tenderloingardener
Cool Member

Container Pepper Growing

Hi!
What a crazy bit of synchrnicity the appearance of a pepper forum is! I've been kind of thinking about the possibility of growing peppers for a week or so now. I came onto the forum for another reason. but here you are!

A store where we used to get some of out gardening stuff is going out of business :( and we were there pawing through the dregs on the last dfay. I was going through seed packets and picked up one for Anaheim peppers. My husband was right-I don'rt have space to grow those. We only have containers and they can't be more than 12" at the base because they sit along a ledge. I put the seed packet back. but I didn't let go of the idea. Because of my space situation there isn't much, aside from herbs, that I can grow to eat. Eating something grown yourself has a special kind of magic, right?

I get "partial sun" meaning about 2 hours full sun in the morning and 2-3 hours in the afternoon.

So, what are my options from pepper experts? Is there anything mild I can grow in a pot? I wouldn't mind having a mild one and a hot one.

Thanks!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Check out the great pepper seed giveaway: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... =1&t=56539

The Thai Sun that is one of the giveaway varieties, is a very hot pepper (50,000 - 100,000 Scovilles) on a small plant suitable for your containers.

For a milder dwarf pepper plant, look for Mirasol chili peppers (2,500 - 5,000 Scovilles)

applestar
Mod

I think you could have grown the Anaheim in a 5 gal bucket which is 12 inches across the top diameter (slightly smaller on the bottom). For insurance, you could up that to a 7 gal bucket which I sometimes see in home brewing supply.

But jalapeños will grow quite happily in a 10 inch pot and other hot peppers I have tried growing (fish, aji lemon, scotch bonnet, Peru white hab, de arbol ...were even less demanding of container space in their first year. ETKEZESI PAPRIKA (Hungarian sweet pepper) was the only one that needed a bigger container.

Two summers ago when. I grew bell peppers and poblano peppers in a 11 inch deep window box, at the end of the season, the bell peppers basically filled an 11x11x11 cubic space and the Poblanos took up a somewhat wider space. I posted photos here :arrow: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 21#p258121

...hmmm looking at the photos myself, they might have taken up a bit more width. I can't remember the dimensions of those window boxes. But I got them from Smith & Hawken on sale when the local store closed. 8)

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

From my experiences, with that amount of sun you can grow peppers. Rainbows suggestions of variety are good. Off the top of my head, another type you can try is Bulgarian Carrot pepper.

tenderloingardener
Cool Member

Hey-thanks you guys! I have never heard of the marisol or the Bulgarian carrot pepper!

It looks like theThai Sun is the same or very similar to the "blistering" tiny peppers I get from the Farmer's Market from time to time. they dry well, and for heard of the pepper mentioned byme a tiny amount will heat up a whole pot of food. Having a milder alternative growing at the same time would be ideal.
I'm going to check out the varieties suggested.

Thanks again!
Heaven is a place where nothing, nothing ever happens-Talking Heads

kayjay
Green Thumb

When I grew jalapenos, they actually did better in the containers. This could be because they got a bit more sun than the ones in the garden plot, but I know I've read that peppers like their roots constricted.

beakhouse

Being new (howdy, BTW), has anyone tried Annaheim peppers in containers? I'm assuming they wouldn't be much different than bell or pablano, etc. ?

applestar
Mod

Based on the varieties I have grown, size of containers needed go something like bell < poblano < Anaheim. (Though there are a wide selection of bell pepper varieties)

Anaheim could probably use containers as big as 4-6 ft tomatoes (10-15 gal.) though I haven't tried growing them in containers -- they grew to about 5 ft in the ground.

Return to “Pepper Forum”