letsgetphil
Newly Registered

Seedling had roots from the stem?

Hi,

I am quite new here. Been reading a lot of threads but never posted anything.
Here is my first contribution with a question.

I wanted to see what would happen if I put a tomato plant inside a sealed jar and just left if there.
Now it has started to grow roots directly out of the stem.

What is the reason/how can it happen?
Does it have to do with the high level of humidity inside the jar?
rötter3.jpg
rötter2.jpg
rötter.jpg

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Tomatoes are very easily rooted by placing a cutting in water. I've grown tomatoes for years, and you can duplicate your favorite plants by taking a 6 in 'sucker' branch of the plant and place it in a vase of water. By the way, in your other post you said you have limited sun in your apartment. Tomatoes and other veggies just do not do good indoors with limited sun exposure. Veggies need direct sun for at least eight hours to perform well.

applestar
Mod

Yeah tomatoes are able to grow roots from anywhere on the stem (often called vine) — you nailed it with the high humidity as the reason.

People sometimes write asking what the strange bumps developing on tomato stem are — typically lower down near the ground but also where the vine is in close contact with side of a container or even fence — and those are the proto-roots that would develop into white roots given the opportunity (more and consistent moisture)

letsgetphil
Newly Registered

TomatoNut95 wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:38 pm
Tomatoes are very easily rooted by placing a cutting in water. I've grown tomatoes for years, and you can duplicate your favorite plants by taking a 6 in 'sucker' branch of the plant and place it in a vase of water. By the way, in your other post you said you have limited sun in your apartment. Tomatoes and other veggies just do not do good indoors with limited sun exposure. Veggies need direct sun for at least eight hours to perform well.
Yes, I wish I would have some space outdoors where my tomatoes would thrive a lot more. Now they are more or less just there as moral support for the other plants :_D
Thanks!

letsgetphil
Newly Registered

applestar wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:46 pm
Yeah tomatoes are able to grow roots from anywhere on the stem (often called vine) — you nailed it with the high humidity as the reason.

People sometimes write asking what the strange bumps developing on tomato stem are — typically lower down near the ground but also where the vine is in close contact with side of a container or even fence — and those are the proto-roots that would develop into white roots given the opportunity (more and consistent moisture)
Boya!! I'm happy I atleast managed to guess that one right! :D I thought to my self, it´s either roots or some freakish parasite growing out of my tomato!

Return to “Tomato Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”