valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

saving pepper seeds.

Greetings, I have some pepper plants inside. I want to save the seeds from one type of pepper, this pepper goes from green to yellow to red. Should I let it go to red before picking for seeds? I was wondering if the seeds are viable when the pepper is yellow. What's you thought?

Richard

applestar
Mod

I believe pepper seeds are mature at color break stage just like tomatoes'. So yellow fruits should yield viable seeds.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

only problem is (at least I'm told) that peppers are notorious for hybridizing with other peppers. If you grew other peppers nearby, your seeds may not breed true. Any experts able to confirm that?

imafan26
Mod

peppers do hybridize easily and they are wind as well as bee pollinated, but I grow a lot of peppers of different kinds and depending on species not all of them will cross. Some are very stable.

Now, Jalapeno's are a different matter altogether. Jalapeno's have been hybridized so much that heat varies on the same plant. Hybrids, even if they are grown in isolation will produce progeny different from the parent.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

I have some peppers inside that are with fruit, no other peppers near them were flowering, I was watching for that. I need these to be true to kind. I had other plants, that were not so lucky.

I'm concerned about these seeds as they are my only chance for viable seeds of this strain so I may wait for them to turn red.

I do have a very few that are from one that was yellow I may try sprouting a couple of those. Thanks for the response.

Richard

These are yellow, to my eye, however family say they are green. I have never allowed on of these to turn red, I have no idea how long that will take.

Richard

Return to “Pepper Forum”