JayPoc
Greener Thumb

JayPoc's 2016 'Mater Garden, part 1

Here is my main batch for 2016. I'll probably start a few dwarf in a few weeks for some late season production. Planted last Sunday, 2 seeds per cell. Kept on a heat mat the first few days at @87 degrees. The empty looking cells toward the bottom have seedlings that are just now started to emerge. Those were German Johnson from seed that is quite old. Looks like a terrific germination rate. Started for this year are:

Lehrer Tomate
Grandma Oliver's Chocolate (my current "favorite")
Cherokee Purple
Oranje van Goiijenbier
German Johnson

applestar
Mod

Yay! Looking good! :-()

I have seeds for Oranje van Goiijenbier (I think ) but haven't tried growing them yet. Have you before?

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:Yay! Looking good! :-()

I have seeds for Oranje van Goiijenbier (I think ) but haven't tried growing them yet. Have you before?
Yes...I think we've talked about that before. They're awesome!

and another I just found...

applestar
Mod

Uh oh.... 8) :-() :| :lol:

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Well...over the last few days I went from this:

to this:

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Nice tomato starts!
I have been looking at recipes for Smoked Tomatoes. I'm going to try making some. Smoked Tomatoes sounds good, doesn't it?

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

What a difference a week makes! They didn't even slow down from the shock of transplanting them...and I was pretty rough with them. Funny thing is, they seem to be growing much better this year outside in the cool air than last year in the greenhouse. Looks like temps in the 50s and 60s with full sun are better than the filtered sun in an 80 degree greenhouse. Some mornings, it has been in the low 40s when I put them out but they never seemed to mind. They've grown so much in the last week that I'm afraid they will outgrow their cups prior to planting out. Our last frost date is usually considered to be mid May, but it's been unusually warm so far. Still, I know better than to even think about going into the ground with them for quite a while...

Oh, and by the way...I left them out last night overnight for the first time, and they got rained on pretty good. The seemed pretty happy this morning when I checked in on them... :()

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Hadn't posted an update in a while, so here goes. I'm now officially in "these things can't live in these cups another whole month" panic mode. Here's to hoping the long term forecast looks favorable in another couple of weeks...

applestar
Mod

Wow, looking fantastic @Jaypoc :clap:

...same here re: planting date. Good luck to both of us and everyone else in the same boat.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:Wow, looking fantastic @Jaypoc :clap:

...same here re: planting date. Good luck to both of us and everyone else in the same boat.
I've always found that a sure way to bring about a late spring freeze is to plant some tomatoes in the ground. Sort of like how you're sure to cause a thunderstorm by washing the car.

Mr green
Green Thumb

They are doing well I see! I cant wait to see some tomatoes!

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Finally getting some 'maters rolling in. I've eaten a few, and my neighbors picked a few while I was away on vacation. This is what I returned to today:

Return to “Tomato Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”