memory94

What is Causing Light Brown Cracks on My Peppers?

I couldn't find these cracks online so ill just post it here!

my peppers are forming these light brown cracks around them. No birds gets near them. But I have an ant and caterpillar problem. aphids are taking care of. but these ants come around and through my barrier.
20130823_145701.jpg
20130823_145701.jpg (17.34 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
growing in south California

imafan26
Mod

If it is a Jalapeno, they are prone to cracking and it is genetic, but peppers can also crack from inconsistent watering and especially if they are over ripe.

memory94

imafan26 wrote:If it is a Jalapeno, they are prone to cracking and it is genetic, but peppers can also crack from inconsistent watering and especially if they are over ripe.
Its called corking or cracking.

and stressing your pepper plant makes your pepper more chillier.
how do you know when your pepper plant is fully grown so I can wilt then feed?

imafan26
Mod

My plant have peppers in different stages all of the time and they are in pots so they need to be watered daily. Stressing peppers to the point of wilting will make your peppers ripen faster, but will likely invite white flies and other pests to attack the weakened plant. The cracking may actually get worse from the uneven watering. You should try to water your peppers before they get to the wilt stage. How often depends on the type of soil and whether they are in the ground or in pots.

Heat also depends on variety. The jalapenos in recent years have been very disappointing because the heat has been so inconsistent on the same plant one in five peppers will be hot. Serrano peppers are similar to jalapenos and are more consistent in heat. If you want a hot pepper, make sure you get quality seeds from a stable variety.

Return to “Pepper Forum”