applestar
Mod

Re: Applestar's 2015 Tomato (and Pepper and Eggplant) Garden

I was SOOO exhausted yesterday that I didn't have the energy left to take pictures and I couldn't get back outside to figure out the map. I heard about a disaster in another gardener's tomato patch when an errant squirrel made off with her surveryer's tape tomato labels, so I was super anxious -- I had no other record since, this time, I didn't start by drawing up a map.

I asked DD1 if she would go out and sketch them out and write down the names and where the tapes were tied on the tomato cages. She did, meticulously. So I was able to put together my map and rest easy. :wink:
image.jpg
... the empty red circle is for a special variety that I only have one seedling of, and it wasn't lookng good -- not strong enough to get planted -- so I uppotted it to TLC it a bit. I was going to plant another Rainbow Dwarf in that orange circle, but the seedling was on its last leg. We've had days of super hot, super cold, then rain. Heavy rains night before that nearly melted the soil blocks and washed many of the roots bare... (I had to cover them all with potting mix). Now that I'm reviewing the map, I might take out that blue cage and leave the spot open for access to the interior of this patch. I think I'm going to need it. :roll:

Yep. The tomatoes are sharing this bed with strawberries. But IME they are good companions since the strawberries are pretty shallow rooted and the tomato roots will dig deeper. And the strawberries will keep the root zone shaded.
Attachments
image.jpg
Last edited by applestar on Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added the photo.

applestar
Mod

I keep telling myself I'm almost done... But it looks like I really need to get the support system set up in the Spiral Garden. Some of those tomato plants are threatening to flop over. :roll:
image.jpg
These eggplants in the SIP that looked like this when planted:
image.jpg
are greening up nicely now (though I'll probably replace that silly onion with a basil or two :wink: )
image.jpg
Got the Multiflora cherry tomatoes planted in a new bed. These will be trained as cordons and some of them will get to use the special spiral stakes. Others will have to use regular bamboo stakes.
image.jpg
...the rest of the cherry varieties will be going in after the plastic covered area dies down a bit...
image.jpg

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

I love your mapping and pictures to match. Your making me think I need to try more than 8 varieties next year. I can't wait to see the harvest. It is hard to imagine those little plants becoming sprawling giants but they do. :()

applestar
Mod

Thanks, @sweetiepie. If you see any tomato variety you are interested in, send me a PM. :wink:

Here's a tiny little variety called Mohamed. It's a "micro-dwarf" and can be grown in 1 gal container. I planted it in the center hole of a three-hole cement block.
image.jpg
Mohamed is in the middle. A Wild strawberry on the left and a seed grown Alpine strawberry on the right.

Last year I tried Chibikko, another micro-dwarf. It was tiny as advertised, cutest large marble sized bright red fruits and prolific. But the flavor was meh and the foliage was disease prone. :|

MichaelC

Your garden looks fantastic, Applestar! I mostly grow big tomato plants, but I've got one Red Robin planted for fun this year, and it looks like it'll be the earliest producer by a long shot. I had a cage around this plant until I realized how ridiculous that was!
IMG_1226.jpg

tommyblaze
Cool Member

Your garden looks amazing!

applestar
Mod

MichaelC wrote:Your garden looks fantastic, Applestar! I mostly grow big tomato plants, but I've got one Red Robin planted for fun this year, and it looks like it'll be the earliest producer by a long shot. I had a cage around this plant until I realized how ridiculous that was!
IMG_1226.jpg
Thanks @MichaelC :-() Please let us know what you think of Red Robin. I've never grown that variety. :D

@tommyblaze, thank you! :()

applestar
Mod

Subject: Pallet sided high raised bed hugelkultur experiment
applestar wrote:Ha! That's a mouthful! :lol:

I thought I'd split this off to a separate thread from my veg and tomato garden progress (although technically this bed belongs in the White Sauce Garden/Tomato Garden) and just post highlights over there since just posting the building process is turning out to be quite cumbersome.
...here is a highlight collage of how I filled the bed :wink:
image.jpg
While I was working on the pallet sided raised bed, I noticed that the Green Sausage in the hanging basket is blooming :-()
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

I planted the rest of the tomatoes for the White Sauce Garden in the pallet sided high raised bed and the SIP this morning :-()
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

Update on the White Sauce Garden:

Planted the self-blanching celery -- Golden Self Blanching and Golden Pascal. I didn't take a close up of Golden Pascal but they were as white as the Golden Self Blanching in the bottom photo. I dug deep holes and dropped them in all the way to their leaves.
image.jpg
In this part of VGB, I planted Louisiana Velvet okra, Sprite small White Honey F1 honeydew melon (sorry, I planted Sprite in a different bed), and Szentesi Feher (White from Szentes) pepper and Alma Edes sweet pepper, and White Comet eggplant. -- As soon as Oregon Sugarpod II snowpeas are done, I'm going to train the melon vines to climb the trellis.
image.jpg
Here is the rest of the (rather ambitious) revised White Sauce Garden plans and planting map:
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

I finally managed to plant the F1 crosses of tomatoes I practiced with this winter. The slight discernible differences in the seedlings are interesting, and I hope to see the differences develop more clearly in the plant structures and fruits as they grow. 8)
image.jpg
...I learned that MF - multiflora - trait is also recessive s will not show up in this generation...

applestar
Mod

Finished planting the cordon style cherry tomato bed along the Empterprise Apple garden rabbit fence -- a.k.a. "Apple Guild Sentinels" :-()
image.jpg
The ones planted earlier in the new outside bed are looking good :-()

applestar
Mod

I'm hoping to take update photos of individual tomatoes in the Spiral Garden tomorrow. Most are blooming and some have little green fruits :D

Here's the view from the upstair's window:
image.jpg
-- yes, I planted my Super Dwarf Cavendish Banana in the center of the Spiral. :()

Igotworms
Cool Member

great looking garden! I have a dwarf cavendish plant also but I put mine in a large pot.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

Oh, I was wondering how things were going after your storm. Glad to see something still exists.

applestar
Mod

Thank-you @sweetiepie :D

applestar
Mod

Green fruits!

Juicy Saladette, Sailor's Luck, Blakc Seaman x Pink Berkeley Tie-Dye, Wes
image.jpg
Butter Apple, Dark Copia Heart, Not Purple Strawberry x Sergeant Pepper's, Lucky Cross

Hanging baskets too -- they are needing booster feed :oops:
image.jpg
image.jpg (49.93 KiB) Viewed 8725 times
Green Sausage, Tumbling Tom Yellow, Cream Sausage

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Lookin' good, apple! I hope you rescued most of your garden after that storm. And now we're getting another, this time with excess rain.

A tip on the self-irrigated containers: they will need water much sooner than our other plants, being covered with plastic. I put my timers on just a one day rain delay, but turned off all of the lines except for the SICs. I'll turn those back on, when I have to.

applestar
Mod

Thanks @pepperhead212 :D

I lost a couple of tomato plants -- one was crushed by the pea trellis, but otherwise, they seem to be OK. They are actually loving the extra moisture and taking off -- the raised rows and swales really work.

Here are the peppers in the two SIP's aside from that one Donkey Ears (which was in poor shape as a transplant anyway), everybody else seem to have settled in. One of the melons made it out of the hole.... I also sowed some poor germination Dragon Tongue wax beans along the perimeter.... (yes I know PETC :roll: )
image.jpg
...and another look at the Pea Eggplant and Hari Eggplant...
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

Update :D
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

Hundreds and Thousands -- a multiflora hanging basket type
image.jpg
First Green Sausage fruit had BER :(
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

Green fruits in the spiral garden Image

Bosque Blue .......... Girl Girl's Weird Thing, Not Liguria
image.jpg
Sailor's Luck .......... Hawaiian Pineapple

Juicy Saladette... lucky Cross... Japanese Black Trifele... Butter Apple
image.jpg
juicy Saladette, Zebra Heart megabloom, Clackamas Blueberry, Samocvet Nifritovy

Carbon Copy... Jersey Giant... Dark Copia Heart... Black Seaman x PBTD F3#1
image.jpg
Wes... Not Purple Strawberry x Sgt. Peppers F1#1... #2...BSxPBTD F3#2

applestar
Mod

What to show first....

Apple Guild Sentinels as seen from both directions:
image.jpg
...I lost the only Iva's Red Berry plant I had... Is it crazy to want to grow it so much that I'm starting some more seeds NOW? :>
image.jpg
Pea Eggplant and Hari Eggplant in 2nd Hand DIY SIP. I never knew THIS is how eggplants are *supposed* to look like :shock:
image.jpg
image.jpg (46.38 KiB) Viewed 8851 times
Even the two basil plants (one Thai basil the other ??) pepperhead212 gave me last fall and struggled all winter are growing back beautifully. Thai basil is in the back:
image.jpg
Pepper SIP's
image.jpg
Pallet-sided High Raised Beds and Tomato SIP:
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

Top Row: Not Liguria with leaf growing from fruit truss...Mohamed micro-dwarf
Middle Row: ...I thought Not Liguria was growing weird -- look at Carbon Copy's fruit truss!!! :shock:
image.jpg
Bottom Row: Cream Sausage (1st fruit with BER starting :( ) ...antho stripes... 1st truss of Rose Quartz MultiFlora

applestar
Mod

Here's the Hundreds and Thousands hanging basket viewed from ground level :D
image.jpg
I posted this picture of the Spiral Garden Annex on June 21

I love seeing them all settled in and establishing themselves :()
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

Montage Of the Spiral Garden as seen from ground level (standing on a bench :> )
Attachments
image.jpg

MichaelC

Hi Applestar -

I love seeing the updates. You might have already written this some pages back in this long thread, please forgive me if so - what's the idea with the spiral garden? I can see how it might be very practical for irrigation, for one thing.

applestar
Mod

...mmm... I thought it looked interesting? No I think I had more reasons, but we have to go back a couple of years. Let me find the thread and I will post the link. :wink:

TRM (tomato russet mite) infestation is taking down or nearly taking down random plants among perfectly unaffected plants -- some with russetting all the way up the stem and wilted, some with russeted and curling leaf branches, some are very slow to grow and others are growing on despite the infestation. Based on last two year's experience, if successfully protected by the Garden Patrol, they *should* grow fresh unaffected new shoots and growths and be OK -- semi indeterminates and indeterminates will have a better chance of recovery since they are not on a clock.

With all the spotty, yellowed, and other diseased foliage everywhere (TWO plastic grocery bags full) due to more rain than usual and high humidity as well, I decided the garden needed an immune system boost -- Sunday, I sprayed some of the solanaceas and cucurbits with milk, whey, and rainwater. Monday I sprayed again -- some of the same and some that I didn't spray yesterday -- with milk, yogurt whey, and overnight steeped willow leaf/twig tea. It's supposed to rain after mid-morning today, which should help rather than hinder since the garden could have been watered yesterday but I didn't, and the willow compounds should have been absorbed and microbes should have had time to establish in the phyllo and rhizosphere.

applestar
Mod

Hmm... I did NOT mention in the first two pages of the thread why. I know I needed to plant lots more tomatoes than I ver did before..... Well enjoy. It's after 2am and
I'm going to sleep. :>

Subject: Spiral Tomato Garden
applestar wrote:Waaah! My tomato seedlings NEED to get planted! (last night's low was 36°F :roll:)
I fertilized them today because they are starting to lose color from lack of nutrients and maybe not liking the accommodations.

But the forced delay HAS given me time to ponder and prep the main tomato garden for this year... I decided to make it a Tomato Spiral. Still have lotS to do but here is basicaly the "before" picture ;)

It's roughly a 16-18 ft circle and the spiral/continuous row will be 3 feet apart. I still have to dig the good soil out of the path spiral and mound up the planting bed spiral and amend it, mulch it, etc.

I also made a narrow 2ft wide raised row along the new 20ft x 4ft high fence line which hopefull will be enough to catch any overflow. :>

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

Did you plant the Iva Red Berry plant? Just wondering how it is doing. Can't wait to see if it catches up so late in the game.
It keeps raining here too and is humid. Not to much disease issues, except that little bit of mildew on the pumpkins a while a go. The wind has taken care of that for now. But at least the smoke haze is disappearing and we actually get to see the sun between the rain showers. Love all your pictures.

applestar
Mod

:oops: :oops: They germinated, but I accidentally "cooked" them by leaving in direct sun :roll: ...I guess it just wasn't meant to be this year. :?

applestar
Mod

...I have LOTS of other stuff growing though... :()

image.jpg

Cream Sausage in hanging basket:
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

Hari and Pea eggplants in the SIP. Thai Peche eggplant in a cement block hole.
image.jpg
Thai Peche is doing surprisingly well. This spot is close to a small roof downspout and by placing the cement block here, I am probably damming the rainwater as it flows away from the house.

The cement block may be sequestering heat for the heat-loving eggplant, but the roots would have spread below the cement blocks to where the earthworms are enjoying the cool shade provided by the block and the weeds and grass underneath that are dying from being smothered -- I haven't really given this area much extra fertilizer. THIS might be something I should experiment more with next year.

applestar
Mod

First ripe tomato of the season (started from seeds this year, not counting the mature Winter Indoor) was Tumbling Tom Yellow in a hanging basket. I almost missed it because I thought it was the first *blushed* tomato -- it was only as I was saying to myself "Tumbling Tom YELLOW" is blushing, I guess I'll take a picture..." -- that I realized -- "... Wait YELLOW! This is a yellow tomato!!" :lol: :roll:
image.jpg
-- as you can see, it is badly infested by TRM (tomato russet mites) -- I'm not hopeful of the flavor of this fruit so I may just save seeds from it (first fruits are said to be less likely to be accidentally crossed by pollinators) This plant is at a disadvantage since I'm not sure that Garden Patrol mite predators can rescue and protect it up here in the hanging basket.

applestar
Mod

I was surprised to find ripe a Coyote on volunteer plants among the corn in the Haybale Row:
image.jpg
Here is the big Wes fruit I mentioned elsewhere. :wink:
image.jpg
(Still green but starting to color break)

applestar
Mod

I'm getting "coached" by a gardening friend in Europe on how to properly prune cherry tomatoes into columnar (cordon) style:

Looking over these photos, I have to self-critique that I could have/might need to trim a bit more leaves... But here they are-- before and after:

Black Cherry... Anna's Multiflora... Stormin Norman... Idyll

Ildi... WOW Fedco Cherry... Rose Quartz Multiflora... Amethyst Cream

Sweetie... Sun Gold (not?)... Isis Candy... Jewels of Ordiorne

... I'm bummed that I lost both seedlings of Iva's Red Berry :( I must try to grow it again with EXTRA care next year. Image

applestar
Mod

Update photo of the Spiral Garden -- I love it when the tomatoes start to mature and I can see colorful fruits from the window :()
image.jpg
-- do you see the really big Wes fruit? 8)

applestar
Mod

Harvested first three red cherry-sized fruits of micro-dwarf variety tomato called Mohamed. As you can see, the plant is same size as strawberry plants 8)
image.jpg
The green-when-ripe fruit is a Samocvet Nefritovy from the Spiral Garden, dark yellow fruit is a Tumbling Tom Yellow cherry from the hanging basket in the White Sauce Garden, and little light yellow/ivory colored cherries are volunteer Coyote from the Haybale Row.

...also in the bowl are small wild blackberries and some White Soul Alpine strawberries.

applestar
Mod

Green striped yellow Butter Apple was ready to harvest today -- a couple more days inside before tasting 8)
image.jpg
Also harvested another Tumbling Tom Yellow and more Coyote. White Soul Alpine strawberries, blueberries, big Triple Crown thornless blackberries along with the wild (super thorny :x ) blackberries....

applestar
Mod

These will be ready soon....

Juicy Saladette --
image.jpg
Antho varieties --
image.jpg
Cream Sausage in White Sauce Garden hanging basket --
image.jpg

Return to “Tomato Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”