garden5
Super Green Thumb

JM, [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31409&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0]Here's[/url] a thread where you can learn a lot of tips to help a plant make it through frost :wink:. Peppers can be pretty tough.

applestar
Mod

I was tending to my hot peppers today while my thoughts wandered.

- On going posts in [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=175258#175258]The Winter Pepper Torture[/url] thread

- "Results are pretty much even across the wet and dry seasons, but better in periods of low to no ashfall from the volcano." -- lorax in a recent growing avocados from seed question (... what is the condition like then? Similar to cloudy/overcast skies? Hot? Cold? High geomagnetic activity? -- put an earth magnet near the seed? :P ...)

- Victrinia's replies to my question in this thread:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32211

I'm actually looking for some more advice on how to prune hot peppers. That's why I'm posting here. My peppers are growing in some weird ways! :shock:
-- New shoots coming out of odd places, headed in odd vectors, MULTIPLE shoots growing out of same knob -- which one to leave and which ones to prune off? I took photos and will post them later.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

well gee whiz....now I feel like the pepper plants I grow here in Va are only babies and I never actually see peak performance out of the plants. I'm gonne have to over winter a few now. They should do well in my greenhouse too when it is done because it usually doesn't get below 20 here. A few dips into the teens but not many.

ThomasCA

About 2 years ago I planted tons of cayanne, calabrese cornaletto, anaheim, jalapeno, and serrano plants.

Living in SoCal (San Pedro) there isn't any frosting, so these plants have been growing, blooming, and producing ever since. Heck, I was even picking peppers in December as they were still coming on! I have noticed a larger fruit production with every passing year.

The same goes for my eggplant. I planted eggplant in spring of 2010 and am still getting flowers and fruit. In fact, I actually got a little too close to a couple of them with my weed wacker back in November and accidentally chopped a few down to the ground. Wouldn't you know it, those remaining stumps grew out new foliage and looks to be ready for blooming in the next month!

applestar
Mod

ThomasCA now you have me thinking oveerwintered eggplants. (a NEW PROJECT! For next winter 8) )
I wonder if I could do that without bringing flea beetles inside.... :?

GardenRN, I have to warn you that, as some members have mentioned here or elsewhere, aphids are a big problem with overwintered peppers.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

knock on wood, they haven't found me yet. I'm walking with my head ducked down hoping they stay at bay.

Return to “Pepper Forum”