applestar
Mod

Re: 2015-2016 Winter Indoor (Tomatoes, etc.) Garden

White Soul Strawberries are still producing in the Garage V8 Nursery :-()
image.jpg
DEFINITELY doing this again next winter with more plants. Image

applestar
Mod

Time to give this marjoram a good trim again! :()
image.jpeg

applestar
Mod

SQUEAKY SIGHTING! :-()
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (37.01 KiB) Viewed 12694 times
...spotted on one of the seed-grown Afourer Mandarin trunk, ALL THE WAY ACROSS THE GREEN ROOM from the smaller avo he/she used to be on. It IS in the large avocado jungle grouping though, so plenty of light up above and lots of places to hide. :mrgreen:

...I thought he/she looked a little dehydrated, so I spritzed the entire area with my misting bottle...

Mr green
Green Thumb

Love that frog, and amazing indoor operation!

Did you ever try the dwarfbush tomato Florida Petit? It doesnt get taller than 20-25cm and pretty good producing for its size, the tomatoes taste really good as well. They are good indoors also quite quick atleast when I grew them outdoors, its the only tomato I have gotten 2 flushes in one season with the second being slightly smaller tomatoes but still.
I usually pack them quite tight for being tomatoes 3 or 4 in the same space as ordinary tomatoes and alot shallower pots too.

applestar
Mod

I hadn't heard of Florida Petite. Thanks for pointing it out. I'll see if I can get that one. In the mean time, it looks like I have seeds for what might be a sibling if from same cross ( released at the same time by same people) -- Florida Basket, but haven't tried growing it yet. Flavor report was meh.
image.jpeg
This season, I'm growing a newer release by U of FL by another breeder called Floragold Basket. If it's a good one, I'll add to next Winter's Indoor Tomato line up. :D

This year's Winter Indoor Tomatoes took a devastating hit from TRM's (Tomato Russet Mites) These are the only survivors, and I will be adding them to TRM Survivor Hall of Fame along with Tatjana and Dwarf Arctic Rose. :-()
image.jpeg
Believe It or Not in community 4" pots [garage v8]
(Applestar's) Maglia Rose x (Coyote+Faelan's First Snow less variegated) F2-1F in group tray [garage v8]

(CNinNC's) Red Robin x Rose Quartz Multiflora F5 #8 and #10 [garag v8 moved to cool gang]

(Applestar's) Whippersnapper x Faelan's First Snow less variegated F2-7 in white square 3 gallon [winter wonderland]

(Applestar's) Maglia Rose x (Coyote+Faelan's First Snow less variegated) F2-1F [winter paradise 1]

applestar
Mod

It's spring now... Or so they say. We have snow in the forecast for this week, though no accumulation, and low in the mid-to-upper 20's °F, and my plants will be staying indoors for another month or more.

Right now, the four orchids are simultaneously in bloom, though peak has passed for some of them. :D
image.jpeg
Unlike the other three, the one on the bottom-left is in an upstairs bedroom where, for some reason, it was the ONLY room in which stink bugs appeared all winter. The holes in the blossom are their work :evil: All of the blossoms have this. :(

Mr green
Green Thumb

Oh my the one with a little bit of pink and bright "stains" is amazing!

applestar
Mod

Almost there! I'm starting to move out plants that can take a bit of cold like lemon, fuchsia, lemon verbena, stevia, jalapeño, ...etc. In another couple of weeks, we should be frost free.

In the mean time, we had another Squeaky Sighting Image
image.jpeg
This was a fun one because DD was with me holding one of the kitties and she spotted Squeaky, too. Every time the cat focused, Squeaky got fidgety and moved further and further up and into cover, generally "squirreling" around avocado trunk and branch to the other side until finally hopping over to the mango. Not so much when we humans looked. Kitty sat balancing on a pot rim for a long time looking up. Image

applestar
Mod

We're so conditioned to think peppers are the finicky ones needing warmth, etc. but MATURE pepper plants have done far better in the average winter house conditions than tomatoes. Tomatoes bloom and set fruits well in late fall and then not until late winter/early spring.

For me it's a matter of timing and I guess I'm essentially growing TOMATOES in the FALL that slowly ripen for the holidays and winter consumption, then some more in spring before the summer tomatoes are ready. I think my new thinking is to grow extra early determinates for the fall/winter harvesting, and nurse along some exceptional Indeterminates for spring. (They can grow into/have the space vacated by the determinates) Looking forward to trying some of the newer larger fruited indeterminate dwarfs for that slot, and I'll be trialing some of them this summer.

applestar
Mod

I have sad news. :cry:

One of our kitties captured Squeaky and ... ate him/her.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:I have sad news. :cry:

One of our kitties captured Squeaky and ... ate him/her.

RIP sweet frog!

Hope your children didn't witness that!

applestar
Mod

Thanks, Lindsay. O:)

applestar
Mod

Here are the overwintered eggplants. They are trying to bloom already and desperately need to be planted. One of the white comets set a small fruit that I picked and ate already. :lol:

Return to “Tomato Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”