TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

TomatoNuts 'Maters 2024

Truth be told I have not started anything from seed yet. I'm very, very behind due to an overload of personal problems. Plus I'm still waiting for my new additions to my tomato family to arrive. Today I added something new; apparently it's supposed to be good for heat and drought. I should've had these last year when the drought was so severe.
Attachments
20240219_190550~2.jpg

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

This morning I was filling in holes and low places in the backyard but first I had to remove the residents of one hole so they wouldn't get buried alive. :roll: They were NOT happy about being pulled from their hibernation hole but I had some dirt on hand and wanted to take the advantage. I put the trio in the woods.
Attachments
20240224_112710~2.jpg
20240224_111815~2.jpg

imafan26
Mod

I have grown Super Sioux and Sioux before. They are heat tolerant up to around 90 degrees. If you want something that can take even more heat than that. The varieties bred by Florida are good for heat tolerance.
Arkansas Traveler, Cherokee Purple, Pruden's Purple, Bella Rossa, Homestead 24, Creole, Florida 91, Sun Leaper, Costoluto Genovese, Big Beef, Brandywine, Celebrity are heat tolerant. Some more than others. Most Cherries have good heat tolerance especially the red cherry, and currants. Heat tolerant tomatoes have very few issues with BER. Most non heat tolerant tomatoes will stop setting above 85 degrees. The lower end of the heat tolerant tomatoes will stop setting around 90 degrees. The most Heat tolerant can handle brief periods of temperatures up to 100 degrees.

Most tomatoes are good between 50-85 degrees, but don't take higher temperatures. They will wilt more during the day, BER, fruit drop, and a pause in fruit set are common problems. I only grow the most heat tolerant tomatoes through the summer because everyday in summer is over 85 degrees for me. It is hard to find tomatoes with good disease and heat tolerance and good flavor too.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I've declared war on the whole mouse population. Last night one dug up and ate my seed.
I'm resorting to poison this time because they deserve it. :x :evil:

imafan26
Mod

I had that happen too. Years ago, when I lived in a townhouse, a mouse dug up the corn seed I planted twice. I got a big mouse trap. It went right over it and it did not spring. I asked my neighbor what happened. He asked me how big the mouse was. It was about 3 inches not including the tail. I set a rat trap instead of a mouse trap. So, I got a mouse trap instead and finally caught it. I wasn't used to having to catch mice. I always had cats leaving presents for me.

Now, I have rats with wings. They ate all of my corn and bean seeds twice last year. So, I put up a large hoop house 7 ft tall over the garden covered with bird netting. As long as it is not open, it keeps the birds out. I have to put net bags or trays over seed trays especially for peppers or the doves will eat the seeds out of the starter pots. I have fewer problems with birds now because of the feral cat that comes through my yard, but I am having more problems with fleas.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I'm so behind this year its disgusting. This is the eldest of my tomato seedlings: Mortgage Lifter.
Today I squirted at a flying squirrel with ammonia, cleaned up flying squirrel mess because the filthy vermin was nesting under the carport, pulled weeds and planted onions. Afterwards I flopped on the floor to pop my back before getting cleaned up.
Attachments
20240302_143202_HDR~2.jpg

imafan26
Mod

You can still lie on the floor. That's great. I can't even sit on the floor. It would be hard to get up.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:40 pm
You can still lie on the floor. That's great. I can't even sit on the floor. It would be hard to get up.
I can lie on the floor because I'm 28.

Return to “Tomato Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”