PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Bell pepper plants not growing and flowers have fallen off

Hi,

So I had 2 bell pepper plants. They were getting a bunch of flower buds and some bell peppers were beginning to grow. I have them sorta near some tomato plants. The tomatoes started spreading a lot and some of the branches/stems started to grow over the bell peppers.

I sorta neglected it and didn't think it was a problem. I also did not want to cut off these tomato branches because they had tons of flowers on them and even some unripe tomatoes.

Finally I felt I needed to cut the tomato branches cause the bell peppers were not getting much light, and I was looking at the peppers on the plants and they seem to not be growing anymore. Staying same size and green. And I was noticing fallen flowers and flowers with a pepper forming on the floor too.

Now that the tomato branches have been trimmed away, the bell peppers plants have sun. But I noticed they are really loose and can't stand up on their own and all the flowers are gone. Each plant has 2-3 bell peppers hanging that are not ripe. I put some sticks up to give the pepper plants some balance and they have been getting sun. I also trimmed away some bad leaves. But so far I see no activity out of these plants. No new growth, no flower buds, peppers not growing/ripening. Is the plant dead? Or is it stunted or something? Will it grow more flowers back?? Thanks

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

It would seem that something is wrong, but its a tough call from here. I wonder how hot it has been? Are they getting enough water?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Pics might help. Can't tell from your description whether the plants might have died. Are they looking totally wilted? brown and crisped? If not, they probably aren't dead, but sounds like they got severely shaded out. If they were very shaded by the tomato plants and then you suddenly removed all that so they are in full sun, that can be a bit shocking to their systems too.

I'd give them the best care you can re plenty of water (but not waterlogging) and sunshine and be patient and see what happens.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

The plants are still green and not dried or anything. I have not been watering them much, just a little cause I think they got too much water. I was still watering them when they were covered by the tomatoes, and since they were not getting sun they were not drying out properly. So I think the watering made them sick too. So I will not water unless I see signs the plants need it.

Ralphie
Newly Registered

Too much nitrogen fertilizer will cause blossom drop. Also add calcium, I use crushed oyster shell from a feed store. I grow King Aurthur peppers and they are enormous.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

I heard using crushed egg shells work well when it comes to plants needing calcium. I haven't tried it yet though.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I have had a terrible time with bell peppers the last 5 years. I think part of the problem the plants that I buy at the garden center are 4 months old already and 5" tall. I plant them and they make tiny little marble size bell peppers and the plants are only 6" tall. I think the hydride plants and seeds are a problem.

I had a problem with squash 2 years in a row would not grow squash. They made lots of blossoms that fell off but no squash. I got some different seeds and planted my own now I have lots of squash.

Get some plants and seeds that are NOT hydride.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well maybe, but I always grow the hybrid seeds, California Wonder, Chinese Giant, Early Thickset, etc. I don't have any trouble. I always start them from seed indoors, early (like late Jan), so by the time I plant them out in April, they are big, well established plants. They do fine, even though I don't have perfect conditions for them (not enough hours of sun, etc).

Return to “Pepper Forum”