Franco

Variation in pepper color

I was looking through my pepper plants and all of them seemed to be turning red, except for two single peppers (jalapeno) which were turning black. Is this just some cool mutation or is there something wrong? I'm actually in school right now in my AP Computer Science class and should be doing my work, but I'll take pictures when I get home.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Well, I would suggest that you put your time into your studies bud but, generally I have not heard of a black Jalapeno. Do the peppers look okay otherwise?

Oh and as far as phenotype (how an organism looks) and mutation; just because an organism has an alternate phenotype does not mean that a mututation is involved their are a myriad of not genetic factors that lead to changes in phenotype.

One could be a disease but, others could be epigenetic factors (epi = around) that influence protein building, soil type, weather, the list is endless. Of course, you may have some interesting seed with a new combination of recombinant DNA that could entail a new variety of pepper as well.

AngryItalian

well based off of my own experience on my jalapeno plant, I'm going to say its all ok: my plant has a single pepper growing on it and it took a long time for it to ripen; when it did start showing signs of ripenning, the pepper was very dark in color, almost black, and then slowly turned dark red. Just give it time!
and by the way, that pepper of mine was the spiciest jalapeno I've ever tasted: I thought I was gonna die!!! lol

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

You should try the scotch bonnets Angry, YIKES! Not to mention the ring of fire peppers.

Scotch bonnets are supposed to be a thousand times hotter than a Jalapeno.

Franco

hmm interesting replies from you both lol. It has been raining a LOT lately so that might have affected it. And yes, they do look absolutely fine otherwise. I'm going to give them time to ripen, although it's getting cold around here :(

AngryItalian

I'm growing habaneros too so those are surre to do the trick!

Franco

Ok here are the pics:

In this one you can kind of see it turning black on the top, the pepper in the backround is turninig red and is the same kind of pepper.

[img]https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/DaRealFranzy/blackandredpeppers.jpg[/img]

THis one is blurry but you get the idea, I picked it a few days ago because I thought it was cool

[img]https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/DaRealFranzy/BlackPepper.jpg[/img]

AngryItalian

ya, that kinda looks like how my jalapeno went through colours: it was green at first, then got darker and darker and then it started going red, dark red!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Good to know, thanks Angry! That's what is so great about this community, many many experts in many many fields. :)

AngryItalian

Thanx, although more than an expert I feel like I've become a chili pepper maniac! but glad I could help!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Ring of fire peppers are great. Though, don't try drying them in the microwave.... that's something I will never live down.

I mainly grow variations on bell peppers and also (I think the name is...) pabloma? Basically peppers without heat now.

Though, after looking at the Mcfayden's catalogue last spring, I'm really keen on growing some perennial pepper bushes inside. They are very pretty.

AngryItalian

well lets see here, all mine are in containers, excepr 2 or 3 plants but this year for chiles I'm growing Jalapeno, Habanero, Cayenne, Thai Dragon, Chile de Arbol and this other one called Cobanero Mayan Love which is the only one yet to produce anything.
For sweet peppers I've got three red lipstick pepper plants, a golden sun, some other one which I don't know what it's called cos it was mislabeled, miniature sweet peppers, white peppers and this other golden lipstick called "Oro de Toro"
of course the ones I grew from seed are the ones I'm the mostt proud of :D

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I lament, you are the Pepper maniac! Habanero, that is an alternative name for the Scotch Bell if I am not mistaken. I have a feeling that you will be the go to guy for peppers around here.

Good to have you Angry,

Opabinia51

AngryItalian

well the scotch bonnet is in the same family as the Habanero: they're all capsicum chinense.
out of curiousity, hows that ring of fire pepper? how hot is it? whats it look like?
cant seem to find much info on it anywhere...
thanx!!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Hot, hot, hot! That was the one that I was drying in the microwave and we couldn't even walk into the kitchen. I actually found it at the supermaket :oops: and didn't grow it myself.

Those skotch bonnets are supposed to be the hotest though.

AngryItalian

I don't suppose they have those ring of fire still around? I'd definitely like to try growing one of those! if you see them whould it be too much trouble to pick me up one? I do have some edibles' seeds I can trade if you're interested!
thanx!!

Franco

wait wait wait opa, what were you doing with peppers in the microwave? please explain!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I would do that for you Angry but, our borders (and associated customs) do not allow seeds to cross from country to country.

Franco, regarding the peppers in the microwave; I was drying them in order to preserve them to put in soups and what not. Got the idea from one of my professeurs. Didn't work that well, couldn't even enter the kitchen. And the plate that the peppers were sitting on ended up breaking from the heat.

Live and learn.

Apparently she dries her peppers this way but, she must dry them on pyrex or paper towel and must do it outside because I don't know how she could stand it otherwise.

Franco

does the temp. in the room just rise or does it burns your eyes if you walk in, because I want to dry my peppers quickly?

Return to “Pepper Forum”