Jerseygardengirl

Dark black joints on pepper plants?

What causes this? I noticed on a lot of the plants the dark or black joints and I also noticed that where they are, the blossoms have a tendency to drop off. Is this bad and if so, how do I get rid of it? Thanks in advance! :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

This is frequent/ normal doesn't mean there's a problem. Here's an earlier thread about this that has some pictures of what it looks like:

www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9387

(you have to read past the beginning posts in this thread, read it all the way down).

If the blossoms are falling off without setting fruit, that's a different issue unrelated to the dark joints. It's called blossom drop and if you type that into the search box at the upper left of most pages, you will find a lot that's already been written here about it. It's basically a stress reaction; when the plant is stressed, it sheds the flowers to focus on plant survival. Lots of different things can cause the stress...

Jerseygardengirl

Thanks for the link, going to check out the posts now. Incidentally, I do have quite a few peppers that are growing, but I thought the slight droppage might be do to that black. Glad to know it isn't.

splat42069

I have this too... But thought it was probally normal because all 6 of my pepper plants have it..

[img]https://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu336/splat42069/100_2635.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu336/splat42069/100_2612.jpg[/img]

Jerseygardengirl

Yep that's exactly what it looks like. Glad to know it isn't harmful!

Return to “Pepper Forum”