stella1751
Greener Thumb

1st Annual THG Biggest Pepper Competition

Soil suggested we have a big pepper thread, and I think it's an excellent idea. I kind of modified the idea, though, turning it into a contest. Anyone who is interested in getting a piece of the action, please tell us about your plants and post progress photos here.

This year, I am growing Hybrid Big Chile II's, a Gurney's offering that was discontinued from 7 to 12 years ago. I stumbled on an old unopened packet of these seeds last year when digging for something to replace some NuMex Big Jim seedlings my dog ate. I fell in love with one particular Hybrid Big Chile II plant, calling it "Frankenchile" because it was extremely odd from germination to harvest. (See photo below.)

[img]https://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy292/mitbah/Frankenchile.jpg[/img]

This year I am growing second-generation Frankenchilies. Three of my plants are from seeds from the left pepper (11.5") in the photo, and two are from the right pepper (11.75"). Two other 2011 plants are from a third Frankenchile pepper, a 10-incher at the back of the plant, and one 2011 plant (amazingly) is from a completely different 2010 HBC II that was in a bed far removed from all of the other peppers.

I am pretty confident that this last one bred true. It was separated from all the other peppers by about 15' and a thick wall of several rows of rabidly blossoming snow peas. I won't know about the other seven plants until they produce. They are just now starting to develop blossoms. When you make peppers that big, you need some serious height before you begin production :lol:

I still have some of the original Frankenchile seeds left. They're anywhere from 7 to 12 years old now. If these second-generation HBC II's don't make the cut, I'll try those again next year.

BTW, the world record, set by a NuMex Big Jim, is 13.5". (Those are, I believe, descendents of native New Mexican peppers that are no longer around.) That's our goal. I'm throwing my Frankenchile's hat into the ring in this competition. Soil has some extemely interesting second-generation roadstand Anaheim types. (Soil, you will need to give these a name. "Second-generation Roadstand Anaheim Type" is a lot to say all at once.)

So, here's the deal: Post your progress photos here. (It will be a while for me.) At the end, we post photos of the harvested peppers lying next to a measuring device. The winner has to give the losers seeds from the winning pepper :twisted:

Even if you don't want to compete, post your big pepper photos and progress updates here. We are fans and always on the outlook for fresh ideas.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I'll play...with no hope of winning. Peppers are never really happy here, but I have Big Jim, Great Aconcagua, and Sonora in the ground. Can we go by weight? I know how to cheat if we do that.

csvd87

I'm in! I have 3 Super Heavyweight Hybrid plants, which won't be the longest of peppers, but should provide some good size bells, I also have 1 Heritage Big Jim, which may give me something quite long. But we'll see, I have them all growing in 5 Gallon nursery pots. I still actually haven't been able to get them all in their final homes, and they look bad due to aphid infestations, and probably other issues.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

TZ -OH6 wrote:I'll play...with no hope of winning. Peppers are never really happy here, but I have Big Jim, Great Aconcagua, and Sonora in the ground. Can we go by weight? I know how to cheat if we do that.
You completely got my attention with this, TZ. Cheating is, of course, perfectly acceptable among friends, but stuffed peppers will be disqualified unless you share the recipe :lol:

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Birdshot and super glue. :lol:

garden5
Super Green Thumb

TZ -OH6 wrote:Birdshot and super glue. :lol:
:lol: Paint them to look like pepper seeds, TZ.

My peppers usually don't get too long, but I'll compete as well.

I started my peppers too late indoors, so they're really small now.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

I have no hope at all :( I'm just growing bell peppers, not chillis. Maybe next year!

Unless banana peppers are known to get huge

soil
Greener Thumb

I don't think they are Anaheim peppers, they were just labeled as "something negro" I cant remember the first word, the dried chilis were pretty much black and HUGE.

ill be posting late in the year, the seeds took almost 2 months to germinate, and out of 30 I only got 3 seedlings. right now they are only 3 inches tall. luckily I have a greenhouse and can extend the pepper competition for me. so for now I'm concentrating on getting the plants extremely healthy.

I think it would be cool if the bell pepper people had the biggest bell contest. ive grown some big ones before, but only grow hot peppers now.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

TZ -OH6 wrote:Birdshot and super glue. :lol:
LMFAO

stella1751
Greener Thumb

soil wrote:I don't think they are Anaheim peppers, they were just labeled as "something negro" I cant remember the first word, the dried chilis were pretty much black and HUGE.

ill be posting late in the year, the seeds took almost 2 months to germinate, and out of 30 I only got 3 seedlings. right now they are only 3 inches tall. luckily I have a greenhouse and can extend the pepper competition for me. so for now I'm concentrating on getting the plants extremely healthy.

I think it would be cool if the bell pepper people had the biggest bell contest. ive grown some big ones before, but only grow hot peppers now.
When I was studying hot peppers last year, anything that was long and medium width was called an Anaheim type, like my Frankenchilies. Anyhow, now you've really got my attention. Those sound fascinating. I've never seen that kind before. I will want you to win, just so I can have some seeds :D

Why don't we make this a hot pepper and sweet pepper thread? The sweet peppers could go by weight; the hot peppers by length. Is anyone interested? (Watch TZ, though. His thumb is certain to be on the scale.)

I have one blossom. I don't think anyone is growing peppers locally, so I don't expect anything yet. Maybe next week.

nosta

I'll throw my hat in on the Bell Peppers. My hots are cayenne, jalapeno, tabasco, thai hot and Habs. None of them will be real long.

soil
Greener Thumb

When I was studying hot peppers last year, anything that was long and medium width was called an Anaheim type, like my Frankenchilies. Anyhow, now you've really got my attention. Those sound fascinating. I've never seen that kind before. I will want you to win, just so I can have some seeds
ive never seen peppers this big before I just had to buy some for planting. the great thing is the dried chilis are delicious. winner or not the peppers the seeds came from were winners to me.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Update: They won't bloom. One of them will put on a flower, one at a time, but because no one else in the area is growing peppers this year, the flowers just wither and die. I will be very surprised to learn that the failure to bloom is caused by too much nitrogen, but I suppose it's possible. I had peas back there last year. However, I've done that many, many a time before peppers and always with good success.

Sigh. So far, my sons of Frankenchile are non-starters in this competition :evil:

applestar
Mod

I don't think peppers need pollinators, Stella. The flower should e able to pollinate itself. More likely it's stll too cool? But try giving the stems a tap or two when the sun is high and hot(test).

You can test and see when the pollen is being released by holding a black plastic spoon under the flower when you tap so you can determine the best time in the day.

Soft watercolor pair brush will work too if you have more than one flower.

You might consider surrounding the plant with cinderblocks or rocks to create a heatsink so it stays warm at night.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I'll play. but I won't win I'm sure. You all probably remember my quest for salsa last summer? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have Big Jim (as you all suggested I get bc if I just get 1 pepper like last year I can make a few things of salsa anyways LOL!) and some hot pepper mix.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:I don't think peppers need pollinators, Stella. The flower should e able to pollinate itself. More likely it's stll too cool? But try giving the stems a tap or two when the sun is high and hot(test).

You can test and see when the pollen is being released by holding a black plastic spoon under the flower when you tap so you can determine the best time in the day.

Soft watercolor pair brush will work too if you have more than one flower.

You might consider surrounding the plant with cinderblocks or rocks to create a heatsink so it stays warm at night.
Interesting, Applestar! I didn't know one flower could get the job done. Thanks. I am too crippled to crouch down and check whether a pepper's coming on, but you have made me quite hopeful. Thanks!

I hope you're right about the temps, too. We have been pretty nippy lately, down to 40 at night and highs in the mid-60's. All told, you have given me hope :clap:

Return to “Pepper Forum”