kvmav
Newly Registered

broken bell pepper plant

I came back from a weekend trip and moved my bell pepper plant. Snapped off the stem above the first leaves. it is an indoor plant Will it continue to grow or is it done?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

It will continue to grow. As long as the node where the seed leaves were is still intact, it will send out new shoots.

kvmav
Newly Registered

thanks. the primary leaves are still intact. the main stalk is broken. is there anything I can do to help the plant recover? or just let it run its course

linger0825
Newly Registered

I did the exact same thing!! I am hopeing it will grow back on its own. BUT I am very new to all of this!! it is my first year!!

coolqcumber

I would just let it run its course.

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

I have to chime in here, I did the same to one of my green bean bush seedling plants, but instead of snapping the stem, I somehow managed to snag the little buds of the seedling where the first set of true leaves were coming in :( but I let it go to see what it would do and it regrew a new set of buds and now all my bush bean plants, green and lima, are growing up their first sets of true leaves, I thought I had killed it but my fiance said to let it run its course and it regenerated and survived.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Some people cut the top of a pepper plant so it gets more branches and more peppers! It may turn out better!

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

that's true, I wish someone had told me to do that before years ago, my plants always got hugely tall and I never could understand why (my pepper plants one year got about 4.5' tall! they started falling over and I had to tie them up to keep them upright and the peppers on them were never very big, I think had I done that before they too big and mature I would have gotten bigger peppers (keep in mind the one's I did get were awesome as far as thick walled and sweetness taste and texture) I will be doing it again this year to make sure they don't get too tall and produce bigger better fruits/veggies (whichever people call them these days lol)

Return to “Pepper Forum”