dracula13

Jalapeno Pruning

I had a caterpillar problem on one of my about 5 week old Jalapeno Plant, but I fixed it. I have a couple of questions:

1)Should I prune them now?? At all?
2)Do they grow this slow? Or is mine growing slower than other people's?

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1010 ... 8111162905

Meatburner

It's the same as your tomato plant discussion so leave it alone and let it grow taller before you think about pruning the plant. You may not even need to. Let the plant grow and get healthy first.

PS - I would suggest you go back to your profile page and put in you zone information as well as at least the state you are in. You are posting in several threads asking information and that information will be very helpful in getting accurate feedback. And welcome to the forum BTW.

imafan26
Mod

Peppers grow slow but grow even slower in colder weather. I usually don't have to prune peppers until after they have produced the first cycle of peppers.

It looks more like slug damage than caterpillar, so check early in the morning or in the evening with a flashlight to see if the critters are around. You could also use worry free or beer bait traps.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

I defiantly prune mine but I an in zone 3 and grow them in the house from September to May when they go out. Once out I leave then be.

Pruning I cut crack to the last two true leafs. :)

imafan26
Mod

In southern Florida it is probably an outdoor plant. Jalapeno's aren't too bad but bell peppers usually need all the foliage they can get to keep the fruit from getting sunscald. Peppers prefer to grow in warmer weather so it is not that much of a problem now but in summer you would want to keep all the leaves you can.

https://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/hot_and_su ... vegetables

Return to “Pepper Forum”