Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Re: Tomatoes 39" tall in 4 weeks, 6 different kinds.

I harvested 42 lbs of tomatoes today. 1 row of my tomatoes looks like it has blight. 1 plant turned brown and died then it spread to the other 11 plants in that row. I was only getting tomatoes for 8 of those plants and just as the other 4 plants started to make tomatoes the plants were dead. I have 4 new plants that just started making tomatoes this week so we will still have tomatoes for a while. As soon as I clean away this row of dead plants I will plant new tomatoes plant in their place we should have a few tomatoes by Oct. I always throw all the bad tomatoes in a certain part of the garden for the seed to grow there are probably 200 plants coming up that I can get 12 good trans plants for the new tomato row. I also have 2 more late tomato plants that are not making tomatoes yet. There will be several more pint jars on tomatoes in the pantry later today.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We canned 12 pints of tomatoes and have enough tomatoes to do 12 more pints. We have enough tomatoes for the winter so I will give all the rest of these tomatoes away. I hope my tomato plants hang in there and make at least 1 tomato per day until frost kills them. We often get frost about Halloween and some years no frost until after Christmas.

All summer every time something dies I replace it with tomato seeds. Seeds are up in a few days and 1 plants over powers the rest and becomes a full grown plant. There are several tomato plants scattered around the garden all are 2 to 3 weeks apart so if all the original plants die I have 7 plants that will grow until frost kills them. Hopefully we will have a few tomatoes on the kitchen table until November.

If the tomato plants get blight it is usually the 3rd week of July so I always plant enough tomatoes to be able to have 150 lbs of tomatoes in mason jars by the second week of July. If tomatoes all die I have my winter supply of tomatoes.

Dirt Man

I always plant about 6 different kinds of tomatoes so no matter what the weather does 2 or 3 types will do better than all the others. This year Big Beef and Beef master were the top producers. Big Beef produced tomatoes 1 week before Early Girl. Cherry tomatoes were for first plants to produce tomatoes 2 weeks before any others. Beef Steak was very late producing tomatoes and produced very few tomatoes unlike Beef Steak I grew in the past so this makes me thing they were labeled wrong and were not really Beef Steak. Big Beef and Beef master a total of 8 plants were producing 30 lbs of tomatoes every day from about June 20 to July 15. We had 102 degrees weather 1 day in June then it was about 95 to 97 every day from July 4 to mid Oct the tomatoes suffered and many died in the heat. The tomatoes I planted in the shade did best in 97 degrees heat the plants got full sun early morning 8 am to 12 noon then the big tree gave them shade the hottest part of the day until dark. At its peak 24 tomato plants were producing 40 lbs of tomatoes every day for about 3 weeks. For 2 month 97 degree temperatures and no rain tomato plants made just enough to have a few for dinner every day we had Canned 140 lbs of tomatoes in Mason Jars by July 14. Now 10/11/16 the weather is cooling down 78 to 84 degrees every day and still no rain but we still get tomatoes to eat every day I have been watering the plants every day also and 9 plants are still alive but look almost dead. The cooler temperatures has causes the plants to have new green growth that sticks out like a sort toe on these dead looking plants. Things are picking up I harvested 10 tomatoes yesterday evening for dinner.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

No rain in 2 1/2 months. TV News says worse drought in TN since 1911. 9 tomato plants are still making enough tomatoes to have a few for the kitchen table. It was 82 degrees today and 65 last night. We may not have frost for another month and maybe no freeze for 2 months.

Return to “Tomato Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”