hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

2015 First Ripe Tomato - post photo, give zone and date

First ripe tomato for 2015. Is a golden salad grape type variety. Is good for bragging rights here in marginal zone 7/8, but no others are remotely close to getting ripe. Lots of fruit set of various sizes, but probably two weeks away from getting a second ripe tomato. The very cold winter kept me from putting plants outside as much in December and January. Also prevented me from up potting when the plants were ready. Nevertheless, by mid May, the plants will probably be out producing last years plants as these are just loaded with fruit and blooms.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

I usually do not like fresh tomatoes but last year I got Blondkoptchen yellow cherry tomato seed off a seed train. They were delicious and seeing your picture reminded me that I forgot to look at cherry tomatoes this year when I ordered seed.

Looks nummy!

brooksms

My first ever home grown tomato! Tommy toe variety from Baker Creek Seeds. Zone 7 and picked 5/20/15. Started this from seed around the middle of January. To be honest, it was a little mushy. Seeds burst out of the bottom when I was drying it with a kitchen towel. Tasted delicious though! I would have picked it sooner but I was still seeing some yellow and thought it needed another day. Will pick sooner next time!
Attachments
IMG_7616.JPG

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Get ready for a real treat to come. Usually my earliest ripening tomatoes are a little low on quality, better than grocery store, but both texture and flavor are a little off. I think that the fruit needs the heat of 80+ degree days to develop to its best. Still, I love the bragging rights of that early tomato. You must have done very well as late June/early July is probably a more usual time for the first ripe fruit in your area!

brooksms

Yes, I love bragging to my dad about beating him to the first tomato! I'm glad to know they will improve. Either way, the flavor is out of this world compared to ones from the store. Well worth the effort!

Return to “Tomato Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”