SatyrGrey

Shriveled up red things... Peppers, yeah, that's it!

So, for the longest time, my mom has had a pepper rope hanging in the kitchen. While she was on a new-paint-for-the-house kick, she let me take it down and salvage the peppers.... I think they are the Giant Chili Pepper sort... one was about 6" long.

How would I go about growing them?

imafan26
Mod

Pepper seeds keep a long time, but how long was the pepper ristra hanging? You can try to germinate the seeds but this really is not the best time of year to do it.

Peppers like night temps around 70 to germinate best.

SatyrGrey

Some of the seeds look a little sad, but some look freshly dried. I have no idea how old they are, certainly older than a year--- but I hear that some seeds can last millenniums and still sprout.... I'll see if they are up to the challenge late spring/early summer

Mostly, I'm interested in the actual how-to of growing peppers from seeds.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Not much different from planting any other seed. Check out the seed starting basics thread in the Seed Starting section.

The main thing about peppers is they do need warmth to germinate. You will need a heat mat or some source of warmth. Soil needs to be about 80 deg F. They will germinate with less, but the cooler the soil the longer it will take and the less % germination you are likely to get. They won't germinate at all below 60 deg. At 60 some will germinate, but it will take them three weeks. If you can get the soil temperature up to 80 - 85, your germination % will be much higher (but will depend also on the condition of your aging dried seeds) and they will germinate in a week or less.

The other thing about peppers is that they are pretty slow growing. I start them indoors, early, to give them plenty of time to get going. You can start them 10 - 12 weeks ahead of when your weather will be OK to transplant them outside.

While inside they will need plenty of light, a window sill won't do.

I looked back at your introductory post which was titled Montana. I guess that is where you are? It would be really helpful if you would change your profile, so that will show under your screen name.

applestar
Mod

FWIW last year? I found a souvenir pack of mixed hot pepper seeds from Arizona some 10-15 yrs later and tried sowing them. All except one variety out of 5 germinated I think at about 50-60% germination rate (% is mentioned in a thread somewhere). After growing them for a season and enjoying the harvested fruits, I was able to harvest fully ripe peppers and collect fresh seeds. Never hurts to try. :wink:

The jalapeño peppers I mention in my other threads are either original or grown from saved seeds from those. I didn't overwinter the Anaheims or Poblanos but I have the seeds if I want to grow them again. My SIL over wintered the Poblano plant I gave her last year and grew it through this season. She's overwintering it again inside and at Thanksgiving, she had 4-5 red peppers on her plant in the dining room. ...and I forget what other varieties I grew but I have the fresher saved seeds. :()

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I'm gonna go negative on you, SatyrGrey.

My 1st concern is that you may be growing something that has little use in your family. Years? Just an ornament? Would other types of peppers be more useful? Jalapenos for poppers? Large bells for stuffing? Tiny sweets for snacking? Hotz?!

My 2nd concern may have nothing to do with your pepper ristra, SatryGrey. But, I have had problems with peppers crossing in my garden. Since the main veggie garden is at a distant location, I can grow a variety at home ~ like Thai Hot, which takes up almost no room anyway ~ and save those seeds. I don't see anyone in my neighborhood with peppers in their small gardens.

Steve

imafan26
Mod

Seeds of all kinds keep best if they are preserved properly and kept cold and dry. Different seeds have different life spans. Peppers seeds keep fairly well at least 5 years. The longest lived seeds I have are dill at 13 years, and beans 10 years. Lettuce 5 years, corn 1 year with greatly reduced germination, zucchini 1-2 years with greatly reduced germination, cucumber 5 years.

Most seeds can last 3-5 years, some more, some are very unstable and will only last 1-2 years. Seeds should be kept dry, preferably in an envelope so it can stay in relative darkness in the refrigerator.
You should date your seed and only remove as many seeds as you need to plant. Seeds last longer if they are stored at a constant temperature and not go in and out of the refrigerator.

https://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/hortcult/ho ... edsavr.htm

SatyrGrey

DigitS' - I don't keep veggies for ornaments, my mom did.... she's lame like that... I wanted to tear them down and grow them--- I love spicy food, and I think they would make AMAZING Stuffed Poppers. (I usually use jalapenos, stuff them with seasoned ground beef or sausage and cream cheese, then wrap them in bacon. Heaven!) or sell to sell them. I also think they would make for wonderful relish, and possible pickling experiments.

It was just something my mom had around the house, so I figured I'd make use of the poor thing, or at least put it out of its misery.

You've had invasive peppers??

Imafan26 - Yeah, the millennium seeds are usually trees.

AppleStar - Mmmmm, Peppers.

Rainbow - Touche

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

There is nothing wrong with growing ornamentals. Peppers, flowers, lovely things for the landscape - it's all good. Still, lots of folks grow things in their vegetable gardens that they never harvest despite a nice crop and all the effort it took to grow them.

It is a little surprising to me when folks say that they planted a vegetable that they don't like to eat or because they happen to have lots of seeds. Or, they allowed plants to take over far more of the veggie garden than for any practical reason - just because they "grew." I guess I've always tried to be practical with my garden resources of space, growing season, etc. etc.

No, I didn't mean that peppers came back invasive from saved seeds. I meant that sweet banana pepper seed came back in multiple shapes and sizes and all of them hot! That was one of my experiences saving pepper seed and it was disappointing that time. I already had a good many hot peppers and few that were sweet. Isolation works.

Steve

Return to “Pepper Forum”