JayPoc
Greener Thumb

The humble, productive pepper

Well, I just got in from doing a final pepper harvest (well, not completely final, but close..left a few hot banana and bells on for now). I marvel at how productive and relatively care free peppers can be. We've picked regularly all season long for the table and cooking, put up a big batch of pepper jelly, and a big batch of pickled peppers. This is what I picked today from a total of 7 plants (2 jalaps, 2 hot banana, and 3 bell).

Ok...recipe ideas? I figure I can make a batch of hot sauce (any tips?). What else?

imafan26
Mod

I marvel at your bells. Bell peppers don't do that well for me. I am lucky to get 5 bell peppers from a plant before it dies. Hot peppers are very prolific almost year round.

Hot peppers uses:
Hot pepper sauce
Pepper jelly
salsa
roasted
dried (they are even hotter) for pepper flakes
stuffed bells and Anaheims
Add a couple of peppers to soups and stir fries for added heat.
Pickled onions
I freeze peppers and toss them into the recipes when I want more heat.

applestar
Mod

Looks great JayPoc :clap:

Don't forget about this thread. I just posted in it again 8)
Subject: What to do with an assortment of hot peppers

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Very nice!

A sauce from ripe peppers doesn't need to be any more complicated than this:

Turkish Red Pepper Paste (link)

Hot or not! We use Italian sweet peppers. Frozen in a plastic container, the paste can go in with tomato sauce when you want to add variety to the flavor.

Steve

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Great peppers, JayPoc!

I had to harvest all of my ripe (or any hint of ripe) peppers today, as there is a threat of frost tonight. I also harvested all of the full sized (or close to it) numex, poblanos, and jalapeños, but there are still huge numbers of green peppers of other types that I will pick soon, when a freeze is eminent. I'll post the photos of all of these, once I upload them to my PC.
Last edited by pepperhead212 on Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Productive is an understatement! I wasn't going to post every one of these photos here, so I'm just posting the link to my peppers 2014 album. The first 12 photos are of what I harvested today, the rest are what I have been doing earlier this season. Any questions about any of the varieties I'll be glad to answer...if I can! I'll post a thread with my thoughts on the ones I grew for the first time this season. Funny thing is, I really only had an average pepper season, if that, as it did not get very hot here. Many other plants liked that, but peppers love heat, or at least most of the varieties I grow do.

https://s24.photobucket.com/user/pepperh ... t=3&page=1

Return to “Pepper Forum”