wolfie

How to tell difference between peppers and tomatoes?

I got some seedlings of peppers and tomatoes mixed up and don't know which is which! Is there a way to tell by leaf or stem characteristics to tell the difference?

thanks!

applestar
Mod

I just went to check 8) We're talking about seed leaves right?

Toms have downy fuzz on stems that tend to be magenta~brick reddish in color with same color extending to underside of the leaves, and fuzzy~matte leaf surfaces that make them look somewhat lichen green, with ends that are slightly rounded.

Peps have have barely noticeable fuzz on their stems that are generally green, or if colored, somwhat purple-black. Leaf surfaces are semi-glossy with ends that are more pointed.

Once true leaves grow out, the differences are obvious because toms have compound lobed leaves and peppers have shield-shaped leaves.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

This may sound crazy. But tomatoes have a unique smell to them. Since I love tomatoes I know that smell anywhere, so that is one way I suppose. It depends on how old they are for this though. I noticed that smell but I bleive it was after they had their true leaves. :lol:

You may want to go with what Apple said though :D

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Pepper leaf:
[img]https://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/senior/vegetabl/images/large/pepperleaf6.jpg[/img]

Seedling:
[img]https://somethingtohide.info/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/dsc06548.jpg[/img]

Tomato leaf:
[img]https://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/senior/vegetabl/images/large/tomatoleaf7.jpg[/img]

Seedling:
[img]https://alt.coxnewsweb.com/shared-blogs/austin/gardening/upload/2009/02/tomato%20seedlings.jpg[/img]

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I concur. But the seeds, and seedlings look the same.

I have cups with tomatoes in them in a tray, and there are cups with peppers in the same tray... They all looked the same, oh I could read the cups, but now that they are beginning true leaves, at a glance, I know which are which as far as peppers, tomatoes, cole crops or herbs...

The smell does give them away also.. to me peppers have no smell at all.

and for me, tomatoes make me itch, and peppers don't... ha ha

wolfie

thanks for all the help! I think between the shapes from apple, the smell from dono and the pictures from the other guy, I should be able to figure it out.. thanks all!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Te "other guy" is kisal. Good people there.

Good luck You will figure it out.

I'm kinda in the same dilema somewhat. I have 2 different peppers that I started in peat pellets. They were in a tray which I had a "map" for. I have scince moved them to something smaller. I am 90% sure which ones are which. It'll all come out n the wash. :lol:

garden5
Super Green Thumb

In addition to what the others have said, you will notice that the stems (cotylhephae) of the tomatoes will tend to fuzzier than those of the peppers. Although there are sometimes exceptions to this rule.

wolfie

thanks go everyones help, I was able to differentiate between my toms and peps... now, who can help me figure out what KIND of tom and what KIND of pepper LOL

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

wolfie wrote:thanks go everyones help, I was able to differentiate between my toms and peps... now, who can help me figure out what KIND of tom and what KIND of pepper LOL
good luck on that one :wink: :D

Return to “Pepper Forum”