cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

What Color is a Ripe Banana Pepper when Ripe?

So this is my second year growing sweet banana peppers (which I love!) I always go out and pick the ones that look ripe only to bring them in and realize one or two are still green... out side they look ok...
What is the full mature color of a sweet banana pepper? Do they just get yellow, or will they turn any other variety of colors as most peppers do? If so what is the ideal time to pick them? I always get them just as they turn yellow or in my case are still just a tad green... :oops:
Thanks!!

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

When my father grew them he let them get a dark yellow with almost and orange yellow cast to be sure. He always said, to others who asked if it looks ripe wait three to five more days and then pick it, just to be sure. Hope, that helps.

greenstubbs

I have never had bad luck with banana peppers leaving them on the plant, they just never seems to get over ripe no matter how long I leave them. From what I've read, a change in the sugar content of the fruit is what makes them change color. I have 1 that's turning a nice shade of red, while all the others are still light green. I say leave them on the vine till you need them and don't worry about them getting to old. The same holds true for my bells as well. Good Luck

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

That helps!!! Thank you!!! I have one out there that is about 5" long! :shock:
Sucker is HUGE!!! Its yellow...ish... So I think I will leave it, I would like to try one thats good and ripe for once!

Thank you all!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Banana peppers turn yellow, but if you leave them on the plant long enough, they will turn orange.

However, the downside to leaving them to mature too long is that you will get a lower yield per plant as a opposed to picking them sooner.

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

oh.... didnt think about that... I will pick them when they are nice and yellow... as I would like to keep them going. They seem to be pretty happy! As are the Jalapenos growing in the same container. I love my peppers!! :D

greenstubbs

Yea Tiger, I'm over in Vacaville and this year I can say that I'm happy happy with my bananas and the amount of fruit I'm getting and the size of them. Never really measured but they are the biggest they have ever been.

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Weird weather makes for good peppers I guess!! I want to pick them all but with how nice they are turning out I would hate to pick them green, so I just have to be patient and let them ripen...

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Ok, I gave in and picked my peppers, I had to as they were getting so big the plants were starting to lean with the weight!!

[img]https://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k82/cherishedtiger/Peppers.jpg[/img]

I wish I would have put something to show size... let me measure the largest...
Ok just measured! The longest one is over 7"!!! They look a little yellower in this pic than they actually are, but still they taste GREAT and the smell is beyond wonderful!!!

greenstubbs

You just couldn't wait, let me guess. The devil made you do it? Nice pepps, mine are about the same size. Enjoy!

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Yup, devil made me do it! Ok and the fact that the plants were leaning from them! They are super yummy and already have just about that many more on the plants. Along with a couple big ones I left :)

Return to “Pepper Forum”