Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Can frozen bell pepper seeds still be planted....

......or will they die once frozen? I picked the last of my peppers yesterday and left them on the counter so I could use them in a pepper steak dish for tonight. But my wife put them in the freezer instead and now they're frozen solid.

I know I can still use the peppers, but can I use their seeds after they thaw out? Or are the seeds destroyed?

Also, what's a good soil mix for bell peppers? I got it right 2 years ago, but forgot the soil "formula" if you will. This year I did okay but they weren't as productive. I'm gonna plant the next batch from seed this week.

Thanks in advance.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I usually store seeds in the freezer, but that's after they've been separated from the pepper, dried, and stored in paper envelopes. Still, I'm guessing it is not a problem.

Did you mean soil mix for in containers or in the ground? In containers, I just use basic potting soil for everything.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

yeah, if they were frozen wet, I'd have doubt about their viability. freezing's usually okay for seeds when they're dry, but the expansion of water into ice can pretty easily damage a seed.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Did you mean soil mix for in containers or in the ground? In containers, I just use basic potting soil for everything.

Not sure yet. I've always had good results when they are in pots. But I also have a 8' X 4' garden to fill. I'm putting tomatoes on hold this year, too much work with little result. I'm still having issues with caterpillars as well....and it's mid December.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I'm putting tomatoes on hold this year, too much work with little result.
I think most people fuss too much with tomatoes. I just plant them and watch. Maybe they will get weeded one time, but when they start to sprawl I just talk to them now and then as I look for signs of hornworms. No cages, no trellises. I figure if that is the way the commercial farmers do it, it will work for me. If you have limited space plant a determinate variety.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Hey, that's amazing. I never thought of it but you're right, I've never seen commercially growing tomatoes staked !

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Sorry to get off topic.

I have never had any peppers volunteer in my garden. From that I have to say they probably do not do well if frozen. Just my guess, having never tried it. I guess you get to try it and report?

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

I guess you get to try it and report?

Will do. btw, interesting point about the tomatoes.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

What about peppers that were refrigerated? Would their seeds still be good enough to plant?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I would do a germination test.
https://barbarammartin.suite101.com/how-to-test-seed-viability-a10906

Eric

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Francis, I thought you were a lady ! :oops:

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

DeborahL wrote:Francis, I thought you were a lady ! :oops:

LOL, that made my day. :lol:

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

I say you grab all the pepper seeds and throw all of them in one pot, Let them grow in the background of your daily basis and if they germinate they will if not, then not such a problem

Return to “Pepper Forum”