applestar
Mod

Applestar's 2017 Tomatoes (and peppers and eggplants)

A little late, but I'm going to start posting here about the solanacea I'm growing this year. Earlier details including seed starting, and progress of other stuff I'm growing this year can be found in this thread: Applestar's 2017 Garden

I'll leave this one blank for now so I can add the grow list and other details later. :wink:

2017 Tomato Growlist -- varieties that were actually planted

Tomato, "Tim" (DPPxHOZO.F3) F2 (itali'16)
Tomato, (was) Alonzo's Medals F3 (HBR 9.11.16) bi-color good antho shoulders "Allons-y, Dr.X"
Tomato, Amana Orange (Ellie EGT'14)
Tomato, Amy Sue (digitS'15) Giant Syrian x Marianna's Peace (F5? F6?)
Tomato, Bear Creek (tbug EGT'15)
Tomato, Big Cheef Stripes (kygreg'12?)
Tomato, Brandywine OTV (vendor EGT'14)
Tomato, Cheste (gerardo'Jul2016)
Tomato, De Colgar Papuo PL (gerardo'Jul2016)
Tomato, Delicious (itali 2016)
Tomato, Dwf Blazing Beauty (itali 2016)
Tomato, Dwf Brandy Fred PL (itali 2016)
Tomato, Dwf Chocolate Lightning (tbug)
Tomato, Dwf Orange Cream (itali 2016)
Tomato, Dwf Uluru Ochre (asmx 2016)
Tomato, Elser's Brown Derby (itali 2016)
Tomato, Ernie's Plump (meb'16)
Tomato, Faelan's First Snow (DDsack.september'15)
Tomato, Grandma Oliver's Chocolate (gixx'13)
Tomato, Isolde (clara 2016)
Tomato, M.CF.F3.P1 {Maglia Rosa x Coyote+FFSlv} F3 elongated pink grape cherry Sept'16
Tomato, M.CF.F3.P1 {Maglia Rosa x Coyote+FFSlv} F3 elongated pink grape cherry (9.5.16ChLn) - abandoned fruits
Tomato, M.CF.F3.P1 {Maglia Rosa x Coyote+FFSlv} F3 white grape Jul'16
Tomato, M.CF.F3.P1b {Maglia Rosa x Coyote+FFSlv} white cherry (16ChLn) - abandoned fruits
Tomato, M.CF.F3.P2 {Maglia Rosa x Coyote+FFSlv} F3 small pink cherry Sept'16
Tomato, Marz Pulcent (clara 2016)
Tomato, Maskotka (Clara 2016)
Tomato, Mikhalych (tb 2016)
Tomato, Mucha Miel (gerardo'Nov2016)
Tomato, Opalka (windingwoods'13 Marsha)
Tomato, Ramallet D’es Figueral (gerardo'Nov2016)
Tomato, Ramallet Mallorquín Pequeño Multiflora (gerardo'Nov2016)
Tomato, Ramallet Pequeñito en Ramos Multiflora (gerardo'Nov2016)
Tomato, Raymondo's Australian Mist 2016
Tomato, Rebel Alliance F5 (Marsha'16)
Tomato, Rebel Yell (asmx'13)
Tomato, Roman Candle (2012 TDRR'14-15 M-Z)
Tomato, Sergeant Pepper's (itali'16)
Tomato, Steelhead (itali'15.Plant#2)
Tomato, Terhune x ? F3? HBR'16
Tomato, The Witz (digitS'16) Woodle Orange x unknown F7 or F8
Tomato, Vernissage Yellow Clear Flesh (VGC'15)
Tomato, Wes '14
Tomato, WS.FFS {Whippersnapper x FFSlv} F4 heart 8.16.16 ChLn
Last edited by applestar on Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Added the Growlist

applestar
Mod

Copying some of the progress reports.photos from the other thread --
Subject: Applestar's 2017 Garden
Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:09 pm
applestar wrote:Took some photos of tomato blossoms and green baby fruits today :D

I was intrigued by these mega-blossoms -- (and of course HAD to include the one not mega with a metallic green bee working it)

These are my Maglia Rosa x (Coyote and Faelan's First Snow) F3 segregates. Early to mature.

Seeing those bright yellow blossoms made the clear flesh Vernissage Yellow's pale flower petals (and of course the striped fruits) stand out --

I wish Rebel Alliance was a little bit more grown up so you could see the multiflorall trusses better --

Marz Pulcent was the first variety to mature -

applestar
Mod

Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:05 pm
applestar wrote:Tomatoes with green fruits in the Sunflower House and the Sunflower House Extension

First -- The Map

SFH

Dwarf tomatoes

- Dwarf Blazing Beauty
- Dwarf Chocolate Lightning
- Dwarf Orange Cream
- Dwarf Uluru Ochre

indeterminates, determinates

- Cheste (gerardo'Jul2016)
- Grandma Oliver's Chocolate (gixx'13)
- Ernie's Plump (meb'16)
- Ramallet Mallorquín Pequeño Multiflora (gerardo'Nov2016)
- Sergeant Pepper's (itali'16)
- Amy Sue (digitS'15) {Giant Syrian x Marianna's Peace F5? F6?}
- The Witz (digitS'16) Woodle Orange x ? F7/F8
- Mikhalych (tillyboris 2016)

cherry tomatoes

SFHX
- Maskotka (Clara 2016)
- WS.FFS F4 heart 8.16.16 ChLn
- NOT Raymondo's Australian Mist RPL (Aug'16)
- Rebel Alliance F5 (Marsha'16)
- Isolde (clara 2016)
- Vernissage Yellow Clear Flesh (VGC'15)

I am excited to see ALL THESE fruit shapes in the MRxCF F3 segregates. A little surprise, too, which I'm not sure how to interpret -- I will followup about that later. (Click for enlarged, zoomable view)

Since they started fruiting, I gave them all a side dressing of Tomato-tone. I want to put down kelp meal as well, but keep having to do other priority chores. I think I have to water as soon as it is light since the last rain didn't supply as as much water as needed -- only just enough for them to recover from being dry.

applestar
Mod

Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:28 pm
applestar wrote:I just realized maybe I should be posting the tomatoes in the tomato garden progress forum.... :roll:

Well, maybe soon. For now, here are some more developing green fruits --
- Bear Creek (tbug EGT'15)
- Cheste (gerardo'Jul2016)
- Ernie's Plump (meb'16) -- fun shapes!
- Grandma Oliver's Chocolate (gixx'13)

I guess I might've shown these dwarfs before? They are growing well and I must have started them early enough because they are fruiting with the earliest of the indies... or else these are earlier varieties.
- Dwf Uluru Ochre (asmx 2016)
- Dwf Chocolate Lightning (tbug)
- Dwf Blazing Beauty (itali 2016)

applestar
Mod

I didn't know Rebel Alliance fruits were going to look like these! Look at these super fun shapes :D This is a Multiflora too. :-()
Attachments
IMG_4016.JPG

applestar
Mod

Raymondo's Australian Mist was received so well by my father last year that I grew it again from saved seeds this year, but unfortunately, most of the seedlings were RL... instead of PL like they should have been.

I had two plants last year -- one was in the Cherry Lane with other cherry tomatoes and my crosses so any of them could have contributed if this is a result of accidental cross, but the other plant was in a relatively isolated location with Berner Rose, Bychye Serdtse, Great White, Lush Queen... and Dwarf Wild Fred.

Here are two of what I thought at first were plain ol' RL.. does the one on the right look a bit like rugose leaf dwarf?

Left photo shows the huge full-size leaf of another plant -- I think this one was the one I noticed as having what I call "currant leaf" as a seedling -- typical of Coyote and other wild ancestry varieties. Two more RL plants here.

I have the only PL plant in this location (SFHX) as well, but this is the plant that had weirdness going on initially -- at first I was concerned that it was a virus, but when I cut off those wrinkly.crinkly growths, side shoots grew normally so we will see.

And I planted one or two other RL plants in VGB.PSRB.

Some of these already have green fruits -- nice and early maturing which is a plus, and the fruit shapes and appearances are different. I'll photo.document them and compare when they develop a little more.

Raymondo's Australian Mist fruits from last year. They are larger than large cherry but smaller than what I think of as saladette. Flattened smooth round. Epi is clear so a "white" and some (very few) of them developed blossom end blush -- I think those are the ones I saved seeds from. They were from the plant that grew in the isolated location -- a MONSTER plant. Foliage was susceptible to tomato pinworms though. Also susceptible to tomato leaf miners.
Subject: Learning • Practicing to Cross Breed Tomato Varieties
applestar wrote: Image Raymondo's Australian Mist with BE blush

applestar
Mod

I'm "helping" grow out and try some tomato varieties from Spain (are you kidding, I jumped at the chance! :-()

They are all growing well and getting bigger. I am too intrigued by the multifloral trusses -- I took pics of THEM again but forgot to take pictures of the other two varieties. :>

Here are:
Ramallet Mallorquín Pequeño Multiflora
Ramallet Pequeñito en Ramos Multiflora

Actually, two plants of Ramallet D’es Figueral are branching and trying to spread out -- trying to take over their little corner. I've had to cut back perfectly good looking leaves to give the multifloral truss of the Pequeñito more room to spread out.

And the one plant of De Colgar Papuo PL is planted between one of the two Pequeño MF and the one Pequeñito MF and is being resented for the space hogging tendency of its PL foliage. :P

Initially, they were worrying me because all of their foliage kept getting multitudes of tiny brown specks. Nothing like I have seen before here. I wondered if this was some tropical bacterial thing. But maybe they have been able to get past the infection? I am not noticing issues now other than the usual slow appearance of septoria and early blight, which hopefully will not become a problem.

I'm definitely going to try threading these tomatoes on raffia strings and hanging them for authentic look and mode of storage after they are harvested. :()

applestar
Mod

Some of the rest of the SFH (Sunflower House) tomato garden --

Image ...Wes was first to reach the top of the trellis 8)

...and the dwarfs again... :>

-- this year, I have been trying something different up to now:
* I haven't been mulching -- whhhaaattt? :shock:
* I'm adopting "no tolerance" policy for any diseased leaf -- yellow spreading early blight sign? Gone. Black septoria spot? You're outta here! ...sure makes for good looking Tomato Garden photos. :lol:

-- HOWEVER, now that weeds are everywhere and some areas of my yard and garden are becoming overgrown, and frequent brutal summer heat as well as drought can be expected, I WILL be starting to mulch with cut weeds, etc.

applestar
Mod

First blushing fruits in the SFH•SFHX Tomato Gardens :D

- Not Raymondo's Australian Mist Currant-leaf RL
- M.CF.F3.P1 (Maglia Rosa x [Coyote+Faelans First Snow] F3) -- this one is looking more and more like pollen donor was Coyote
- Maskotka
- Isolde
...I think this Not Raymondo's is more of a clear yellow than the true variety which is white like my cross below it which grew from last year's white cherry .

Those fruits on the first/lowest truss of MR.CF.F3.P1 is about the same size as fruits of Coyote, but the higher trusses are developing into larger-sized fruits. Very intriguing....

In the mean time, on the Kitchen Garden Patio, one container and 3 hanging baskets of Marz Pulcent and Maskotka are all progressing to ripe fruits :()

applestar
Mod

Ramallet Mallorquín Pequeño Multiflora (gerardo'Nov2016) fruits are VERY pointy hearts! :D

applestar
Mod

I think I'm seeing color-break in Ernie's Plump

applestar
Mod

Amy Sue F5 or F6 and Sergeant Pepper's

...I didn't realize Amy Sue was going to claim so much real-estate. I may have to try to tie her branches over more so Sergeant P can get more sun-time and get more "tanned"/antho colors on shoulders.

applestar
Mod

I saved seeds from Orient Express eggplants that I grew in 2014 by bringing the container inside and maturing the fruit. I think my friend sent me the F1 hybrid seeds so these would be F2. Hari eggplant is also growing from saved seeds. When I don't know if the original was a hybrid, I use the "g-designation".

I put the Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate in the middle of the bed because the gardener from Australia who sent the seeds said they grew HUGE -- so even here, these two plants may get BIG ::)

These are in the VGA.HRB (High Raised Bed) which had those giant night crawlers living in the clay subsoil underneath....

KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

Thank you for making the photos easier to see! Now I can try and follow along with your thread. :wink:

Just an fyi: I find that your threads take a long time to load, probably because they are photo heavy. I'm wondering if anyone else is finding that to be an issue? If so, you might want to resize your photos to be smaller in size...just a thought.

applestar
Mod

A while ago someone said they couldn't view my threads at all because they had dial-up internet service.... We have FiOS although not the latest and the fastest. Some members said they read the forums at work where they have the hard wired fast internet. I guess it depends on traffic, too. Way slow at lunchtime hours starting with east coast and across USA time zones, then around 5pm and evening hours. Amazingly speedy access during wee hours of the morning....

I use Flickr for photo hosting and choose image size depending on complexity of the collage and/or how much detail you might want to zoom in on. Sometimes, I guess wrong.

applestar
Mod

Ripe and blushing fruits --

Harvested --
Those Maglia Rosa x Coyote F3 white cherries are all from the SAME plant. Little one is from the lowest truss.
...Uluru Ochre split in the rinse bucket... This first fruit from the plant is a bit runty, too.

applestar
Mod

Vernissage Yellow (Clear Flesh) was blushing today. I hope to find Clear Flesh in fruits of at least one of these three plants :-()

applestar
Mod

Today's near-ripe tomato harvest involved picking every last one of Maskotka in the SFH that was anywhere near ripe because I found this

It made me nervous enough to pick these two MR.C F3-2 (white grape with point), which resisted my initial attempt to harvest it.

BTW, I discovered another clerical error. :oops:
The hanging basket in the SF&H is Maskotka not Marz Pulcent. Marz Pulcent basket is on the KGP. I KNEW this and described them correctly when talking about them, but whenever I copied and pasted the label from the map so I wouldn't get the spelling wrong, I was apparently labeling with the wrong variety name/description because I had them switched around on the map. :roll:

applestar
Mod

Can NOT wait for these Sergeant Pepper's to ripen :-()

applestar
Mod

I've seen people post about fruits like this, but this was my first, ever. :shock:

This is the SF&H Maskotka in a hanging basket. It's a determinate so it's doing its best to ripen the remaining fruits, probably sacrificing the foliage in the process because they are getting ragged and yellowed fast, and falling to fungal assaults. This one is also drying out despite the emergency water bottle -- it gets more sun than the hanging basket Marz Pulcent on the Kitchen Garden Patio, which is in the house shadow by late afternoon.

Anyway, with the excessive rains we had, there was a split fruit way inside where I couldn't reach without going inside. So I was just going to turn the basket, you know? So I could reach? The something caught my eye -- there was a "nosy" fruit, peeking out from between the chicken wire :lol:

---

applestar
Mod

First of the large fruited varieties to ripen -- 
Mikhalych (tb 2016) in the Sunflower House
-- it's a lumpy fused blossom fruit -- red and almost full ripe on one side but not on the other ...

(...oh yes, those black-looking --actually very dark brown-- things to the left are seriously mite damaged but ripe Pasilla Bajio peppers fruits from overwintered 2015 plant.)

In the SFHX (Sunflower House Extension) cherry tomato bed, harvest of ripe fruits continue -- today, 2nd fruit of Vernissage Yellow Clear Flesh and others from my crosses which will be reported in the Cross Breeding thread :wink:

applestar
Mod

I have a Peppadew pepper plant grown from seeds received in trade and marked "do not share." I don't know if that means they were "genoowine", smuggled, black market seeds. :P I've overwintered it at least twice now, maybe three times. It struggled with mite infestation last year and this year, but have bounced back. I walk by it every day, but it hadn't caught my attention until today when I saw some fruits that look nearly ready to pick.

The plant looked "odd" -- I registered it without defining what it was that made it wrong... then while I was trying to take pictures of the blushed/nearly ripe fruits, it occurred to me that some ...no... SIGNIFICANT amount of foliage was missing... Hornworm, definitely. So I started looking, expecting something kind of small.... then saw this monster! :shock:

How is it that it managed to escape my notice for so long? :roll:

applestar
Mod

I'm keeping Maui Purple and Black Scorpion Tongue Ladybug strain plants next to each other so I can compare them. They are both currently growing in 6 inch clay pot, though I may plant them both in this planter.

Maui Purple has upward growing pointy narrow fruits:

BST Ladybug has blocky-blunt downward growing fruits. I'm hoping to see some streaking and spotting as the fruits mature:

I've bagged a couple of flower trusses so I will be able to save pure seeds that haven't been bee-crossed with each other:
...but it might be interesting if some DID end up crossing... Image

applestar
Mod

Wes is a very tall variety, large red heart, somewhat wispy regular leaf foliage. It has excellent flavor when allowed to ripen almost past prime on the counter. Great for fresh eating and makes incredible sauce. I always squeeze at least a couple of plants in my burgeoning tomato garden every year, and grow extra plants for my MIL.

It has its quirks. As seedling, it grows faster than almost any other variety and is always trying to touch the lights. Once planted, it grows fast and taller than any other indeterminate except the cherry varieties. I have it marked with XXT in my master list.

This year, it didn't set fruit on any of the lower trusses and first fruit is about 4 feet high, but have been productive above -- others have set above the top of the 5.5 ft trellis.

Those vines should grow for at least another 3 feet or so along the top.

applestar
Mod

Today --

That green tomato is a Uluru Ochre with blossom end rot. Rather than leaving it on the plant and uselessly take up nutrients and water, I decided to cull it. Too bad because it's a good size, but there are quite a few more similar size fruits, and there is (a smaller) one almost ripe enough to pick. Other green fruit is a persimmon that I accidentally knocked off while trying to train an espalier branch. :(

applestar
Mod

Tomatoes from today (well, yesterday now)

Still loving the shape of "Jack Frost's Early Love". Had to pick the Dwarf Blazing Beauty because it had split at stem end. As it turned out, when I dumped it in the cold water in the rinse bucket, it completely split down the side -- such a pretty color tomato.

These Vernissage Yellow "Clear Flesh" are from 2nd plant and has larger fruits AND seem to have the hoped-for clear flesh. I tasted some of them today, and the smaller fruits were opaque, not clear fleshed and mushy/mealy textured while the larger clear fleshed fruits had the firmer texture I like. BUT the opaque-fleshed ones were sweeter and better flavored. But there was one that was all acid.... :|

The ones I had were maybe overripe -- all surface stripes had turned yellow -- so I'll try again tomorrow with some that still have green stripes and see if that makes a difference.

applestar
Mod

Big fruited tomatoes are starting to ripen and trickling in. So fun to see what kind of colors, shapes, and sizes they turn out to be.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Looking good. Always like to see the colors you produce. This year I concentrated on Better Boy, Cherokee Purple and Brandywine. CP is by far the favorite to the folks I give tomatoes. I think my Brandywine seed have strayed and/or crossed. I have some late ones planted separately from original Thomas Jefferson Monticello store, hoping for some fruit and a save of clean seed.

applestar
Mod

Today's tomatoes -- I'm having critter trouble

Harvested these not quite ripe and even just blushed to keep them safe from the chipmunks :x
TOP -
Sgt. Pepper’s, Amy Sue, Dwarf Blazing Beauty, Dwarf Uluru Ochre
Ernie’s Plump, The Dwarf Chocolate Lightning, Dwarf Uluru Ochre
CENTER -
Vernissage Yellow, Whippersnapper x FFS F4 “Jack Frost’s Early Love"
Maglia Rosa x Coyote F3 - blushed - “Buttercream Punch”
Not Raymondo’s Australian Mist

Close up of Sergeant Pepper's -- first time growing this variety. The first fruit was kind of runty, but I'll take it! Looking forward to these big two :-()

More to come

applestar
Mod

Fist full-sized Sergeant Pepper's is blushing :D

Bear Creek is at color break :-()

applestar
Mod

Ramallet Mallorquin Pequeño Multiflora -- all the green fruits in the foreground are from the two trusses on this one plant.

Ramallet D'es Figueral #1 and #2

applestar
Mod

Wes

applestar
Mod

:() Sergeant Pepper's

6/14 - I REALLY LIKE this one

Last edited by applestar on Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added today's Striped one

applestar
Mod

This one is a segregate of "Steelhead" -- a cross between a strain of Brandywine and Ananas Noir. I can't remember what filial generation it's at. The breeder named it for the colors which reminded him of the fish.

applestar
Mod

This is "Allons-y, Dr.X". It's a still-segregating F3 generation of Purple Elgin x Sgt. Pepper's from which a breeder is planning to select for specific characteristics and call it "Alonzo's Medals".

When the segregate of the F2 I was growing produced a completely different type -- bi-color with antho (blue pigment) shoulders, he told me I could give it a different name and continue to pursue this segregate if I liked. So I saved the seeds from a fruit harvested (HBR 9.11.16), and named it "Allons-y, Dr.X".

This first fruit was a bit mis-shapen due to double-blossom/conjoined twin fruit and some incomplete pollination issues during the heat-wave, but when the distracting damaged parts were trimmed off, it looked quite impressive. I think those green streaks and speckles turned into these galaxy/nebula-like yellow marks? Red and yellow bi-color into the flesh... only a sprinkling of antho on this fruit, but the antho was also present in the flesh after the skin was removed.

It was very tasty, too -- assertive front-end flavor, not so much sweet as maybe salty and very tomato-y, with building umami in the middle, then strong, tangy finish and lingering acid bite.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

I grew Sgt. Peppers a few years ago from seeds from Don. I don't recall the antho in them, but maybe they had it. I only grew them the one time due mainly to the fact that the plant was sort of sickly and spindly from the get-go. Are yours like that? I'm sure I still have seeds somewhere...

applestar
Mod

This is Uluru Ochre. It's a genetic dwarf -- only 3-4 feet tall, but one of the newer generations that produce really nice sized slicers. And it is VERY productive as well. This one was 9.2 oz I believe and I actually grew it in a 2.5 gallon container.

It's also one of the "new" color tomatoes. I had such a difficult time trying to get the photo to turn out the right color. The whole fruit could be a little lighter yellow-orange color, which puts it in the "YELLOW" tomato category in tomato parlance. But it has green shoulders, which you may have heard is an old-fashioned trait bred out of modern solid red tomatoes which actually has great flavor genes linked to it. It also retains chlorophyll in the flesh and gel that give it that really icky greenish.brownish cast to it that give you a pause. When I first saw photos, I thought "how UGLY!"

But seriously, this is an absolutely delicious tomato. If you like black/brown tomatoes, I think you will like this one, too. You HAVE to try it to believe it.

Edited to add -- my tomato-loving DD2's comment -- this is one of those tomatoes that doesn't need salt, just a little bit to make it sweeter (salt enhances/brings out the sweetness), but too much salt would ruin it.

applestar
Mod

JayPoc wrote:I grew Sgt. Peppers a few years ago from seeds from Don. I don't recall the antho in them, but maybe they had it. I only grew them the one time due mainly to the fact that the plant was sort of sickly and spindly from the get-go. Are yours like that? I'm sure I still have seeds somewhere...
Yep. Sgt. Pepper's has VERY wispy foliage and growth pattern -- thin, skinny leaves, droopy habit. But it's also one of the tallest seedlings in the bunch -- always trying to touch the lights. You will also find some strong antho expression in some of the seedling stems and leaf veins/leaves -- purple! -- which sometimes makes you think it's sickly like from being cold... but it's not. You get used to these oddball characteristics after growing a few of them :wink:

OK found a good representative photo --
applestar wrote:Can you see the three super dark/antho stemmed, wispy foliage seedlings (one in left photo, 2 in right) that have outpaced the fellow seedlings and are growing past the reflector or into the lights, trying to touch them?

These troublemakers are all Sergeant Pepper's. The fruits will be Pink heart with antho/purple shoulders. :-()

applestar
Mod

Here's Vernissage Yellow (VY) after peeling and deseeding. I'm comparing what I'm calling "clear flesh" trait in this selection. I have two distinctly different fruits from two different plants.

One is larger fruited than the other. The Large fruits have these big veining and clear flesh in between. The Small has clear flesh without the significant veining. I also included a fruit from Currant Leaf Not Raymondo's Australian Mist which I noticed also has clear flesh, and one of my crosses with white grape cherry which has opaque flesh.

I was hoping to pursue the larger fruited VY for the size, but the flavor of the Small segregate is better. Large segregate has what we disdainfully call "mild" flavor.... On the other hand, the Large segregate seems to have more of the yellow-striped clear epi.

applestar
Mod

I finally got around to cleaning up under the insect screen tunnel over the "Apple Guild" bed -- narrow bed just outside the dripline of the semi-dwarf Enterprise Apple tree ... I try to plant things that are part of the Apple tree Guild/Plant Commmunity according to permaculture guidelines (solanacea is one of them). The broccoli were stunted and in tatters where the leaves had been pressing against the netting and allowing access to cabbage moths -- they all went into the compost bin -- and most of the onions had dried tops and needed to be harvested.

The white pepper's I had been glimpsing through the netting are looking really good. No sign of pepper maggot infiltration. They were both originally started from seeds in 2015 and over-wintered. They had been stunted severely due to broadmite infestation.

I think the 2nd plant must be Roumanian Rainbow since this fruit has the blunt bell pepper-like shape and I believe Feherozöne has pointed fruits. I lost track of which of the two this was and was waiting for it to fruit.

This one I think is the NOT Chocolate Cake I was trying one more time to see if These seeds would grow true before obtaining a new batch of seeds... and it doesn't look quite right this time either. Oh well.

... UNLESS it's a Sweet Chocoloco....?

Return to “Tomato Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”