PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Unable to identify pepper plants

Hi,

I planted 6 new varieties of peppers this year. The list is : Cayenne, Peppadew, Chimayo, Douce D'Espagne, Puya, and Feher Ozon. I did not mark them because I figured once they grew I would be able to tell which is which by shape, color, and taste. Well, I have this one plant that has a few big yellow peppers on it and it is causing the plant to tilt. When I look at pics of all the varieties they don't match really. I have 4 of them in pots and 2 in-ground. I only have 3 pictured cause the others fruits are barely coming in now.

I believe the one above is either Cayenne or Puya. They are the only 2 out of the bunch that grows conical shaped peppers. However, these seem too thick to be Cayenne but also on the thick side for Puya as well.

I am thinking these 2 pics below are Cayenne. I will probably know if they turn red.

And this below is either Chimayo or Douce D'Espagne. Both grow a blocky fruit.

I am able to eliminate Peppadew because it is a tiny pepper. And Feher Ozon is both blocky and conical shaped and the color is supposed to be yellow when ripe.

RamonaGS
Green Thumb

The two middle ones I'm pretty sure are cayenne. As for the others that look off to you, they might have cross pollinated. That happened to us several years back when we had a bunch of different peppers growing. Our habanero and bhut jalokia peppers crossed. The jalokia was normal, but the habaneros were even hotter than normal, and they had the wrinkled texture of the jalokia peppers. Our peter peppers crossed with one of the other peppers too, and instead of looking phallic, they looked like weird wrinkled Christmas bulbs, and tasted more like bell peppers. We might not have known what either of them were if they hadn't been marked. It could be you had some of your new peppers cross pollinate and change a little bit.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sorry, Ramona, I don't know what happened to your peppers, but it just doesn't happen that way. Different peppers can easily cross pollinate, but that does not affect the peppers. It only affects the seeds inside those peppers. If you save those seeds and grow them out the next year, you can get the kind of hybrids you described. But if you plant a bell pepper or a habenero or whatever, that is what its peppers will be, all of them, all season, regardless of what pollenates them.

So whatever happened to your peppers happened in the previous generation and that's the kind of seed you had.

"Popular myths allow that two different vegetables can cross in the garden and produce "mutant" fruit. The vegetable that would be harvested is different than either parent.

The truth is that when plants cross, characteristics are not expressed until the seed produced by the cross is planted and produces a new crop."
https://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopExt/ ... thseed.htm

RamonaGS
Green Thumb

Seems far fetched that a Bhut Jalokia would have crossed with a Home Depot habanero at that time. This happened back when you had to know people in India to get the Jalokia seeds. The only reason we had them was because my brother's fans in India found out he likes hot food, and sent him seeds from their own plants. So what do you think Punkrotten's peppers are?

imafan26
Mod

The top one could be a yellow cayenne if it is hot. It is a little thick for that

Peppadew is like a cherry bomb shape

Doeux D'Espagne is a sweet pepper that goes from green to red

Feher Ozon is mildly hot tapered but goes from pale yellow to almost orange in color

Puya looks like the second picture too. It is similar to cayenne in shape but can be up to 3/4 inch thick and 5 inches long. So it is thicker than cayenne. They also mature to red so it is not the yellow pepper in the first picture that you have.

The last picture could be a Chimayo pepper. It has the blocky look, it should go to red when it is ripe. The shape can vary and be 4-7 inches long like an anahiem.

RamonaGS
Green Thumb

Imafan, Do you know if chimayo chilis are good for making chili rellenos?

imafan26
Mod

The first time I bought a packet of hot pepper mix seeds, I had to guess what the peppers were too. Especially the cherry bomb. I did not realize then that the cherry bomb comes in hot and not so hot varieties.

I probably will not do mixed hot pepper seeds again, although I did do carnival mix of sweet peppers.
The one good thing that came out of planting the hot pepper mix was that I was introduced to Hungarian wax peppers, they are among my favorites now.

I grow different kinds of peppers, but when I grow the same ones all the time, I can tell them apart. Right now though, I do have a Thai hot pepper that looks very different from the Thai hots that I had before and I am getting them confused with the serrano.

Here are a couple of links to sites with pics of some common peppers.

P.S. the unidentified pepper in the second link looks like Thai hot. It is hard to guess the size and it is actually helpful to see the plant too. Sometimes the leaves are a clue to the variety.

In case you don't know chili pepper leaves are edible. Filipinos call them sili leaves. They are the tender tip leaves of the pepper plant and they are added to fish soup and stews. They are mildly picante.

https://missvickie.com/howto/spices/pepp ... sdict.html
https://www.chetbacon.com/peppers/Hotpeppers.html

imafan26
Mod

I have not made rellenos with anything else except Anaheim peppers. Anaheims are great for roasting and stuffing. They are not very hot but they do have a nice fruity flavor.

Most of the mild to medium hot peppers, I like to roast or sometimes they are put in soups or stews to spice them up. Usually 3 Hungarian wax peppers in soup or stew (especially fish stew) is good. Once, when we did not know better, my husband put in 3 habanero peppers. The soup was too hot even for him to eat.

One of my coworkers eats hot peppers like candy. She eats frozen jalapeno's and likes the cayennes but she says the habanero tastes like gasoline.

I give tabasco peppers to another co worker and he makes hot chili sauce. I do tell him though that I only pick the peppers he has to clean them himself.

My husband gave a lot of my hot peppers like the cayenne, Thai hot, and serrano to his friend from Peru. He dried them to use them. Actually once we found out by accident if you leave the peppers on the dashboard of your car and park in the sun all day, the peppers dry very nicely. Dried peppers have a hotter, deeper flavor.

I also got spoiled by my husband's Mexican boss. He invited us over to his house and he made roasted salsa, grilling the ingredients, tomatoes, jalapenos, onions, and roasting garlic in tin foil before pureeing them and adding the cilantro. Now I like roasted salsa much better than fresh.

Here's a link to a site that talks about Chimayo chiles

https://www.saveur.com/article/Kitchen/C ... le-Culture

RamonaGS
Green Thumb

I prefer using anaheim chilis for rellenos too, but was wondering about other large sized peppers. I am half hispanic, so I got spoiled with grandma and mom's rellenos! :D My brother is the one in love with super hot food, I only like a little kick, but not too hard. :>

applestar
Mod

imafan26 wrote:Actually once we found out by accident if you leave the peppers on the dashboard of your car and park in the sun all day, the peppers dry very nicely.
That's a neat trick! I'll have to remember that. Do you put them in anything? Warp in a napkin, brown paper lunchbag?

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

The Chimayo and Puya I believe are both Mexican peppers. And both are good as spice and to use in sauces. It is possible that yellow conical pepper is a hybrid. These seeds were from another gardener.

Return to “Pepper Forum”