Tammy42

Help, one of my green peppers has a black spot on it?

Help I need all you gardeners help, I am new to veggie gardening. Today I went out ro check my green pepper plants, one of thee green pepper plants has two green peppers on it, the big one is fine and is growing good but the other has got a black spot on it? What is this and what do I need to do? From what I have looked up is it is something like blossom end rot? This is caused by fluctuations in water and not enough calcium for the plant? Some of the solutions they suggest is crused eggshells in the soil and a epsom salt solution? This plant is in a container, can I put the crushed eggshells on top of the soil? What is the epsom salt solution to use? Should I take this pepper off so it does not effect the bigger plant? Should I cut the watering down for that plant to once or twice a week? I have been doing it more often the last two weeks, because it has been in upper 70's and low 80's here. Help would be greatly appreciated!!!! :o Tammy

splat42069

Epson salts is for a Magnesium deficiency. I think its 1tsp per gallon of water.

That black spot could also maybe be some kinda pests?

I cant answer all your questions I'm sorry man. Hopefully someone else can :)

Tammy42

Thanks for the post!! I did the epsom salt thing and spread the crushed eggshells around the soil for calcium deficiency and see what transpires(wish me lucK).Hopefully the temps. won't get them(alot cooler today and cloudy)Also took that one off, did'nt want it to spread to the bigger plant or any of the other blossoms. Tammy

splat42069

Good luck Tammy, Let us know how it goes. If things are good you should see a difference in 2-3 days.

Tammy42

Thanks Splat. hoefully it will work, don't know though today it decided to rain hopefully rain won't take it off there and have to reapply. Or period rain won't hurt them!!!! :(

Hydrogardener
Cool Member

Peppers exposed to the sun may be burned by the heat and this is called sunscald. This happens to early fruit when there are not enough leaves to shade the fruit. Rot organisms enter the fruit through the damaged area and turn the spot black. That pepper is inedible, but the plant may be OK.

Tammy42

Thaanks hydrogardener for the info!!! Can that just end up on one pepper though, because there is a bigger pepper on it and it does not have that on it? Will be going out shortly to check it. Will let you know in a little while. Wish me luck :)

Hydrogardener
Cool Member

Yes it can happen to one pepper. The pepper that does not have scald may be shaded by a leaf. Leaf loss due to diseases may also cause scald.

Tammy42

Thank you very much for the helpful info hydrogardener, come to think of it like that this one was higher up on the leaves and on the left side closer to the sun. I did go out earlier today and check the bigger one, still in good shape(my fingers are crossed). The other big pepper on the other plant is also good to go. Hopefully now this rain we are getting won't do any harm to them. Tammy

Hydrogardener
Cool Member

You are welcome, and I am glad if I have helped you.

Return to “Pepper Forum”