HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

my San Marzan has fruit already

My San Marzano tomato plant has fruit already. Tomato plants fruiting in June is unheard of around here. It must be due to the unusually warm El Nino weather. See the little fruits in the photo?
image.jpg

Asica

Great. Enjoy them. I just picked my first tomatoes.

TomatoGirl

Awesome. I grew these last year and most of them got blossom end rot. Plum tomatoes are apparently known for this, so make sure they are getting watered deep and have enough calcium. Enjoy them, I still only have little baby ones.

Allyn
Green Thumb

Nice!

My tomatoes are done for the season. I'm picking the last few stragglers now, but I'll be germinating some seeds next month for fall planting. I have some San Marzan seeds that I saved for fall because I just knew they'd all end up with BER if I planted them in spring. Even planting them in SiPs to maintain consistent moisture, I'm getting BER on my plum tomatoes from the soil being too warm. The plant can't take up calcium if the soil is too warm. I hope my fall harvest will be better.

Yours look nice! Yum!

TomatoGirl

Allyn wrote:Nice!

My tomatoes are done for the season. I'm picking the last few stragglers now, but I'll be germinating some seeds next month for fall planting. I have some San Marzan seeds that I saved for fall because I just knew they'd all end up with BER if I planted them in spring. Even planting them in SiPs to maintain consistent moisture, I'm getting BER on my plum tomatoes from the soil being too warm. The plant can't take up calcium if the soil is too warm. I hope my fall harvest will be better.

Yours look nice! Yum!
So jealous you can grow in the Fall. Here in Canada all my tomatoes are dead from cold by October.

Allyn
Green Thumb

TomatoGirl wrote:So jealous you can grow in the Fall. Here in Canada all my tomatoes are dead from cold by October.
And I'm so jealous that you can grow all summer. :)

TomatoGirl

it's cold in the summer where you are?

Allyn
Green Thumb

TomatoGirl wrote:it's cold in the summer where you are?

Oh no. Just the opposite, in fact. It is so hot and humid in the summer that we're limited what will survive in the heat, and the plants that might survive are plagued by fungus and mildew problems because of the humidity. It's generally a losing battle, so by the middle of June, the garden is just about done. A vegetable variety being "heat resistant" just means they'll survive longer, but they all succumb.

I'll hide in the air-conditioning for July and August and then emerge again in September with my seedlings that I started inside for another go'round in fall. Fall is great for gardening here. The days are warm, the nights are cooler but still warm enough and the garden pests are gone. We don't usually have to worry about cold weather until December and even then, it isn't cold. I just need to watch the weather forecasts in case we get a frost. The locals think it gets cold here, but their definition of "cold" simply means I need to put on a jacket to cover my arms. January is the worst month. The temperature might even get all the way down to...:::gasp:::: freezing for a whole hour or maybe two. It's a major event; people call everyone they know to let them know it's going to freeze.

TomatoGirl

Allyn wrote:
TomatoGirl wrote:it's cold in the summer where you are?

Oh no. Just the opposite, in fact. It is so hot and humid in the summer that we're limited what will survive in the heat, and the plants that might survive are plagued by fungus and mildew problems because of the humidity. It's generally a losing battle, so by the middle of June, the garden is just about done. A vegetable variety being "heat resistant" just means they'll survive longer, but they all succumb.

I'll hide in the air-conditioning for July and August and then emerge again in September with my seedlings that I started inside for another go'round in fall. Fall is great for gardening here. The days are warm, the nights are cooler but still warm enough and the garden pests are gone. We don't usually have to worry about cold weather until December and even then, it isn't cold. I just need to watch the weather forecasts in case we get a frost. The locals think it gets cold here, but their definition of "cold" simply means I need to put on a jacket to cover my arms. January is the worst month. The temperature might even get all the way down to...:::gasp:::: freezing for a whole hour or maybe two. It's a major event; people call everyone they know to let them know it's going to freeze.
Wow!! I could live with that!! Amazing. You must have a wonderful growing season yearly. Winter accounts for between 4 and 5 months here, with temperatures getting to -30 or colder. Several feet of snow over the winter.
I wasn't born here, and I will never get used to the freezing cold. I love to grow, but as you can imagine, I don't get to do much. You can't plant outside until the end of May because of frost, and everything is dead by October-ish. I long to be able to grow for more than 4-5 months.

Return to “Tomato Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”