2borders
Newly Registered

Wilted Bell Pepper plant, what's going on?

Hello, I am new to this forum. So far I have found it VERY helpful with my questions. :D
I have a single better bell plant (out of a total of 8 plants) that looks great in the morning, but by noon it is completely wilted. And stays wilted until the next morning. :?
We have had a lot of rain over the last 3-4 days so we have not watered them with the exception of feeding them with Miracle Gro yesterday.
The plant does have blossoms on it and even one pepper starting. I am curious of why it is looking soooo bad??
Anyone have any ideas?? Have I done something to create this? :roll:

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Give it a few more days. Plants can stress just as much from too much rain as they do from not enough. Perhaps the ground in that area is so wet that the roots are being affected. Too wet a condition can cause root rot.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Generally, when a pepper wilts suring the day, either it's a variety lacking sun resistance, or it wants water. I think I would try trickling watering it all by itself to see whether the soil might be dry down below, despite your rain 8)

2borders
Newly Registered

Ok, Thank you for your input. It is greatly appreciated! :)

pickupguy07

another thing to consider is what you planted it in. Did you fertilize it (maybe) too much; or maybe plant it with stable manure.
My Dad is having a problem with his peppers this year, and he determined that he planted them with too much horse manure near the plants and the manure is heating up during the day, and stressing the plant. He's had five die.
He finally planted a couple is just plain dirt and they are doing very well.

As far as 'trickle' wattering here is another option. Get a 5 or 6 gallon bucket, and drill a small hole (lets say 3/16) in the side close to the bottom. Them fill it, and set it so the hole is directed towards the plant. This will water the plant slowly, and give it a chance to soak in well....

2borders
Newly Registered

Interesting that you mentioned the horse manure. This is the first year we added it before planting. We did till the garden really well, but I suspect that may have something to do with it.
I also noticed the very bottom of the base of the stem was black the other day, and today it has migrated farther up the stem. I pulled the plant I didn't want to risk infecting the other plants.

Thank you everyone for your input!!! :D

pickupguy07

I want to ask this question...
Sounds like myself and the original poster might have the same problem...

So can someone tell me (us) how to fix this in mid-growing.
Would lime do any good, or is that the wrong direction to go.
Obviously I can't dig them up and move them, and I am guessing the manure is creating a bit too much heat..
any way to 'cool it off' by adding something to the soil.

I have a ton of peppers on my plants, but I am afraid they will die as time passes, or it will keep them from fulling producing.
THANKS for any advice

Return to “Pepper Forum”