applestar
Mod

Re: Applestar's 2015 Tomato (and Pepper and Eggplant) Garden

Even though I am enthusiastic about growing tomatoes, a wrinkle has existed because DH has only shown interest in eating a slice or two of only the GREAT tasting bigger tomatoes in a sandwich a couple of times a week.

But I have discovered DH's weakness -- dehydrated tomato chips. :-()

I made some a few days ago, using all four trays in the new dehydrator and yielding a 1 quart glass bowlful (Pyrex with tight sealing lid). I gave him one small piece to taste and he irresistibly finished the bowl in two days. :()

...I made some more today... 8)
image.jpg
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

applestar
Mod

Subject: Self Watering Container and Sub-irrigated Planter

This was from October 5:
applestar wrote:Eggplant SIP as of today.
A Hari eggplant I'm hoping to collect seeds from, and the Pea eggplant blooming at the top of 10ft stems:

...and today, I FINALLY got around to processing the seeds -- the fruit was getting browned and soft for about a week already....
image.jpg
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Dehydrated tomatoes sounds fantastic. They must taste similar to sundried tomatoes. Dehydrated tomatoes will be my next adventure.
ISFP "The Artist"

applestar
Mod

I promise you won't regret it. :D So pretty, too when made with different colored fruits. I peel the skin and save the seeds from the top and bottom pieces, but keep the skin, gel and seeds in the equatorial slices for the stained glass effect.

I can't get to the next step which would be cooking with these. They disappear too fast :roll:

Dehydrated cherry tomatoes are not as popular, though they can taste like raisins if dehydrated to soft shriveled stage and kept in the refrigerator. I tried a batch that I soaked in chianti, then dehydrated and that was kind of yummy. 8) There's too much skin and they can get rock hard when dehydrated crisp. I suppose one way to work with them after that is to try soaking them in olive oil.

I did take about 1/4 cup of the hard cherry tomatoes and ground them up into powder in my coffee grinder designated for spice grinding.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Ground up dehydrated cherry tomatoes would be great to cook with.
Soaked in Chianti sounds good too. Reminds me of the Jose Cuervo cake recipe. I can just picture you downing a few of those Chianti tomatoes and dancing around the kitchen.
ISFP "The Artist"

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Thoroughly enjoyed the "walk" through your garden, amazing range of colors, shapes, sizes and surely flavors!!!!

Regards,
D

applestar
Mod

Hello Duh_Vinci old friend! Thank you so much :D

So happy to see you posting Image

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Cheers Applestar!

I'm not even sure where and how small my garden would be this year - but indeed will have something for sure (haven't had a garden in 3 years), so I'm excited!

You, however have exploded with varieties and looks like utilizing every square foot available - great job!!!

Regards,
D

Mr green
Green Thumb

Beautiful garden i like the woodshavings as mulch it looks really pretty! You take good pictures as well!
Mmmmm and dehydrated tomatoes, i must buy a dehydrator! Some home made herbal salt to sprinkle on top before drying them *droool*. Haha my mouth is actually watery now. :()
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished - Lao Tzu

Return to “Tomato Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”