applestar
Mod

Re: Applestar's 2016 Tomatoes (& peppers & eggplants)

I was looking at those photos after posting and realized that the stupid bunny, who I'm sure was mowing down the adzuki beans and only accidentally ate the pepper plants, had also topped one of the the Gochugaru pepper above the fruit. :shock:

No time to lose! Image
I only had 1/4" hardware cloth handy though....

...I wonder if the wire mesh would help to warm up the pepper plants. I might want to do the same for Kamo since it's outgrowing the re-purposed birdfeeder cylinder.

applestar
Mod

FINALLY! First ripe tomatoes were the suspected Coyote volunteer -- now confirmed after tasting: Wonderful burst of sweet and rich flavors :()

applestar
Mod

Harvested these today. Coyote and my own cross-breeding projects MRxCF.F2.1F and MRxZM.F2.4B (those green things are chickpeas :wink: )

...more detailed descriptions of the crosses are in this thread :arrow: Subject: Learning • Practicing to Cross Breed Tomato Varieties

Coyote is doing its thing :shock: :D DD2 loves these. After I had taken these photos, I put them in the kitchen, and later when I went inside, I was going to to tell her that I harvested some Coyote, but I realized when I looked in the bowl that she had already eaten all but the greenest "needing one more day" fruits :lol:

applestar
Mod

First Gochugaru Yong Gochu pepper :-()
고추 가루 용 고추

Also, 2nd Kamo eggplant and 2nd Fish Lake Oxheart which is not very Oxheart looking.... White grape cherry MRxCF.F2.1B.P1 (Maglia Rosa x Coyote+Faelan's First Snow) - size and shape varying on same plant, Red cherry MRxZM.F2.4B.P1 (Maglia Rosa x Zluta Kytice+Matt's Wild), White currant Coyote, green striped mystery volunteer plant died while fruits were green, red currant unID'd volunteer most likely Matt's Wild, green Berner Rose accidentally snapped off while trying to support. One green chickpea pod.

applestar
Mod

applestar wrote:First Gochugaru Yong Gochu pepper { <- I should have said fruit} Image
고추 가루 용 고추

...I was a bit concerned that this might not be the right type because I had the impression that it was supposed to be somewhat shorter and blunter, but according to this, Mine seems be on the right track. This is from a store-bought seedling with no description to speak of except the name which translates to "peppers for Gochugaru" so I will save seeds but I don't know if the plant is a hybrid.
Growing Your Own Gochugaru Korean Chili Pepper Flakes for Kimchi - Organic Gardening - MOTHER EARTH NEWS
https://www.motherearthnews.com/real-foo ... z1602.aspx

the peppers you want grow to be about 6 to 8 inches long.

applestar
Mod

First to ripen Whippersnapper x Faelan's First Snow F3-WWL with others in the same cluster and some of the other clusters:

- large heart is (should be) Bull's Heart -- but I'm a bit concerned that the shoulders look yellowish. I will have to do an epi test to make sure this is a pink (clear epi)
- WSxFFS F3-WWL
- lots of Coyote since I didn't get out to harvest yesterday
- suspected Raymondo's Australian Mist -- it turns out this splits in the rinse bucket when ripe just like Coyote does :?
- two fruits from a likely Matt's Wild Cherry volunteer plant. These came off when I touched them -- MWC should actually turn "can't get any redder-red" before falling off....

applestar
Mod

Gary'O Senna -- cross bred from Brandywine and Cherokee Purple -- my first time growing it.

It's a respectable size -- almost a pound. Anyone know why it has this white shoulder/section to this fruit? -- I almost didn't pick it because I didn't think it was ready until I checked the bottom....

Image Image
Bull's Heart originally from Duh_Vinci. :D

applestar
Mod

This is the same overwintered plant. Someone told me the fruits that were harvested over last winter weren't wrinkly enough to be true Bhuts. Do you think these summer outside fruits look a little different (wrinklier -- environmental difference -- more true to type)?

Feb. 2016 harvested fruits:

-- tip of the fruit didn't seem hot... As I sliced a couple more slivers closer to the membrane, the third slice hit me pretty hard. I'm not used to seriously hot peppers, so I can't tell if that means this is a crossed/not-true-to-type Bhut Jolokia, or the "Seasoning Naga" which is supposed to be "less hot". (I accidentally mixed up the three seeds I had -- Bhut Jolokia, Seasoning Naga, and Peach Bhut, so it should be one of the three if true to type.

KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

They look similar enough to me to be one and the same; my bhut is FINALLY setting fruit (doesn't like our until now lack of hot weather - we're finally getting our Summer here, lol) and so far, they are ribbed but smooth. Maybe the develop their wrinklyness as they grow? They are about half size now, me thinks.

applestar
Mod

Three Fish pepper plants from my supervariegated selection in the same pot. The front-right (from labeled edge) original mother plant has been over-wintered is several years old, other two were grown from her seeds last year.

applestar
Mod

Thanks, @kitchengardener :D Good luck with yours :-()

KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

Mine are still completely green, lol! But today its in the 80's, finally, and supposed to be hot-ish weather for a while. :)

I have never seen a variegated pepper plant, so thanks for the photos of yours - wouldn't it be neat if the peppers were variegated too? :wink:

applestar
Mod

They ARE. ...TO DIFFERENT DEGREES. My SuperVar selection often produces nearly white fruits. But they do ripen to red, except the green parts are red-red and white parts are different shade of red if you look closely.

Here's a link to the Fish Pepper thread and quote with picture of some variegated fruits :wink:

Subject: Fish Pepper
applestar wrote:Yeah, I'm not sure how healthy SuperVarX 2015 is. So far seems to be doing OK and is starting to grow floral trusses. Do you suppose it needs more fertilizer because it doesn't have as much chlorophyll?

For comparison, here is the LeastVar (out of the three plants with SuperVar. MedVar kicked the bucket a couple of winters ago). It started to grow much more variegated foliage ...last year? The year before? And hasn't gone back to the solid green fruits. But it still tends to be taller/lankier and more productive than SuperVar. I'm waiting to see if it grows any more yellow-orange fruits, which might have been a sport.

applestar
Mod

Charlie Chaplin
Charlie Chaplin
I had almost given up on him, but it turns out my Charlie Chaplin is ALIVE! :-()

applestar
Mod

This pepper is called Sweet Chocoloco. A new variety that is still being developed. I'm hoping the one I have has the correct characteristics. So far so good with the dark immature color that should change to rich chocolate brown color then red. 8) Image
...when cut open, they should be thick walled... :bouncey:

Now that it's cooler, I'm going to try to bag the next truss for seed saving. :()

applestar
Mod

Some pepper plants that are producing now --

- L - 2nd year Naga Seasoning or Bhut cross, 3rd or 4th year Jalapeño doing fine in part sun though presumably would be more loaded in full sun, 2nd year Yatsufusa "Yatzy" from Helpfulgardener give-away -- probably would have grown fuller if I had planted in the ground

- C - 1st year Brazilian Starfish -- DOES grow tall and "vine-y" like cherry tomatoes :cool: Peach Bhut, Peppadew, and Golden Habanero are also planted here with expectation of extra tall growth, but so far nothing like the Starfish -- and Golden Hab is actually kind of short ...maybe next year? All except Peach Bhut have green fruits. peach Bhut is blooming and may have set blossoms.

- R - 2nd year Hanoi Market g2 (is this a hybrid variety? Mine is grown from seeds from a gifted ripe fruit) pumping out fruits in the ground, 2nd year Czech Black and new-to-me 1st year Domalik Bieber, sad Jalamundo with mite russeted and stunted blossom end

... Jalapeño had been pretty significantly sucked on by stinkbugs. Since I'm only out in the garden every other day, I really need to check every plant, but the jalapeño is out of the way and I have been too lazy. :?

- PEPPERS - Clockwise from top: little Bolivian Rainbow, Jalamundo with mite russeted/stunted blossom end (I think it should have been bigger/longer), wrinkled Seasoning Naga or Bhut cross, Hanoi Market g2, Yatsufusa "Yatzy" from Helpfulgardener give-away :(), and the stung Jalapeño

- TOMATOES - Dwarf Mr. Snow managed to ripen these two then died (not mottled or bicolored like last year). Good "white" color comparison of with Raymondo's Australian Mist (which split again in the rinse bucket :roll: ) and my MRxCF.F2.1F-P1

Return to “Tomato Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”