beakhouse

Re: 2013-14 Winter Indoor Peppers (and eggplants)

And peppers will continue to grow/produce during the winter? That just opened up a whole new avenue. :) Can these same plants go back into the ground when the weather warms up sufficiently? If so, at what point do you start with new plants, if ever, to maintain production?

beakhouse

I think I just found the answer to my question - I started poking around (you know how it is on forum threads) and am finding huge amounts of overwintering info. My word! Ya'll know yer peppers! :D

applestar
Mod

Have fun! I'm slowing increasing the number of variety in my "collection" even if there are only one or two plants per variety -- but you really don't need a whole lot :eek: of hot pepper plants for home use. :cool:

I probably won't be posting much more in this thread this year -- some of my overwintered as dormant plants in the garage plants have been sent outside on the patio for the rest of spring. I didn't get the chance to bring them in back at the end of Dec-beginning of January timeframe and it got so very cold this winter, so I'm not even sure if they all survived.

The ones inside had become pretty tattered and ragged looking during the winter, and some of them lost all their foliage due to cold or aphid infestation. Some but not all have been pruned down to sticks. I think one that was pushed back in a corner died from neglect, but others are starting to leaf out and grow flower buds and some are setting fruit already.

I'm starting to give them dilute fertilizer, but I don't want to encourage huge flush of growth because I just don't have room for them under the limited number of best light set ups which are needed for the spring seedlings. The inside ones won't be permanently going out for another 6 weeks or so. I'll repot them or plant them in the ground and cut them back again at that point so they can grow good sturdy growth under the sun. They should start blooming immediately.

This eggplant is blooming again -- so far basically bloomed and dropped blossoms all through the winter. I buzzed this one too and it pollen puffed, but I may pinch it and repot it instead of letting it try to grow fruit. The way it grew in this arched way has caused all the buds to grow along the stem. It should be interesting to see how it ends up looking once it gets warm enough to go outside and really take off.
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

Heh. I was wondering why the pepper photos I posted weren't here. It looks like I posted some interim pepper photos since February in this thread:
:arrow: Subject: Embrace Your INNER APE –dealing with APHIDS >> got ladybugs

Return to “Pepper Forum”