ion

Re: What is a good sweet pepper variety

You could also try to make your own variety. Kaala looks like a good parent to use for cross pollination. I thinks it's a true breeding plant and already has some resistance and yield qualities you want. Cross it with your favorite large bell pepper(s), the results could be interesting. I'm confidant the F1 will have nematode resistance similar to Kaala, but I don't know about the bacterial wilt resistance.

imafan26
Mod

That's a thought, I have not saved seeds from anything except the hot peppers. I might try to do that and see what happens. BTW Kaala is not only small, it isn't particularly tasty either.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/redloon/7155182988/

I may have to borrow your violin Steve.

Tabasco, superchili, cayennne, anaheim, banana, hungarian wax, Thai chili, serrano, and bird chili do the best. California bell and yellow bell get maybe 5 peppers in two rounds; the second round gets considerably smaller. The tabasco, superchili, and bird chilies can live for years. The others will last a few months. Habanero can live a couple of years if I keep the pepper load down under 15. Caribbean Red actually does a little better. I am growing Bhut Jolokia and Trinidad scorpion for the first time. The Bhut doesn't look like a normal pepper plant and I had some chlorosis on the plant so I changed fertilizers and it rained and now the plant is starting to look better. At first I thought it might be a virus, but the other peppers all around it looked fine. The Trinidad scorpion was a lot easier to grow and so far the seedlings are about a month old and they are doing fine. Jalapeno will grow but I have had problems with inconsistency with the heat and so so far I have only had one Jalapeno live longer than 6 months and that one was looking pretty sorry for a while before it came back.

Most of the problems with the peppers are black spots on the leaves. The bigger the leaves, the bigger the problem gets. Most of the hot chilies have small leaves that do well. I do get some mildew especially especially after it rains, but that is a problem with a lot of the plants. Humidity here is around 80% most of the time and sometimes it goes up to 90%. It is rarely below 70%. I don't have a regular spray program but I do try to spray within 3 days of the rain stopping. Peppers grown in pots off the ground usually don't get nematodes, but in the ground it happens.

I have been adding more compost to the garden and I have actually done soil replacements in some parts of it so I haven't seen nematode infested roots for awhile. But, I also grow cultivars with nematode resistance anyway.

beakhouse

Chinese Giant is a favorite of mine, but the seeds have to be ordered (at least the first time planted), because for some reason, that variety is not carried in my area.

applestar
Mod

I'm trying a number of sweet pepper varieties for the first time. They were highly recommended, but I'll be able to post my own review later this season.

Return to “Pepper Forum”