JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Largest tomato of 2017 thread

Somebody had to start it, right? This one is just a pup, but you have to start somewhere. It's a Lehrer Tomate for carelessly saved seed :P

applestar
Mod

Very nice :D
My bigger tomatoes are just starting to come in. Not sure if I will have a competitor this year -- maybe Wes will make an effort, or maybe Amy Sue with Giant Syrian ancestry? There's a pretty good sized Mikhalych too....

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

My Cherokee Purples are getting fairly bIg, much bigger than my Brandywine Reds.
I was debating on whether to replant these next year or not. But after eating one I will definitely be replanting a few.
It took a while to learn how to pick these as they split so quickly and the ants love them. You really need to be on top of these. I've been picking partially ripe and in a day or two they are good to go. The one in the pictures below was picked, sliced, taste tested, seasoned and tossed on the dehydrator for sun dried tomatoes.

sorry didn't weigh it but I'm guessing it was about 13 lbs. :D

applestar
Mod

Uh uh. In THIS THREAD, you have to show photo of the candidate on the scale. We trust you are not cheating. :wink:

This is, by now, an annual tradition. :-()

P.S. GORGEOUS tomato there. Would be perfect on an oval slice from big loaf of rye or something. :D

applestar
Mod

My current largest is not quite 1 Lb -- 15.6 oz Mikhalych picked today blushed -- it will be a few days before it will be fully ripe.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

1 lb 4.6 ounce Beef Steak variety called Big Beef. Very good flavor, excellent slicing tomato, very good in everything, salsa, chili, stew, soup, salads, sandwiches, sauces, and just eating.

applestar
Mod

Yay! Joining the 1 pound club :()

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

My big beefs are starting to ripen, but my largest yesterday was only 14.7 oz., still no 1 lb+ this year. The Cherokee Carbon produced a number over 12 oz., and produced more total, so far, than Big Beef, but again, no 1 lb. tomatoes.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

So here's another Lehrer Tomate...1 lb, 12 and an eighth ounces. There is another monster that is on the same truss that this one was. I'm pretty confident it will be my first over 2 lbs....we'll know for sure in a couple days... :cool:

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Ok....this'll probably be my final entry.

First...over 3 lbs off of one truss. The maters were virtually clones, and really pretty.

And what I'm thinking is the biggest I've ever grown...2 lbs, 2.5 ounces. 34.5 ounces! Not as pretty though and not quite ripe, but more rain tonight and I wanted to get it off of the vine.

All three are from my Lehrer Tomates, saved seed from various year.

Now someone will come along shortly and drop a 3 pounder on us....lol....

applestar
Mod

Wow! Very nice :D

Do you have a picture of how you were supporting that truss? :shock:

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

I didn't do anything special. The LTs are very sturdy, and this truss developed right between a major branch and the cage.

KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

I'm just gobsmacked! Those are some HUGE tomatoes - you sure you don't have steroids in your soil? :wink:

Truly impressive.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Nope...nothing fancy in the soil...just a variety that gets large. I mix in some compost, some black kow, and let her rip. Funny thing is, I grew some "steakhouse" hybrid from the burpee catalog that was supposed to get BIG...up to 3 pounds according to the catalog...and none of them were much more than a pound.

Here's a BLT on a standard sized white bread...that's one slice of tomato...and this isn't even one of the huge ones...lol...

KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

JayPoc wrote:Nope...nothing fancy in the soil...just a variety that gets large. I mix in some compost, some black kow, and let her rip. Funny thing is, I grew some "steakhouse" hybrid from the burpee catalog that was supposed to get BIG...up to 3 pounds according to the catalog...and none of them were much more than a pound.

Here's a BLT on a standard sized white bread...that's one slice of tomato...and this isn't even one of the huge ones...lol...

This should be an ad somewhere, something for living the good life, or organic gardening, or farmers markets...because it looks like the tomato version of popeye when he's just had his spinach, lol!

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

I think I'll refrain from posting anything in this thread lest I be laughed off the forum! :)

Besides, I don't own a scale; yeah, that's it...I don't own any scales...

Return to “Tomato Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”