applestar
Mod

Applestar's 2016 Tomatoes (& peppers & eggplants)

Well, it's time! :-()

Started some of the Dwarf • Sprawling • Micro varieties:

Tomato, 42 Days
Tomato, Birdie Rouge
Tomato, Cream Sausage
Tomato, Demidov
Tomato, DL/67/249
Tomato, Dwarf Arctic Rose x Utyonok F2
Tomato, Dwarf Blazing Beauty
Tomato, Dwarf GEM
Tomato, Dwarf Mr. Snow
Tomato, Dwarf Sweet Scarlet
Tomato, Dwarf Pink Passion
Tomato, Dwarf Wherokowhai
Tomato, Dwarf Wild Fred
Tomato, Early Annie
Tomato, Floragold Basket .DET…bskt
Tomato, Fred's Tie Dye
Tomato, Gold Pearl (bonsai)

applestar
Mod

Latest list of started tomatoes... Some of these are showing first loops. More tomorrow after they stand up :()

Tomato, 42 Days
Tomato, Birdie Rouge
Tomato, Black from Tula
Tomato, Bychye Serdtse (Bull's Heart)
Tomato, Charlie Chaplin
Tomato, Copper Penny variegated, gixx >> look for var
Tomato, Cream Sausage
Tomato, Demidov
Tomato, DL/67/249
Tomato, Dwarf Arctic Rose x Utyonok F2
Tomato, Dwarf Blazing Beauty
Tomato, Dwarf GEM
Tomato, Dwarf Mr. Snow
Tomato, Dwarf Wild Fred
Tomato, Early Annie
Tomato, Faelan's First Snow +var 2014
Tomato, Fishlake Oxheart
Tomato, Flamingo/Rozovyi
Tomato, Floragold Basket .DET...bskt
Tomato, Fred's Tie Dye
Tomato, Gary'O Senna
Tomato, Great White RL.IND.white.bfstk.med-tall
Tomato, Homerfiker's Yellow Oxheart
Tomato, New Big Dwarf
Tomato, Oranzikaas Suda
Tomato, Raymundo's Australian Mist PL
Tomato, Rebecca Sebastian's Bull Bag
Tomato, Steelhead Plant 2 PL GWR+red Itali 2015

applestar
Mod

(Sorry for all the cross posting/linking :> )

Subject: Starting pepper seeds >> spoon in zip bag germination
applestar wrote:I mentioned in this thread -- Subject: Almost Spring '16...what are you doing (or have done) Today?
applestar wrote:Last night, I went overboard with varieties of tomatoe to start for this year by putting the selected seeds in zip seed bags and adding water to soak them, which means I can't change my mind and put them back :P afterwards, I realized there were still some dwarf and micro varieties that I held back on last time, and I will have to decide whether to give up on them or not. The soaked seeds will need to be started in some way -- either Spoonzip method or more Doubled K-cups. I found more sandwich/bakery clamshells I had been saving and DH is drinking more coffee on weekends since he gave up on sugar substitute sodas, so I might have enough K-cups to start one more batch today.
Well, when I actually counted, there wer THIRTY-EIGHT little zip bags of soaking seeds. :roll:
...so I decided to streamline what needed to be done today in favor of saving time and space (Because I don't have the room) -- that meant using the Spoonzip technique.

But one of the issues I had pointed out in my summary is the way paper napkins tended to have fibers that force directional tearing even when soaking wet, that can be frustrating to work with so as not to damage the tender roots. Printing paper when wet turns into pulp but I noticed there is some kind of binding agent/glue that sometimes encourage mildew to grow (this may be because I'm not using the bleach step).

I decided to experiment by using UltraSorb DE which I bought a while back, thinking it was the large gravel/perlite size, but which turned out to be sand-like in size.

All 38 Spoonzip bags fit in a large clamshell which would hold 9 or 10 K-cups :-()

Tomato, Alonzo's Medals (Purple Elgin x Sgt. Peppers) F2
Tomato, Amethyst Cream
Tomato, Believe it or Not
Tomato, Berner Rose
Tomato, BS x PBTD Plant1 2015
Tomato, Cardinal Mazarini
Tomato, Earl's Faux
Tomato, Fishlake Oxheart
Tomato, Gold Medal
Tomato, Gregori's Altai
Tomato, Iva's Red Berry (OP Sungold x Supersweet 100)
Tomato, Justyna
Tomato, Lavender Lake
Tomato, Little Lucky
Tomato, Lucky Cross
Tomato, Lush Queen
Tomato, Miel de Jules Carret
Tomato, Mikado White PL (not?)
Tomato, MINI CAROL YELLOW
Tomato, MRxZCMWFlv F2 #4B
Tomato, Ozark Pink Pearl
Tomato, Ozark Pink Pearl
Tomato, Patio Song F6
Tomato, Pervaya Lyubov "First Love"
Tomato, Petite Pomme Blanche
Tomato, Pink Tiger RW.IND.pinkst.cherrylp.em
Tomato, Rose Quartz MF
Tomato, Rose Quartz MF NOT or Not Carbon Copy NOT
Tomato, Russian Cherry
Tomato, Sgt. Pepper's F5
Tomato, Sirja's Love
Tomato, Snow White Not elongated with nipple Italigarden 2015
Tomato, Terhune x (maybe Captain Lucky) F2
Tomato, Vernissage "Yellow"
Tomato, Wes
Tomato, Whippersnapper xFFSlv F3 WWL
Tomato, White Beauty w/tiny pink BE blush
Tomato, Xanadu Not Surpriz Ellie's striped antho GWR BICOLOR

...since I have no more space on the heat mats at the moment unless I do some major rearranging, I put the clamshell on top of the WWL (Winter Wonderland) light fixture in the Family Room where the room itself has been kept around 72°F at counter level. I'll put the room thermometer on the light fixture to monitor. Image

applestar
Mod

...OK I lied :> ... I DIDN'T COUNT THE LITTLE BAGS --did you think I did? :P

I saw that there were MANY, so I proceeded to Spoonzip them and updated the spreadsheet as I filled them to keep track of which ones, then I ran a counta function on the lists of cherries and Indeterminates (separate tables) to see how many I had. :lol:

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

We need to do a little research and get you a tomato for every letter in the alphabet. You have quite a few varieties started.

applestar
Mod

Subject: Starting pepper seeds >> spoon in zip bag germination
applestar wrote:Tomatoes are not as difficult to start from seeds as peppers, but when trying to grow (too) many :P , Spoonzip method really saves space, ...and it's gratifying to see some of them respond very quickly:

-- I put a piece of drinking straw in all of the germinated Spoonzips.

applestar
Mod

@lakngulf, I might actually HAVE seeds of at least one variety for each letter of the alphabet... I do have one for 'Z' Zluta Kytice... I wonder if I have a Q... Now you've got me curious to find out. :()

eta -- nope, no variety for 'Q' :roll:

Oh wait! I do have Königin der Frühen which I list under its original German name because a friend from Germany sent me the seeds. But its translated English name is "Queen of the Earlies" :hehe:

applestar
Mod

I already can't keep up with pricking out and uppotting in 2Kc's, and I'm going to have do a major rearranging of the brightest and warmest Winter Pardise nursery shelves to accommodate these. But as long as it stays sunny, they can be moved between this SE window and a NW window to catch the sunshine.

It will also be warm enough for the next week in the garage that either some of the tomato babies or other, more cold hardy short plants can be moved out to the Garage V8 nursery.
image.jpeg

applestar
Mod

Interim Inventory :shock:

2016 Tomatoes - Germinated/Sprouted

1 Tomato, 42 Days
2 Tomato, Alonzo's Medals (Purple Elgin x Sgt. Peppers) F2
3 Tomato, Amethyst Cream
4 Tomato, Believe it or Not
5 Tomato, Berner Rose
6 Tomato, Birdie Rouge
7 Tomato, Black from Tula
8 Tomato, BS x PBTD Plant1 2015
9 Tomato, Bychye Serdtse (Bull's Heart)
10 Tomato, Cardinal Mazarini
11 Tomato, Charlie Chaplin
12 Tomato, Copper Penny variegated, gixx >> look for var
13 Tomato, Cream Sausage
14 Tomato, Demidov
15 Tomato, DL/67/249
16 Tomato, Dwarf Arctic Rose x Utyonok F2
17 Tomato, Dwarf Blazing Beauty
18 Tomato, Dwarf GEM
19 Tomato, Dwarf Mr. Snow
20 Tomato, Dwarf Pink Passion
21 Tomato, Dwarf Sweet Scarlet
22 Tomato, Dwarf Wherokowhai
23 Tomato, Dwarf Wild Fred
24 Tomato, Earl's Faux
25 Tomato, Early Annie
26 Tomato, Faelan's First Snow +var 2014
27 Tomato, Fishlake Oxheart
28 Tomato, Flamingo/Rozovyi (may or may not be same as Sibirskiy Velikan Rozovyi) paprika
29 Tomato, Floragold Basket .DET...bskt
30 Tomato, Gary'O Senna
31 Tomato, Gold Medal
32 Tomato, Gold Pearl (bonsai)
33 Tomato, Great White RL.IND.white.bfstk.med-tall
34 Tomato, Gregori's Altai
35 Tomato, Homerfiker's Yellow Oxheart
36 Tomato, Iva's Red Berry (OP Sungold x Supersweet 100) RLc.IND.red.cherry.XT
37 Tomato, Justyna
38 Tomato, Lavender Lake
39 Tomato, Lucky Cross
40 Tomato, Lush Queen
41 Tomato, M.ZM.F2.4B {MagliaRosa x ZlutaKytice+Matt'sWild} F2 #4B
42 Tomato, Miel de Jules Carret
43 Tomato, Mikado White PL (not?)
44 Tomato, MINI CAROL YELLOW
45 Tomato, New Big Dwarf
46 Tomato, Oranzikaas Suda
47 Tomato, Ozark Pink Pearl with antho >> Sunset?
48 Tomato, Ozark Pink Pearl with no antho (2), faint antho (1)
49 Tomato, Patio Song F6
50 Tomato, Pervaya Lyubov "First Love"
51 Tomato, Petite Pomme Blanche
52 Tomato, Pink Tiger RW.IND.pinkst.cherrylp.em
53 Tomato, Raymundo's Australian Mist PL
54 Tomato, Rebecca Sebastian's Bull Bag
55 Tomato, Rose Quartz MF
56 Tomato, Rose Quartz MF NOT or Not Carbon Copy NOT
57 Tomato, Russian Cherry
58 Tomato, Sgt. Pepper's F5
59 Tomato, Sirja's Love
60 Tomato, Snow White Not elongated with nipple Italigarden 2015
61 Tomato, Steelhead (My Brandywine x Ananas Noir) Plant 2 PL F4 GWR+red >> yellow+red bicolor Itali 2015
62 Tomato, T.CL?F2 {Terhune x (maybe Captain Lucky)} F2
63 Tomato, Vernissage "Yellow"
64 Tomato, W.Flv.F3 {Whippersnapper x FFSlv} F3 WWL
65 Tomato, Wes
66 Tomato, White Beauty w/tiny pink BE blush
67 Tomato, Xanadu Not Surpriz Ellie's striped antho GWR BICOLOR

2016 Tomatoes - waiting for germination
(Some are repeated from above because I decided to grow more of some of the cross-breeding generations in which I need to look for recessive traits like potato leaf, clear skin fruits, dwarf growth habits, and multiflora... As well as stronger expressions of variegation or antho in stems/leaves and/or fruits. F2's and F3's should express wide variation of traits including fruit color and flavor among different plants, too.) Image

1 Tomato, (Blane's) Moonlight Mile {Faelan's First Snow x (Karson's First {VPL x Striped Big Cheef})} (F3)
2 Tomato, (Paddymc's) Antho Mystery F3? '15
3 Tomato, (Paddymc's) Blue Variegated Tiger F2 '15
4 Tomato, (Paprika's) Mano x Matt's Wild Cherry F3 Dwf
5 Tomato, (Paprika's) Orange Pixie x Orange Strawberry F3
6 Tomato, (Paprika's) VRFF {Variegated PL x Faelan's First Snow} #1 pink? saladette mini beefsteak F2
7 Tomato, (Paprika's) VRFF {Variegated PL x Faelan's First Snow} pink saladette heart F3
8 Tomato, Dana's Dusky Rose
9 Tomato, Fred's Tie Dye
10 Tomato, Little Lucky
11 Tomato, M.CF.F2.1F {Maglia Rosa x ZlutaKytice+Coyote+Matt'sWild+FFSlv} F2 #1F
12 Tomato, M.ZM.F2.4B {MagliaRosa x ZlutaKytice+Matt'sWild} F2 #4B
13 Tomato, M.ZM.F2.5B {MagliaRosa x ZlutaKytice+Matt'sWild} F2 #5B
14 Tomato, MR.SFM.F2.1F {MagliaRosa x StumpHBR+FFSlv+Manö} F2 #1F
15 Tomato, Pendulina Orange
16 Tomato, Pendulina Red
17 Tomato, Shadow Boxing Type 4 (Clara)
18 Tomato, T.CL?F2 {Terhune x (maybe Captain Lucky)} F2
19 Tomato, W.Flv.F3 {Whippersnapper x FFSlv} F3 WWL

These are most but not all of them :-()
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Wow, Applestar! That's a lot of tomatoes! I am a tomato fan myself, yet don't have as much varieties as you do :)

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

You never cease to amaze me, Applestar. I'm sure glad this forum is not competitive. I would never keep up with you if it was. I have't even started the other inspires you gave me. Monarch butterflies, dehydrated tomatoes, etc. It fun to see the amazing things you are doing.

applestar
Mod

Thank you both! :D

There were others here before me with tomato lists a mile long. I just got suckered into joining them somehow :lol: :>

Fun will come later when it's time to plant them all. :roll: Fortunately some of these are "basket type" sprawling vines that are actually good for growing in hanging baskets, and a good number of these are micros and true dwarfs that can be grown in 1-3 gallon or 3-5 gallon containers, and I intend to experiment some more with SIP's this year. :()

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:...and I intend to experiment some more with SIP's this year. :()
I've seen this elsewhere...what's an SIP?

applestar
Mod

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

gotcha, thanks...

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

So, Applestar, do you save seed each year from all those varieties? Or order new?

applestar
Mod

I do save seeds from the ones that performed well and were well reviewed for flavor by my family, as well as the cross breeding segregates and the unusual and the novelty... Also ones that didn't do well due to my own mistakes or inadequate care so that I intend to try again.

I'm not always successful in completing the seed saving process, though I do try to take extra care for unique and dwindling seedsupply varieties since most of these were obtained in trade in little sample packets of a dozen or so seeds. But sometimes, life gets in the way. I try to make note of ones that I saved anyway under less than perfect circumstances.

Although my saved seed stash dates back for several years now, I'm still not very confident of my seed saving techniques even though most of the time, my own saved seeds have terrific germination -- even older ones.

I don't bag blossoms or isolate plants, so there is always chance of accidental cross pollination.

With all that in mind, I stay away from trades in which strict control and processing are expected -- in fact those were the first ones I became aware of, so for the longest time, I was afraid to even mention I saved seeds.

I'm also terrible at sorting, organizing and packing away my "saved" seeds, which stay in their folded paper towel packets for a very long time stuffed in boxes. I'm not particularly good at sending and returning in a timely manner. :oops:

I prefer more casual, friendly exchange, even if I don't openly offer them. I've participated in enough of these to not be bothered when the received seeds don't grow true to type. When I do offer mine, I prefer to send seeds from previous years' batches that I've already grown and know they turned out OK, rather than ones that I just saved from current/last season.

...all that to explain that yes, I do have extra seeds of most of the ones that I've grown before. :D :wink:

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:...all that to explain that yes, I do have extra seeds of most of the ones that I've grown before. :D :wink:
Appreciate the explanation of your "scientific" process. I tend to fall into the same category...as in "now which ones did I put in that jar last night" But so far so good. And I agree with you on the seeds a year back are more reliable because you know what they will do.

Last year a friend of mine wanted to send some seed to his friend in Hawaii. So we did.
This year this same friend is on a trip to the Dominican Republic and he had a worker down there he wanted to give some tomato seed. So I sent some with him.

My stipulation was that he pay for a trip for my wife and me to Hawaii and Dominican to check on the plants this summer.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Apple - nice going!!!!! Great varieties!!!

Regards,
D

applestar
Mod

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Bottom-left photo and the one above it shows how full the #9 cell was and how the DE sand easily loosens with added water to remove the sprouted seedlings. You can see the AFTER in the central photo. (I'm going to take a picture of the planted seedlings to add here later.)

#1 cell is not germinating and starting to mold. I suspect badly saved seeds since this was one of my mishandled ones. #4 cell has just a couple of seeds that have started to germinate. These were cherry tomatoes that had naturally dried, and I soaked them to reconstitute and extract the seeds for sowing.

applestar
Mod

image.jpeg
...there are 40 of the little darlings. I'm going to be looking for possibly sprawling/short Whippersnapper grandmother type growth habit which will make it suitable for hanging basket and container growing and variegated true leaves which should start showing up on 2nd or 3rd pair and selecting for most variegation. I'm also hoping for some interesting segregation for larger fruit size and color -- possibly "Cherokee Purple"-type -- like the Faelan's First Snow (less variegated) grandfather... And of course flavor. I also want to see if the summer grown fruits will be even sweeter than the F2's Winter Indoor ping pong sized pink round fruits were.

In case the purplish hypocotyl is indicative of antho genes -- which I'm not entirely sure of since the color is not as intensely purple when you compare with the more obvious ones like Blue Variegated Tiger and the surprise antho on some of the Moonlight Mile seedlings -- I'll be on the look out for indigo to purple stems. But if this is antho, then it may or may not negate the variegation. But Paddy is trying to get both on his, and Moonlight Mile is another variegated cross, so it wil, be interesting to see how these all turn out.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

where do you start all those seedlings? It must take up SO much space! :eek:
I know I plant mine on the windowsills in my house and if I was to plant as many as you have planted, I'd be completely out of space! :roll:

applestar
Mod

I try to experiment with various space saving techniques. Otherwise, I couldn't grow as many as I do, certainly not using conventional pre-packaged seed starting systems. :o
image.jpeg
One of potential Alonzo's Medals seedling is showing a lot more antho compared to its sibs. :-()

---
Tomato, Wes
Tomato, Pervaya Lyubov "First Love"
Tomato, M.ZM.F2.4B {MagliaRosa x ZlutaKytice+Matt'sWild} F2 #4B
Tomato, Berner Rose
Tomato, Alonzo's Medals (Purple Elgin x Sgt. Peppers) F2

---
Tomato, W.Flv.F3 {Whippersnapper x FFSlv} F3 WWL
Tomato, Early Annie
Tomato, Dwarf Wild Fred
Tomato, Dwarf Mr. Snow

Mr green
Green Thumb

Have you grown the Rose Quartz MultiFlora before? I'm interested about trying it out.

applestar
Mod

I tried to grow Rose Quartz Multiflora last year but one of the two plants didn't grow true to type. I'm trying again this year from the same seed packet in case I had mixed up the seedlings somehow or there were stray seeds mixed in. ...it might have been this one -- but the plant didn't grow well and struggled, with numerous problems (and unsatisfactory fruit production, and the fruit color seemed a bit off). Hopefully, this year's will do better.
image.jpeg
...If I get the same or similar varietal difference, I might assume that these seeds received in trade had been affected by an accidental bee-cross.

I did grow a number of other multifloral varieties last year, including Ildi and Idyll, and Stormin Norman. And I grew Zluta Kytice in 2014. Another one -- not sure if this is considered multifloral but with long trailing fruit trusses -- that I tried to grow/failed last year and am trying again is Iva's Red Berry.

...am I growing any other multifloral this year? I feel like I am, but I will have to verify my list. :lol:

Mr green
Green Thumb

Hoping that you will get better results this year so we get a good review of them! :) Impressive list of tomatoes, I don't know how you keep up with so many!
Do you save your own seeds? If so how you manage to not get cross pollination? Ive seen people bagging up their flowers with fine mesh nets.

applestar
Mod

Haha I answered this earlier -- 2nd post on this page :wink:

I've heard anywhere from 5-20% chance of cross pollination due to insects and wind, but tomato blossoms are mostly designed to pollinate within the same blossom. I think it does help to go around touching the flower truss stems with an electric toothbrush early in the morning before all the pollinators start working the garden.

applestar
Mod

image.jpeg
...I'm particularly intrigued that the MagliaRosa x (Coyote, Faelan's First Snow lv) F2-1F's in cell #4 seem to be dwarfs or short's except for a very small %. Last year's F1-1F plant was a very tall, over 7 ft cherry -- pink. pointed small grape cherry. Very sweet. This must mean Maglia Rosa's small stature genetics is coming into play. The taller seedlings have larger, broader seed leaves compared to the short ones, and some of them have very narrow, somewhat rolled seed leaves which I'm wondering is indicative of wispy or maybe currant-like wild Coyote leaves....
image.jpeg
Tomato, Fred's Tie Dye
Tomato, Floragold Basket

Tomato, W.Flv.F3 {Whippersnapper x FFSlv} F3 WWL
Tomato, Early Annie
Tomato, Dwarf Wild Fred
Tomato, Dwarf Mr. Snow

Mr green
Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Haha I answered this earlier -- 2nd post on this page :wink:

I've heard anywhere from 5-20% chance of cross pollination due to insects and wind, but tomato blossoms are mostly designed to pollinate within the same blossom. I think it does help to go around touching the flower truss stems with an electric toothbrush early in the morning before all the pollinators start working the garden.

Totally missed it! Thanks for leading me to it, it was an elaborate answer there already!

Yes I heard so too about the tomatoes and so far I have managed a few years since I started withuot getting crosses. Thats why I'm interested to get others view on it. I do see bumble bee's in my blossoms now and then tho so I may have been lucky.

applestar
Mod

It's OK, the thread is already on 2nd page and we've barely started :lol:

---

Final tomato tally --

2016 Tomatoes - Germinated/Sprouted

1 Tomato, (Applestar's) Dwarf Arctic Rose x Utyonok F2
2 Tomato, (Applestar's) M.CF.F2.1F {Maglia Rosa x ZlutaKytice+Coyote+Matt'sWild+FFSlv} F2 #1F
3 Tomato, (Applestar's) M.CF.F2.1F {Maglia Rosa x ZlutaKytice+Coyote+Matt'sWild+FFSlv} F2 #1F (winter)
4 Tomato, (Applestar's) M.ZM.F2.4B {MagliaRosa x ZlutaKytice+Matt'sWild} F2 #4B
5 Tomato, (Applestar's) MR.SFM.F2.1F {MagliaRosa x StumpHBR+FFSlv+Manö} F2 #1F
6 Tomato, (Applestar's) T.CL?F2 {Terhune x (maybe Captain Lucky)} F2
7 Tomato, (Applestar's) W.Flv.F2 {Whippersnapper x FFSlv} F2 #7 (winter)
8 Tomato, (Applestar's) W.Flv.F3 {Whippersnapper x FFSlv} F3 WWL
9 Tomato, (Blane's) Moonlight Mile {Faelan's First Snow x (Karson's First {VPL x Striped Big Cheef})} (F3)
10 Tomato, (CKinNC/dfollet's) RRxRQMF-10 (Red Robin x Rose Quartz MF #10) (winter)
11 Tomato, (CKinNC/dfollet's) RRxRQMF-8 (Red Robin x Rose Quartz MF #8) (winter)
12 Tomato, (Hawk's) Alonzo's Medals (Purple Elgin x Sgt. Peppers) F2
13 Tomato, (Paddymc's) Antho Mystery F3? '15
14 Tomato, (Paddymc's) Blue Variegated Tiger F2 '15
15 Tomato, (Paddymc's) Steelhead (My Brandywine x Ananas Noir) Plant 2 PL F4 GWR+red >> yellow+red bicolor Itali 2015
16 Tomato, (Paprika's) BS x PBTD (Black Seaman x Pink Berkeley Tie-Dye) Plant1 2015
17 Tomato, (Paprika's) Mano x Matt's Wild Cherry F3 Dwf
18 Tomato, (Paprika's) Orange Pixie x Orange Strawberry F3
19 Tomato, (Paprika's) VRFF {Variegated PL x Faelan's First Snow} #1 pink? saladette mini beefsteak F2
20 Tomato, (Paprika's) VRFF {Variegated PL x Faelan's First Snow} pink saladette heart F3
21 Tomato, 42 Days
22 Tomato, Amethyst Cream
23 Tomato, Believe it or Not
24 Tomato, Believe it or Not (winter)
25 Tomato, Berner Rose
26 Tomato, Birdie Rouge
27 Tomato, Black from Tula
28 Tomato, Bychye Serdtse (Bull's Heart)
29 Tomato, Cardinal Mazarini
30 Tomato, Charlie Chaplin
31 Tomato, Copper Penny variegated, gixx >> look for var
32 Tomato, Cream Sausage
33 Tomato, Dana's Dusky Rose
34 Tomato, Demidov
35 Tomato, DL/67/249
36 Tomato, Dwarf Blazing Beauty
37 Tomato, Dwarf GEM
38 Tomato, Dwarf Mr. Snow
39 Tomato, Dwarf Pink Passion
40 Tomato, Dwarf Sweet Scarlet
41 Tomato, Dwarf Wherokowhai
42 Tomato, Dwarf Wild Fred
43 Tomato, Earl's Faux
44 Tomato, Early Annie
45 Tomato, Faelan's First Snow +var 2014
46 Tomato, Fishlake Oxheart
47 Tomato, Flamingo/Rozovyi (may or may not be same as Sibirskiy Velikan Rozovyi) paprika
48 Tomato, Floragold Basket .DET...bskt
49 Tomato, Fred's Tie Dye
50 Tomato, Gary'O Senna
51 Tomato, Gold Medal
52 Tomato, Gold Pearl (bonsai)
53 Tomato, Great White RL.IND.white.bfstk.med-tall
54 Tomato, Gregori's Altai
55 Tomato, Homerfiker's Yellow Oxheart
56 Tomato, Iva's Red Berry (OP Sungold x Supersweet 100) RLc.IND.red.cherry.XT
57 Tomato, Justyna
58 Tomato, Lavender Lake
59 Tomato, Lucky Cross
60 Tomato, Lush Queen
61 Tomato, Miel de Jules Carret
62 Tomato, Mikado White PL (not?)
63 Tomato, MINI CAROL YELLOW
64 Tomato, New Big Dwarf
65 Tomato, Oranzikaas Suda
66 Tomato, Ozark Pink Pearl with antho >> Sunset?
67 Tomato, Ozark Pink Pearl with no antho (2), faint antho (1)
68 Tomato, (Maf's) Patio Song F6
69 Tomato, Pendulina Red
70 Tomato, Pervaya Lyubov "First Love"
71 Tomato, Petite Pomme Blanche
72 Tomato, Pink Tiger RW.IND.pinkst.cherrylp.em
73 Tomato, Raymundo's Australian Mist PL
74 Tomato, Rebecca Sebastian's Bull Bag
75 Tomato, Rose Quartz MF
76 Tomato, Rose Quartz MF NOT or Not Carbon Copy NOT
77 Tomato, Russian Cherry
78 Tomato, Sgt. Pepper's F5
79 Tomato, Shadow Boxing Type 4 (Clara)
80 Tomato, Sirja's Love
81 Tomato, Snow White Not elongated with nipple Italigarden 2015
82 Tomato, Vernissage "Yellow"
83 Tomato, Wes
84 Tomato, White Beauty w/tiny pink BE blush
85 Tomato, Xanadu Not Surpriz Ellie's striped antho GWR BICOLOR

2016 Tomatoes No Shows

1 Tomato, (Applestar's) M.ZM.F2.5B {MagliaRosa x ZlutaKytice+Matt'sWild} F2 #5B
2 Tomato, Little Lucky
3 Tomato, Pendulina Orange

...now to see how many of these make it into the garden... Image

applestar
Mod

image.jpeg
RMflat 3.21

Tomato, T.CL?F2 {Terhune x (maybe Captain Lucky)} F2
Tomato, (Paddymc's) Blue Variegated Tiger F2 '15
Tomato, M.ZM.F2.4B {MagliaRosa x ZlutaKytice+Matt'sWild} F2 #4B
Tomato, (Paprika's) VRFF {Variegated PL x Faelan's First Snow} pink saladette heart F3
Tomato, (Paprika's) VRFF {Variegated PL x Faelan's First Snow} #1 pink? saladette mini beefsteak F2
Tomato, (Blane's) Moonlight Mile {Faelan's First Snow x (Karson's First {VPL x Striped Big Cheef})} (F3)
Available

RMflat 3.17

Tomato, Snow White Not elongated with nipple Italigarden 2015
Tomato, Sirenevoe Ozero 'Lavender Lake'
Tomato, Rose Quartz MF NOT or Not Carbon Copy NOT
Tomato, Petite Pomme Blanche
Tomato, Mikado White PL (mottled pink 2015 SIP)
Tomato, Miel de Jules Carret
Tomato, Lucky Cross SG15.8.20

Tomato 5 oz cups

(6) Tomato, Bychye Serdtse (Bull's Heart)
(6) Tomato, Faelan's First Snow +var 2014
(2) Tomato, Gary'O Senna
(3) Tomato, Great White
(1) Tomato, (Paprika's) Mano x Matt's Wild Cherry F3 Dwf
(1) Tomato, (Paprika's) Orange Pixie x Orange Strawberry F3
(1) Tomato, MR.SFM.F2.1F {MagliaRosa x StumpHBR+FFSlv+Manö} F2 #1F
(1) Tomato, T.CL?F2 {Terhune x (maybe Captain Lucky)} F2

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Wow, I get dizzy thinking about all those varieties. I grow several kinds but will not make it to double digits this year.

Better Boy my Mom's favorite
Brandywine seed originally came form Monticello Home gift shop
Fantastic folks on the tractor forum talked about them and they are "fantastic"
Amos Coli
Lush Queen
Cherokee Purple
Gary O Sena

About to up pot several seedlings today.
Attachments
tom.jpg
tom.jpg (47.95 KiB) Viewed 9766 times

applestar
Mod

I'm growing Lush Queen this year lakngulf, thanks to your positive reviews :D I'm growing Gary'O Sena as well -- it's about time. :wink:

---

I love variegated tomatoes. These varieties add a whole another level of anticipation during seedling stage. Image

Here are first three to show their first hints of variegation -- Faelan's First Snow from the more variegated selection from 2014. It's actually not the most anticipated in terms of level of variegation expected, but it's still a thrill when the variegation starts showing up on the second set of true leaves. Image
image.jpeg
...since many of these are still segregating, unstable cross-breeding projects, fruit quality can be uncertain except for Faelan's First Snow strain that I have been growing since I was given some of the seeds from the first discovery a few years back. I was lucky in that this one has always produced good sized Cherokee Purple type and flavor fruits, which has been considered a confirmation that FFS is indeed a sport or a mutation of Cherokee Purple.

I'm also trying to grow Copper Penny -- a variant and possible bee cross with Faelan's First Snow which was discovered in gixxerific's tomato patch. My two variegated seedlings I found from the Copper Penny project didn't make it last year, so I'm hoping to find variegated offspring again in this year's seedlings.

applestar
Mod

Update on the same Faelan's First Snow (more variegated from 2014) seedlings: :()
image.jpeg

applestar
Mod

Aaand another look at the Faelan's First Snow. These three are looking really good :D
image.jpeg
Fourth plant is Fish pepper (less variegated) which had quietly bloomed and then set fruit without any help from me Image

applestar
Mod

I'm starting to wonder if I started too many...
image.jpeg
These aren't even all of them. :roll:

Image :>

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:I'm starting to wonder if I started too many...
I feel your pain!

huntress

Your seedlings look great, applestar! So healthy and vibrant :) It will be really neat to see pictures of your harvest this year. I am imaging a rainbow of tomatoes in all different sizes. Keep us posted on their progress!

applestar
Mod

Thank you @lakngulf and @huntress. It actually gets harder from here since they will need to be Uppotted and will need more room, and weather is still uncertain here until end of April at least.

But my next step will be to uppot the biggest seedlings and start bringing them outside during the day. Maybe build a sheltered spot or a low poly tunnel to keep them in.

applestar
Mod

Progress :()
image.jpeg
...due to starting seeds over ...I think three... weeks, I have seedlings ranging from just a pair of first true leaves all the way up to plants that wouldn't look over potted in 1 qt or even 1/2 gallon pot. :roll:

(As mentioned before, Coconut Milk and Rice Milk flat counts are misleading because these are not number of flats but number of varieties planted in them, and some are divided community flats and some are community single variety flats.)

This is when things get harder because day time temps are great and they really need to be put outside, but night time temps are way too cold and they have to be protected somehow or hauled back inside. The collage depicts almost all of the seedlings. The ones on the picnic table are ones that didn't get photographed before because they were in the garage V8 nursery. :-()

Return to “Tomato Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”