Anita.S
Newly Registered

tomato type query

hello

I have got some tomatoes :) The type on the packet says 'tomato kaya'.
Can't find what would be the final size of the fruit and when to harvest. Right now they are the size of cherry tomatoes and one has already fallen from its branch... .........Should I pluck the rest too?
Attachments
picture of the packet
picture of the packet

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Hi Anita,

I was not able to view your photo.

Hopefully Applestar will pop in. She is the tomato Diva.

Anita.S
Newly Registered

I have reattached the picture..

What is applestar?

if this is tomato diva.... what should I do? Harvest it now? or wait further..... it is still pale green

Please advice!

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_20170215_0917271.jpg

Anita.S
Newly Registered

IMG_20170215_0917271.jpg

applestar
Mod

Hello! Welcome to the Helpful Gardener Forum. I'm Applestar :D ElizabethB is being too kind. :wink:

We seem to be having technical difficulties with the uploaded image.
I tried looking up for any tomato variety called "kaya" but only results I came across were references to Indian curry dish that has something to do with green beans....

Are you saying the fruits are size of cherry tomatoes, still green, but one fell off as though ripe?

There ARE green-when-ripe varieties of tomatoes. Some turn amber-colored at blossom-end/bottom as they ripen, and some remain green. But there IS a way to tell when they are ripe -- the surface of the fruit changes from shiny hard green to satiny green and will "give" a little when pressed, just like ripe fruit -- mango for example. No matter what the color, satiny texture and a slight give are my favorite indicators to determine ripeness. I usually pick them at this stage to finish ripening -- 2-5 days in the house.

webmaster
Site Admin

All fixed! :)

applestar
Mod

Thank you, Webmaster :D

...looking at the seed package, I also tried searching for possible variety called Mars F1, but only one that came up was a hybrid pumpkin variety. And searching for Damian didn't bring up a seed vendor :?

Let's go back to the condition of the plant itself. Please describe in more detail what's been going on with the plant. Maybe post some pictures. We'll figure this out yet. :wink:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I checked Tatiana's tomatobase, which is sort of the definitive reference, but maybe not as inclusive for things grown in India. Anyway tatiana had no search results for tomato kaya or tomato Mars.

Damani is a seed company in India. I think you should address your queries to them. Here's their email address:
damani@pn2.vsnl.net.in

But yes, if you want us to do the best we can, pictures of your plant would help.

Return to “Tomato Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”