Richee

Ghost Pepper Not Growing - Yellowish Leaves

I started growing my peppers just over 4 months ago.

Only recently, have they been growing peppers, mainly due to the extreme heat here in Florida. They are all a foot tall or taller and look great.

But the only Ghost Pepper that I grew, is not much taller than an inch, and isn't looking so good. I do not know what to do for it at this point, other than tossing it out and starting another one from seed. Maybe it grew from a bad seed?

The leaves are yellowish, and almost white in some areas. Kind of hard to tell from these pictures as it is dark outside as we just had an hour or so of rain fall. The leaves also have a dusty look to them as well. I don't think it's bacterial spot disease or anything, it's just very unhealthy and can't put up a fight against the elements. I do not know why it is so weak.

I've never grew these types of peppers before, and didn't think they would need any special care aside from the normal pepper growing care.

Please give me any suggestions.

[img]https://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b89/dailynightly/bhut01.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b89/dailynightly/bhut02.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b89/dailynightly/bhut03.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b89/dailynightly/bhut04.jpg[/img]

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I've found my ghost peppers to be the slowest growing of all my peppers.....and the latest to fruit as well. Actually, they haven't even fruited yet (they were put in the ground end of May), but they are developing buds.

What kind of soil mix is in the container; is it well draining? It looks like the plant may be getting too much water. Also, how big is the container? You may need to up-pot the pepper?

Oh, one more question, are you fertilizing it at all, and if so, how?

The more we know, the better we can help :wink:.

Richee

Hey,

Yeah, somebody mentioned to me the potting soil issue.

I've been using a type of potting soil from Lambert that I get at the Home Depot. But they were out one day, so I checked over at Lowe's and they did not have any either.. so I settled for some Jungle brand.

The Ghost Pepper is one of the few plants in the Jungle mix. The other plants with the Jungle mix are small as well, but don't look as unhealthy as this one.

I recently purchased some more Lambert soil, and have re-potted him in that mix. Hopefully, that is the issue.

I've only used a little bit of Epsom salt on some of my plants, and Compost Tea. I don't think I used too much on this plant because it is still fairly small. I'm always afraid if you fertilize it too soon it might do more damage than good.

But in the last few days, I've tried some Compost Tea for him.. but was afraid it might be too late. I'll let you know how re-potting him works.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Did you up-pot it to a bigger pot?

Also, do a forum search for "epsom salts," there a mixed opinion on using them. They are said to harm soil microorganisms, the very things you are putting in with you ACT!

Good luck and keep us posted.

Richee

I used an Epsom salt spray that I made, very diluted.

I didn't use much fertilizer on this plant because it was still small.

I did not up to a larger planter. The roots were not close to being root bound. I just washed away most of the dirt from the roots and planted them in the better soil.

He looks more happy today... of course, after 2 hours of sunshine, we had another downpour of rain and he got wet again. I brought him in, but he'll dry off quick with the new dirt.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Richee wrote:I used an Epsom salt spray that I made, very diluted.

I didn't use much fertilizer on this plant because it was still small.

I did not up to a larger planter. The roots were not close to being root bound. I just washed away most of the dirt from the roots and planted them in the better soil.

He looks more happy today... of course, after 2 hours of sunshine, we had another downpour of rain and he got wet again. I brought him in, but he'll dry off quick with the new dirt.
Peppers seem to like to dry off between watering, so try to keep the plant from getting water-logged.

Since it wasn't root-bound, I think your trouble was drainage. Good luck and hope you get some peppers!

ghostpepperstore
Newly Registered

In my experience with the ghost pepper I would really recommend moving your plants to a bigger pot. I do not know why this is, but it seems that early on they need ALOT of space for rooting. I have seen plants 6 inches tall in 8 inch diameter pots stall. This plant likes to root VERY deep and they will not take off until they are happy with the depth. Also, I do not know what kind of humidity you have there in Florida, but this plant really needs to have 60-80% humidity to thrive.

Let me know if you have any more questions, I will be happy to help.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

G5 the plant is in a pot so the trouble with any thing like fertilizer toxicity to the soil is not that big of an issue. remember that potted plants will go through some fert just because they are watered so much.

The main reason people don't like to use Epsom in soil is because of the possible buildup and the detrimental effect on the microbiology of the soil. But in pots it's not that big of an issue. :D

Richee

Since I last posted back in Aug, my Ghost Pepper is still not looking so great.. although it's got some new growth on the stem.

[img]https://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b89/dailynightly/GP001.jpg[/img]

But I do wonder, what is causing the burnt areas on the edge of the leaves?

I started growing some more just incase the first one was a bad seed, but they're doing the same thing.

[img]https://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b89/dailynightly/GP002.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b89/dailynightly/GP003.jpg[/img]

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

I have to side with ghostpepper. Those pots, even though your plants weren't root bound, don't look big enough. And they're not even filled ll the way to the top so the plant doesn't even have the most room it could in that particular pot.

I think you should repot into the biggest (deepest) pot you have, and hit it with some blood meal.

Keep us updated!

Richee

I can try that!

I just wanted to be sure it was going to make it before I used the large pots.

Richee

Do you think this is big enough for now?

[img]https://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b89/dailynightly/GP004.jpg[/img]

csvd87

Should be happy now, I'm having issues with some of mine, I have very shrimpy peppers after 1 month of growth... trying to figure it out, treating all my peppers the same and a few are doing great, most others are struggling. Maybe it is pot size too. :?

Richee

I've never grew these types before... and apparently, they're not as easy as others.

We'll see what happens I guess. I do notice lots of growth on it now.. that is a good sign!

ThePepperSeed
Cool Member

I think garden5 nailed it, looks like a problem with over watering. In pots it should be bone dry 3 or 4 inches down (or more depending on the depth of your pot) before you water and make sure it's not getting water logged or "soupy" in the bottom of the pot. In larger pots in the summer it's 1 - 2 weeks, sometimes even longer, between waterings for me. Of course temp, rain, etc come into play but making the point these plants like to get dry.

I've also found that generally speaking "less" is better in terms of any fertilizers for ghost peppers in pots. Real easy to overdo it.

Good luck and keep us posted!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Good to hear that the plant is putting on more growth. Some plants can be fussy in pots.

Be sure to let us know how it progresses.

xelas
Newly Registered

garden5 wrote:Good to hear that the plant is putting on more growth. Some plants can be fussy in pots.

Be sure to let us know how it progresses.
bottom watering container and bone meal fertilized will do it !

[img]https://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee228/sladkav/GhostPepper.jpg[/img]

Richee

About a year and a half after my original post, my Ghost Pepper is actually starting to take off, during the winter months, no less. lol

I'm not sure why this plant has had a difficult time growing. Infact, after I moved it to the big planter, it sat with no leaves for several months.

Here it is today.
[img]https://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b89/dailynightly/GP2012.jpg[/img]

My new worry is that the trunk will fail to support the plant.

I really need to take pictures of it to better show my issue, but will try to explain for now.

After sitting with no leaves for almost a year, it started to develop a new branch at the very top, on one side. It continue to branch up from that one new stem. So basically, all of the new growth you see is coming from a branch out on the top side of the trunk.

The problem is, the truck has not grown to accommodate this new growth, and I am a little worried it's going to fall over one day.

But other than that, I am not complaining, because it looks like I will have some peppers this spring!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Wow, that's great to hear that you haven't given up on the plant and that it is now doing well!

As for worrying about whether or not it will fall over, you can easily rig up some type of a stake for a support system.

bg
Cool Member

I've had to put strings up in my garden to hold up my habaneros, when it rains or I water they hold the water and fall over. I don't think all the weight from the peppers helps either lol. The stem isn't that skimpy but not as big as my ghost peppers, but the plant itself is getting fairly tall.

Richee

Well he's my only pepper plant this year.

All my other ones got planted in the ground, and the first freeze that came through wiped them out. I'm sure some might come back in the spring, but who knows.

This year I've got citrus trees growing from seed, limes, lemons, oranges, ect.

ThePepperSeed
Cool Member

Wow way to stick with it :D You could probably put some more dirt in the pot and bury more of the stem to help support it too.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

You can also plant it out when spring time comes and it will be able to grow larger than it would while it's in the pot. Just be sure to pull it out and pot it up before the frost comes (there's a great thread going on over-wintering peppers in the forum).

I'm thinking that since the plant is so large and healthy, you will get a very nice harvest if you plant it out in the spring.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Richee wrote:Well he's my only pepper plant this year.

All my other ones got planted in the ground, and the first freeze that came through wiped them out. I'm sure some might come back in the spring, but who knows.
Nope. They are tender perennials. Frost KILLS them; they won't come back in the spring. Sorry. :(

Richee

Now that the heat of Florida has been around, my Ghost Pepper went back to having no leaves after producing one pepper. Waiting 4 years for one pepper isn't exactly worth it.

Getting frustrated I put it way out in the yard, where it's been sitting neglected, even through the tropical storm. I check it today and it is full of leaves, only the leaves are not very large. They are small, but in high quantity, and very healthy look. Dark green leaves and all.. but I do wonder, why are the leaves so small?

And why does this plant seem to have so much trouble? Florida would seem like the ideal area to grow ghost peppers, but this one only seems to do good during the winter, and fails during the summer, rarely producing any fruit.

BP

I have one ghost pepper in my raised bed garden this year. First time ever growing one. It is growing great and faster than my habaneros, but it drops it's flowers. I thought this was due to cooler temps at night here in Michigan, but now the nights aren't getting that cool.
I plan on digging it out of the garden at the end of summer and potting it so I can bring it inside. Next spring it goes back in the garden. Will I have to wait until the end of next summer to get peppers? I'm fertilizing with bone meal btw.

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

I ordered 2 starts from ebay this year. I planted them in April, and kept them out of the frost. they were stunted for almost 1.5 months. they are in the garden, and coming to life. they are about 1.5' tall and getting bushy. my problem is that they are flowering, and loosing the flower without gaining a pepper. is this expected?

I planted jalapenos and Scotch bonnets in pots almost 3 years ago. I used the best potting soil I could find. They grew slow I brought them in during the winter, and the 2nd year I had 1 harvest from each of them. this year I planted them in the garden, they have flourished, the scotch bonnets are 2' tall and 3' around!!! I am going to try to dig what ever I like the most up and try to keep them inside for this winter.

It seemed my peppers liked less water, and definately a dry out between waterings

BP

Indy, my ghost pepper plant is doing the same. Growing, looking great, but all flowers drop.........

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

let me know if it changes....

Return to “Pepper Forum”