webmaster
Site Admin

Helpful Gardener Forum Pepper Seed Giveaway!

I saw that Pepper Joes was recommended by our members as a reputable place to buy top quality pepper seeds so that's what I did. I purchased some top quality pepper seeds to give away because I love our community members, you are the best and friendliest group of gardeners! :)

I purchased seeds to give away to our members to grow and discuss in our Pepper Forum!

Here are the guidelines for this FREE Pepper Seed Giveaway:

1. If you are brand new to the forum as of February 12th 2014, please make three posts in our Pepper Forum and you are qualified to receive your choice of two varieties.

2. These seeds are for your personal use only. Please do not ask for more than what I am offering.

3. Rule 2 does not apply if you are a longtime or active member of the forum.

3. Send me a PM and I will send you your choice of two seed varieties. I need the following information:
a. Name
b. Address
c. Name of the two pepper seed varieties you want

Here are the varieties and descriptions. The first two varieties are easy to grow. If you are new to peppers give those a try. The second two varieties may be a little touchy and are best for gardeners with pepper growing experience.

1. Early Jalapeno
This is the classic jalapeno, can be smoked to make chipotle or stuffed." It is suitable for colder climates, is productive and hardy.

2. Thai Sun
This is a miniature pepper plant that grows to 12 inches high. It's a perfect chili pepper for growing in containers and pots in limited spaces like on balconies and small gardens. One plant can produce hundreds of hot peppers! They ripen early and produce all season long. A great hot pepper plant for beginners and those in limited spaces!

3. Organic Golden Habanero
This is a very hot and flavorful pepper. The plant grows up to five feet tall and is very productive. Be sure to have a plan in place for drying, canning or using these peppers! Popular recipes include apricot golden habanero jelly, good for sauces, chilis, seafood and soups.

4. Trinidad Scorpion
This variety is related to the Butch T Chile. It is an extremely hot pepper that does especially well in hot climates and enjoys about six hours of sun per day, with regular watering. These plants grow to approximately 3 feet.

5. Carolina Reapers
I purchased a small amount of Carolina Reapers to give away. These are reputed to be the world's hottest peppers. They're a hundred times scarier than a jalapeno. Serious stuff for serious pepper heads. I'm reserving these for our active members. However, if you are new to the forum and really really want some free Carolina Reaper seeds, please make at least three posts in our pepper forum and send me a Private Message (PM) and, depending on supply, will send some out to you! ;)

If you have a Facebook account, a Twitter account, blog, or whatever, please tell a friend about the giveaway!

applestar
Mod

:clap: :clap: :clap:

!! Thank you !!

MB3

w00t

I had to jump on this
the thai sounds great, since I need more container grows (little garden at my duplex rental, may rent some additional small plots in comm garden if I have money this year), and I have wanted to do a super hot some day (I have only grown jalapenos and cayanne and lower in heat, tho I got orange habaneros in trade this year, and saved seed, so I passed on the golden habs in this).

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

MB3 just to make sure you know Carolina Reapers are Guinness record holders at 1.6 -2.2 million on the Scovile scale. The Trinidad Scorpions once held the record at 500,000 - 1.5 million. That is very hot, as in hurt yourself hot, jalepenos are around 2,000 - 10,000, habenero's 100,000–350,000 in general there are so many different strains of habanero now they can vary.

This has been a public service announcement by me.

Good deal Webbie, I will pass, just got done going through another 16 peppers I just received. They don't stop coming, thinking about filling my mail box with mortar.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Once again, very nice of you to do these giveaways, Webmaster. I got tons of seeds already so I will pass. If I had to choose I would have chose the Golden Habaneros. But I already have two seedlings going, but they are Orange Habs. Not sure if they are the same of yours. Jalapenos are too boring for me, and I am not interested in touching the Scorpions or Reapers. Way too hot for me.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Yikes! Just reading about these hurts!

I will definitely pass.

But, thanks for the offer.

clthors
Newly Registered

Just reading the descriptions makes my mouth hurt.

MB3

clthors wrote:Just reading the descriptions makes my mouth hurt.
lol

that is just the start of it.

well, I had already requested one of the SUPER hots. Not the new and improved insanity of reaper, but all the scorpions (and bhut/ghost and even scotch bonnets, etc) sound like one plant will be sufficient to melt me from a distance. my kids already complain about my heat in dishes with cayanne and jalapenos and habs.
btw, I really like habs in hot cocoa, anyone ever try that? bakers or dark chocolate, some water and / or milk/soymilk, a bit of sugar and maybe some high grade cinnamon with a few slices of hab I there.

webmaster
Site Admin

Chocolate and hot pepper is a great combination! In cooking, combining sweet and sour, sweet and hot, salty and sweet, makes for interesting tastes.

clthors
Newly Registered

MB3 wrote:
clthors wrote:Just reading the descriptions makes my mouth hurt.
lol

that is just the start of it.

well, I had already requested one of the SUPER hots. Not the new and improved insanity of reaper, but all the scorpions (and bhut/ghost and even scotch bonnets, etc) sound like one plant will be sufficient to melt me from a distance. my kids already complain about my heat in dishes with cayanne and jalapenos and habs.
btw, I really like habs in hot cocoa, anyone ever try that? bakers or dark chocolate, some water and / or milk/soymilk, a bit of sugar and maybe some high grade cinnamon with a few slices of hab I there.

I have never heard of habs in hot cocoa! But my parents eat melted cheese on their apple pie too. With the hot peppers I mostly use it for cooking oil and when I say "I" I mean my parents. lol

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Yes, Chiles and Cacao (chocolate) go really well together.

kayjay
Green Thumb

What a nice offer! Are Canadians eligible? ;) I will try to contribute three non-pointless posts to qualify. I could easily just go buy seeds, but I love the idea of sharing and exchanging.

I love jalapenos and they were the only truly successful veggie I had in my previous attempt at vegetable gardening.

imafan26
Mod

Thanks for the the offer. I would really like to try some that I don't have. It is really great to be part of the forum.

gillespieza

Wow, this sounds awesome - are South Africans eligible? I can send some Cayenne pepper seeds in return - just harvested a batch. The pepper is quite sweet, but if you leave the seeds in, wow are they hot (imho - dunno what they are on the Scale)

beakhouse

Awesome way to break in the newbies!

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Oh I'd love to try Thai Sun so I can put some on the patio in pots. Well ok only 1 or 2 but I'll give the rest to my family and friends :)

bryce d
Cool Member

I think I will take some. Being a wimp all I want is jalapeno's.

webmaster
Site Admin

They'll be on the way soon! :)

applepie18
Newly Registered

Hi! I could really use some help growing peppers! I have tried buying plants and also putting seeds into the garden and no luck! I believe I'm in growing area 5. I did get a green house last May and this will be my 1st real season with it and need some advice!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Have they gone out? It said soon on 2/23 which is about two weeks ago. I have not recv'd tomato or pepper seeds. It is getting late for starting peppers.

mrbelvetron

My pepper seeds arrived in the mail yesterday and are now in their containers getting ready to germinate. We have a good long season down here in Texas and I'm looking forward to it!

Scrappy Coco
Cool Member

I received the seeds. Thank you very much! It was so nice to receive them written with pen and with a smiley on one of them. Here, have one too. :) Thank you.

webmaster
Site Admin

You're welcome! My nine year old addressed the envelopes and I hand labeled the seed packets. Thanks for the smile! :)

Keep us updated on the progress of the peppers!

kayjay
Green Thumb

I received my seeds this week, also. Thanks so much! I think I'll have to wait until next year as my house is still too cold and I don't have a warming mat - that'll be on my Christmas list for Santa this year. ;)

MB3

I received the seeds
thanks so much!
sadly some got crushed by the mail =( , but I hope to have a couple that will germinate from each type, I will be happy to get even one plant of each =)

webmaster
Site Admin

Wow, that's crazy that they got crushed. I wrapped the coin envelopes in tissue to protect them. Maybe double-up next time! ;)

MB3

I have been pretty lucky never having had so many crushed till now, but yeah they were in pretty sad shape
guess it happens .
the thai sun were fine, but they were smaller than the other seeds and seemed less brittle than the two super hots for whatever reason.
again, not trying to gripe. a bit sad perhaps that the mail crushed it, but not your fault.
I just finally got a seed warming mat, so the remainder are putting that mat to the test =) O:)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

MB3 remember that HOT peppers can take 2-4 weeks some time to germ. Be patient

MB3

yeah, I know

2 of the Reaper seeds already germinated last week =) (I recently finally got a seed warming mat!)
I think the other seeds were too far gone, but perhaps there will be a few more to germinate.
no sign of the Scorpion, they may not have had any seeds that survived the mail (they all looked really bad), but my I will hold on to hope :)
still waiting on the Thai Sun to germinate, also. they mostly looked fine from mail, so I hope think a few should be viable

MB3

I can't seem to edit the post above, so will update with a new msg
I have 3 of the Reapers and 1 Thai Sun going. Going to have some HEAT this year if these all mature and fruit! Time to brush up on making hot sauces =)

beakhouse

I received my seeds! Thank you! Thank you! I am totally stoked to get these started. :-() The weather finally warmed up and stayed warm, so in they go! Thanks again for your generosity in sharing.

webmaster
Site Admin

You're welcome! :)

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Funny I got these so quickly! Quicker than seeds from SA!

Thanks so much! I am going to start some now and grow them in some terracotta pots :) I can't wait!

Return to “Pepper Forum”