MustGrowMore

Bell Pepper Falling Off

Hello!

My bell pepper plant has been doing great, had many blossoms, as well as tiny peppers and 4 or so larger ones.

As of late, I have found some of the tiny bell peppers as well as all but one of the larger ones have fallen off and are laying in the dirt...

It has been extremely hot, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Any suggestions wold be greatly appreciated! Hoping to turn it around :)

imafan26
Mod

Bell pepppers are happy only in a narrow range. It has to be warm enough to start growing (65-70 degrees) nicely, but do not much like temperatures in the high 80 's or 90's. So, yes, the heat could definitely be affecting them.

Look at the peppers closely, especially if you live in the southern part of the country the pepper weevils appear this time of the year. They can also cause blossom drop, or young fruit to fall. Sometimes fruit will ripen prematurely, there will be a small puncture near the cap and inside the pepper will be black from the larvae feeding.

https://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/veg ... weevil.htm

MustGrowMore

Thank you fro the suggestions imafan26! I will have to take a closer look when the fruit falls off. I didn't notice it was black when I took a bit of one of the larger ones. But wasn't looking for it either.

Thanks again!

imafan26
Mod

If you have pepper weevils it will be obvious there will be a lot of black in the seed cavity. I don't get pepper weevils every year, but I try to avoid planting peppers in locations where I have had problems. I usually don't see the weevil or the lavae. All I see is the fallen fruit or if it does hang on I find the exit hole where the larvae left and the black inside the seed cavity.

I have fruit falling from the Jalapeno now, but I don't see weevils so I am thinking it is more to do with the heat. The good thing about hot peppers are that they can handle more heat than sweet peppers. Most of the thai, and Tabasco chilies re producing a lot of peppers. They are in a shade house though and the Jalapeno is in the ground outside.

MustGrowMore

Thanks again imafan26!

I am leaning towards the heat, but will take a closer look at the fruit if it continues to fall. Supposed to be another hot week. 8am outside and its already 80 degrees...

Return to “Pepper Forum”