applestar
Mod

Terhune x ???

Terhune x ???
image.jpg
This fruit was on what was supposed to be a Terhune plant. I grew three plants this year and I don't remember if I harvested any other fruits from this plant before.

I'm actually kind of excited because if this is an accidental bee or wind pollinated cross, the varieties I grew near the Terhune I saved seeds from that had round fruits rather than flattened beefsteak shaped fruit are all spectacular -- Ananas Noir, Captain Lucky, and Grandma Oliver's Chocolate.

Out of these three, Grandma Oliver's Chocolate is the most likely because the two plants were sharing the flat CRW support from either side, and their branches criss-crossed the panel.

IF this is Terhune x Grandma Oliver's Chocolate, it would be absolutely amazing luck. Though this year, there was no sign that it would be productive -- a trait from GOC that I would sure like to have blended into Terhune lineage.

Photos from last year:
Ananas Noir (Top right) and Captain Lucky (Bottom right)

Captain Lucky

Grandma Oliver's Chocolate (bottom right and bottom center), Captain Lucky (bottom left)

applestar
Mod

So, I'm growing seeds from the possible bee-crossed Terhune x, which if it IS a cross and not a seed mix up will be at F2.
image.jpeg
Their true leaves are all growing out Potato Leaf, which makes sense since last year's was PL, too, same as the other Terhune plants. This also definitely means the father variety must have been a PL for sure. I should have thought of it, but this rules out Grandma Oliver's Chocolate since that's a Regular Leaf variety. Ananas Noire is a RL, too. So I'm thinking Captain Lucky, with the PL foliage might have been the father of the PL seedling F1 that I thought was just another Terhune.

applestar
Mod

I'm growing 4 seedlings tentatively labeled "Terhune x ? F3? HBR'16"

I had to go hunt up this photo of the fruit that the seeds came from. Apparently, I didn't make any special note of it at harvest last year. It was very late to produce in the Haybale Row last year, partly due to early russet.broad mite infestation that forced all of the seedlings to reset and have to grow all the foliage from a lower node. But this WAS one of the varieties that managed to resurrect and recover.

The fruit was plum shaped and approx. extra large egg sized. I wasn't too impressed with the weird mottled appearance and color at harvest and I was even considering abandoning it... but it tasted fabulous after ripening and I did save seeds after all.

I will post photos of the developing seedlings later.

The original cross probably took place here:

Subject: Applestar's 2014 Tomato Gardens
Fri May 23, 2014 2:54 am
applestar wrote:Update photo and map of the "Sunflower House" (SFH) tomato garden and the "Sunflower House Extension" (SFHX) watermelon patch plus the "Haybale Row" (HBR) protected squash patch

... or possibly here, but the other is more likely ...

Subject: Spiral Tomato Garden
Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:31 pm
applestar wrote:Image

applestar
Mod

Here's one of the RL segregates in the SFH. The fruit shape has changed again! Lobed shoulders extending down the side of the fruit.... I can't wait to see how they turn out when the fruits are mature and ripe. Big sepals may mean big fruits....

Two views of same fruit --

Return to “Tomato Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”