PleaseW84myRX8
Newly Registered

Progress on my indoor tomatoes and other problems

Problems below were plants grown indoors under grow lights. Soil has been custom made using some base from Home Depot, perlite, lots of trace minerals and rock dusts, coconut coir, worm castings, and a bunch of other fertilizers and things. I have not tested the soil yet to see what is causing issues below. If you could recommend home kits that would be great.

I have a couple problems with some Roma's I planted indoors. I used grow lights for them and they sprouted and grew very quickly. After about 3 months, they started getting Blight. It has been nearly 6 months now and I have not successfully cured them yet. I've used neem oil and it burned the plants pretty badly even after watering it down. Stopped using neem oil. Tried baking soda spray and it has slowed the progression but hasn't stopped it. I'm looking for ways to cure the blight and prevent it from future seedlings, which I will be planting soon.

2nd problem. Before the blight came in, my romas, bok choy, and spinach all got white spots on them. The white spots get leathery and look exactly as though you spilled bleach on colored fabric. Just turns an off yellow to white color. The Bok Choy actually looks slightly rougher when it occurs to them. I need to figure out what is causing this. Maybe a bacteria? But which kind and how do I treat it?
Plant 4.jpg
This picture shows a simple blotch but on many other leaves it is more of a speckled mass all over the entire leaf.

3rd problem, my peace lillys are suffering pretty badly after a couple years of having them. I had them originally in some potting mix from Home Depot. I think the drainage became bad so I changed it to my custom soil blend. The drainage is better and I'm watering like you should, when they start drooping, but the issue is still happening. Issue is the edges turn brown and slowly grow into the center of the leaf. See bottom left of picture.
Plant 3.jpg
What is causing this and how do I stop it?

I'm not a terribly experienced person but I am trying really hard because I'd like to do this commercially eventually. Any help is appreciated. Thanks for your time.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The first leaf is a tomato? It is a potato leaf variety?

The white spot is not typical of common tomato diseases and definitely does not look like blight. What it most looks like to me is being burned. You said the Neem oil was burning the plants. This could be a result. Or what kind of lighting are you using? Lighting that is too intense or too close can produce burned spots, that are pale and leathery/ crispy.

I would have thought growing your plants indoors might have kept them free of blight. Are you sure that is what it was? Do you have any thoughts about how it got in? Did you grow from seed or buy plants? From big box? There have been some blight infections spread through mass produced plants like that.

The browned leaf edges and tips are pretty common in peace lilies. In can arise from under watering/ drought stress, over fertilizing, or too much light - they are shade plants. The white area on the peace lily definitely looks like sunburn or in your case too much direct light.

PleaseW84myRX8
Newly Registered

rainbowgardener wrote:The first leaf is a tomato? It is a potato leaf variety?

The white spot is not typical of common tomato diseases and definitely does not look like blight. What it most looks like to me is being burned. You said the Neem oil was burning the plants. This could be a result. Or what kind of lighting are you using? Lighting that is too intense or too close can produce burned spots, that are pale and leathery/ crispy.

I would have thought growing your plants indoors might have kept them free of blight. Are you sure that is what it was? Do you have any thoughts about how it got in? Did you grow from seed or buy plants? From big box? There have been some blight infections spread through mass produced plants like that.

The browned leaf edges and tips are pretty common in peace lilies. In can arise from under watering/ drought stress, over fertilizing, or too much light - they are shade plants. The white area on the peace lily definitely looks like sunburn or in your case too much direct light.

The top picture is just the bleaching thing on my romas. That bleaching took place before I used neem oil. I don't have any pictures of the blight, I will have to take them and post them in a bit. I leave my doors open occasionally, but the seeds were all bought through home depot. No special distributors.

As far as lighting, I use LED's. Diamond series I think is what they were called. They work really well but the light doesn't travel as far as it really should. Anything past 30 inches doesn't seem to grow as strong.

I'll move the peace lilies and cut the browning leaves and let it grow back out. Thanks for the help.

PleaseW84myRX8
Newly Registered

Sorry it took so long to get this up. Been very busy with work.
Attachments
Roma 3.jpg
Roma 2.jpg
Roma 1.jpg

PleaseW84myRX8
Newly Registered

Bumping thread for a response.

Return to “Tomato Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”