Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Picked green bell peppers are turning orange after picked

*topic*

I picked some nice size green bell peppers b/c the bug situation in my area is nuts.......again. I'm not taking any more risks, I hate this time of year. With that said:

I did pick 4 large green bell peppers and placed them on my counter. Within 4 days they have turned orange and red. I thought once you picked a bell pepper from the plant the pepper itself does not ripen anymore?

:?:

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I thought the same too and this happened to me as well. I made a topic on it last year asking if they would ripen off the plant. I forget why I wanted to know, I think it might of had to do with bugs or the sun burning them or something.

cwayland

I have also had bells and jalapeños continue to ripen off the plant. There was nothing wrong with them. Mine, however, did have to sit around longer than a few days.

bg
Cool Member

Just like tomatoes, they still ripen ;d I've seen even the smallest of my cherry tomatoes that fell off the plant while still very light green turn red on the ground before disappearing.

Recently had a cayenne I picked to save from birds dry orange instead of red because it dried before fully turning red! It had a streak of red and the rest looked like the colour washed out! My strawberries ripen the same as everything else.

I've always just thought that normal ;3 Though, some of my peppers and strawberries don't last more than a few days if that after being picked. My tomatoes continue to ripen really red and nice, and taste just fine even though I pick some early to keep birds from getting them (ones outside my garden cage).

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Just like tomatoes, they still ripen
Wish I knew this in the past. I was told they stopped ripening once off the plant. I'm picking the rest of the large green bells. btw, I found on nice size green bell pepper half eaten this morning.

What animals would eat bell peppers?

mattie g
Green Thumb

Francis Barnswallow wrote:
Just like tomatoes, they still ripen
Wish I knew this in the past. I was told they stopped ripening once off the plant. I'm picking the rest of the large green bells. btw, I found on nice size green bell pepper half eaten this morning.

What animals would eat bell peppers?
Back in my old townhouse I had a few bells in pots. Squirrels got at them.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

This climate is just about the opposite of yours, FB.

Having peppers actually turn from green to any other color, doesn't always happen with too cool springs and summer nights and too short a growing season. Still, I can pick Italian sweets with a slight blush on them just before the first fall frost and have them ripen in the kitchen. I like to hang them from a string (a ristra) instead of laying on the counter. In a few days, they are fully ripe.

They can be cooked down into a nice paste to which a little Super Chili or Thai peppers can be added. Those are 2 varieties that will actually ripen in my garden :). The paste can be frozen and added to all sorts of things thru the winter.

It's kind of like a little warm Florida sun during the cold, snowy months of the year.
[img]https://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h22/Digit_007/Just%204%20Fun/1sm209yum1.gif[/img]

Steve

Return to “Pepper Forum”