapeno M
Garden Salsa
Anaheim
Carmen
Marconi
Giant Marconi
King of the North

Steve

applestar
Mod

Ooh I'm putting that "King of the North" on my next year's wish/growlist. 8)
Marconi and Giant Marconi were on this years but I'm trying to grow too many as it is.... :roll:
...Shishito and. Yatsufusa also put on hold until next year. :wink:

imafan26
Mod

Where are you getting your scotch bonnet peppers from? I can find habaneros and I have Caribbean red but it is hard to actually find scotch bonnets anywhere.

grrlgeek

imafan26 wrote:Where are you getting your scotch bonnet peppers from? I can find habaneros and I have Caribbean red but it is hard to actually find scotch bonnets anywhere.
imafan,

We bought a start from a nursery online two years ago. I can't remember the name of the place at all, but recall that it was on the east coast. It was an awesome plant and very productive. I'm still using the peppers, dried whole, from that plant. I saved quite a few seeds and I'm growing from those this year.

I've seen Caribbean Red as another name for Scotch Bonnet, so maybe you already have them, just by another name, as the saying goes. The pictures I found of "Reds," though, look less wrinkly than the Bonneys and more like a habanero. I don't have any fresh peppers to compare to, but these are my dried ones... and despite being dried, they were almost exactly that shape when fresh.
bonney1.jpg
bonney1.jpg (33.04 KiB) Viewed 3594 times
bonney2.jpg
bonneys_2014.jpg
bonneys_2014.jpg (52.53 KiB) Viewed 3594 times
If you'd like to experiment, I'd be delighted to send you some of my seeds. Just send me a PM. In the alternative, I saw that Baker Creek lists Scotch Bonnet in their 2014 catalog: https://www.rareseeds.com/search/?F_Keyw ... h%20bonnet , and that may be worth exploring too.

Greetings,
Devon

kayjay
Green Thumb

IndyGerdener wrote:I will save some of the seeds this year and you can have a few for next year!! My family loved them.
That would be fantastic! TIA! :D

imafan26
Mod

I have my seeds in hand but I'm still waiting for it to warm up to start the seeds. In the meantime, I have transplanted some of the super chilies.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I really would not want to be without jalapenos and they do okay for me.

Can't get over this: I find it very interesting that the plants in greatest number in my hot pepper patch for probably the last 15+ years are the Super Chili. It looks as though Imafan26 has some of the same appreciation for those guys! Hawai'I could not be much different from here but, there you are :).

Certainly, there are plenty of peppers that will not be able to handle the cool nights here. Super Chili must have more than one kind of heat. Pretty and, for me, easy to grow. All-American.

Steve

Scrappy Coco
Cool Member

I just yesterday planted California Wonder pepper, Hot Hungarian Wax pepper, and Sweet Banana pepper seeds.

vaparks

I'm just starting out so I am doing simple plants. Just your basic bell pepper and jalapenos. But I think next year I will get some more. I am orginally from Texas and the "spicy" food that is around here in Wisconsin is nothing to me. And it's so hard to find any kind of pepper at the grocery/markets around here.

MB3

yeah, you really need to grow more hotties.

I am not sure what all I will be growin this year, most (not all) of the seeds sown are all pretty old, lots of floaters on soaking, and who knows what will germinate.

I did get a few Scotch Bonnet seeds, they haven't popped up yet, but it hasn't even been a full 2 weeks yet and I have no heat mat and my house is drafty (and weather is all over the place).
I also have more recent habanero and cayanne seeds no sign of them up yet either.
I planted many old seeds of various bells, rellenos, poblanos, serranos, cayanne, cherry peppers, some thai type, and maybe more, forget offhand.
hoping to get some signs out of the old seeds (and newer ones o/c)

when the peppers from the give away arrive, I will plant those too, unless it is just way too late.

applestar
Mod

I'm not worried about late starting hot peppers because I'll (bring them inside and) overwinter them anyway. Smaller plants can be treated like house plants in containers. Bigger plants are pruned down and kept dormant in the unheated garage until deep winter forces temps in the garage down below mid-20's (usually around end of December), then I bring them inside to gradually wake up and resume growth.

Either way, they start the following season already blooming (and fruiting). My current winter peppers are waking up. 8)

SunBakedParadise

I am trying a whole new 100% organic and sustainable potting soil mixture for my peppers this year so trying to keep it basic this year Orange, Red, Yellow Bells, Santa Fe, Anaheim, Hatch, Jalapenos, Thai Chilis...but always gotta have some hotties around, Habaneros, "Chocolate" Bhut Jolokai, Maruga Scorpions

applestar
Mod

Among my peppers, the prettiest seedling award goes to Bolivian Rainbow :D
Bolivian Rainbow pepper seedling with lavender seedlings
Bolivian Rainbow pepper seedling with lavender seedlings

davidschweer

My family loves spicy food and one of our close relatives is from Peru and turned me on to this pepper called Rocoto! Really spicy and great for making sauces!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocoto
They last forever and are a great addition to your garden and kitchen if its growable in your area!

Wow some of you guys really love your peppers uh!! :shock: :shock: Its hard for me to use so many peppers and they usually just go to waste! What do you guys planting over 20 plants do with all your peppers?

imafan26
Mod

What do we do with all the peppers you ask

Finadene, hot pepper sauce, chili pepper water, soups, stews, (leaves too), dried (they get hotter). I have to plant a lot of tobasco and super chilies the birds will cap the plant and not leave a single pepper. That reminds me pepper spray. Anaheims and poblanos are good for roasting, stuffing, stir fries.

I can't do the really hot ones though the Habanero, Naga Bhut Jolokia, and Trinidad scorpion are for fun and trade.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

just hots this year, unless I can score a bell or pimento plant for free from somewhere:

goat horn
red cherry
aji limon/lemon drop
bulgarian carrot

planted 20 seeds of each, we'll see how they germinate. the bulgarian carrot from saved seed from last year are almost all up already. some will be used directly in cooking. most will go towards hot sauce.

outdoorjim

My housemate just purchased a Trinidad Scorpion

Every time I even look at it a little too hard, there's blood in my undies

Countryladiesgardens
Green Thumb

This is our first year starting peppers from seed. We are growing Jalapenos, Habaneros, Serrano, Cayenne, and Ghost Peppers. We hope to grow a few more varieties this year but are having a hard time locating the seeds.
Attachments
Here you can see some peppers and Mr Dog. I also have some Amaranthus growing in a hanging basket.
Here you can see some peppers and Mr Dog. I also have some Amaranthus growing in a hanging basket.

feldon30

I'm not really into hots (jalapeno is as hot as I go), but I am growing some Italian frying types namely Carmen and Giant Marconi.

Next year, I've been advised that I should grow something like Trinidad Perfume which gives you that fruity, rich flavor of a habanero but without the 400k Scovilles.

Years ago I grew an orange habanero plant and got a ton of peppers off it. I made a pot of chili with two and it was almost inedible. :shock: :lol:

Countryladiesgardens
Green Thumb

Thought you'd all like to see an update of some of our peppers! :-()

Here is a photo of some of our Habaneros, Dads, Jalapenos, Chile de Arbol, Thai Dragon, Serano, Paprika, Wiri Wiri, Scotch Bonnets and Super Hot reds!
Attachments
Habaneros, Dads, Jalapenos, Chile de Arbol, Thai Dragon, Serano, Paprika, Wiri Wiri, Scotch Bonnets, Super Hot reds
Habaneros, Dads, Jalapenos, Chile de Arbol, Thai Dragon, Serano, Paprika, Wiri Wiri, Scotch Bonnets, Super Hot reds

Cola82
Green Thumb

Out here in rural Oregon there aren't many spicy peppers, either. You have to go to the Mexican supermarket to get good peppers (and tomatillos--even when they have them at the supermarket, they're always rotten).

It's also surprisingly difficult to find interesting pepper seeds and starts at the gardening centers and the nursery, so I saved some seeds from the red chiles we like and a habanero. I have no idea if they'll even sprout, but I figured it was worth a shot to see what I get. I should have done the seed exchange. Maybe next year.

So I'm growing a serrano, a california wonder orange, and I'm attempting to grow the red peppers and habaneros from dinner.

Countryladiesgardens
Green Thumb

Good luck with your peppers, we will be building our Hoop House soon to put ours in! Pretty exciting! Sounds like you have quite the selection! :-()

Habanero

This is my first year growing peppers in dirt and not a pot! *gasp!*

So I started slow this year, not really sure about the spot I'm using or how they'll do in this soil. Two jalapeno, two cayenne, and 1 "thai ornamental," which kind of looks like it bears the Thai priki-nu that my Thai grandma is so fond of.

I'm an avid pepper consumer, the hotter the better, so if all goes well then I'm moving on up to habanero next year!

imafan26
Mod

These are the places where I get most of my pepper seeds from.
Pepper Gal
https://www.peppergal.com/

Tomato growers supply
https://www.tomatogrowers.com/Peppers/departments/15/

Pepper Joe (Really hot peppers)
pepperjoe.com

Kitazawa seed (Asian peppers)
https://www.kitazawaseed.com/seeds_pepper.html

Cola82
Green Thumb

Well they sprouted. :) One of the red chiles was seed-bound, but I cut it free. We'll see if it develops properly.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Harvested two Tolli peppers so far. Pretty decent pepper. Tastes similar to a bell pepper but just a tad more sweet and flavorful. Almost got a ripe Tequila Sunrise pepper. Can't wait to try it.

applestar
Mod

Here's one of my etkezesi paprika. It spent the winter doing absolutely nothing in this 6 inch pot near a cold window in the back of the Winter Wonderland light set up, and I kind of forgot about it. So that during the winter, it was allowed to go bone dry several times. :oops:

When I rescued it from behind the other plants the other day to put it outside, it was doing this :shock:
Etkezesi Paprika
Etkezesi Paprika
I'm going to plant it in the ground for the season. It's ready to grow! :D

mattie g
Green Thumb

I've got three jalapenos and two anaheims in pots that have started of really well so far. The jalapenos already have five or six flowers on them, with quite a few more buds ready to pop. The anaheims are looking to bud soon, too. I'm excited about the anaheims - it's my first time growing them - because I'm going to dry them and use them for marinades and sauce for breakfast burritos!

I also have three habaneros in a pot that have exploded in the past couple weeks and have the beginnings of buds on them. I'm really surprised by this since I normally don't get habaneros until much later in the season (August-September timeframe). The fact that it's been relatively cool this spring makes it even more surprising. There's one timy habanero in the ground - it was an extra in one of the cells I bought, so I figured I'd put him in and see what happened. He's growing slowly but surely!

This is the first time I haven't grown bell peppers since I started gardening a few years ago. As much as I love bells, I can't justify the relatively low return (at most two fully ripened, I.e. colored, peppers) with the limited garden/pot space I have available to me. It's a little sad, but I think I'll be OK once I start harvesting the other guys!

applestar
Mod

I started threads for some individual varieties, but this looks like the place for this one. :wink:

Here is that Etkezesi Paprika as of this morning:
image.jpg
also this is SIVRI BIBER:
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

Here are some of the peppers I grew this year:
(Ignore the mature cucumber at top :P)
image.jpg
from left to right: Peppadew and Scotch Bonnet,
Jalapeños harvested green because the plant wilted all of a sudden,
Fish (less variegated) and Aji Hot Lemon/Lemon Drop,
Fully colored Etkezesi Paprika and Sivri Biber

applestar
Mod

Here's an even better photo I took before chopping up most of the reds for fermented pepper base to make Sriracha sauce. 8). I roasted the Etkezesi Paprika to then dehydrate and add to a roasted paprika mix.
image.jpg
I'll be able to make a second batch of something with the yellow Hot Lemon Drops soon... Maybe a second batch of fermented pepper sauce :D

Return to “Pepper Forum”