applestar
Mod

Help me figure out this Pink PL tomato

This is a PL volunteer that grew in my garden this year. I'm trying to figure out what it is because the fruits tasted terrific sweet and full flavored with lingering tangy finish even though they had to be picked at just blushed and color break stage due to imminent heavy frost and were ripened inside:
image.jpg
According to my previous years' grow lists, these are the possible candidates:

Brandywine
Rebel Yell
Spudakee
Terhune
Trip L Crop (even though that years growout produced golfball sized fruits)
Soldacki
Stump of the World

I think those stripes seen in the green almost color break stage could be a clue, but I'm not sure. It was rather more productive than I would have thought for ?Terhune or Brandywine, but I could be wrong. I'm tending towards Stump of the World, but I'd like more experienced opinion than mine.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

If you ever wondered how a new accession was found. I think you might be holding examples of that if you save seed from it.

As far as going backwards to its prior name? I'm not sure there is an (ironclad) way to do that.

Keep saving seed of this progeny, and what or if it segregates into. Post notes in public forums. And in a couple to a half-dozen generations maybe a new tomato will be known.

applestar
Mod

Thanks, tomc. You are probably right, but I was hoping to narrow it down a bit. 8)

...so far, I've been told that it's not likely to be Spudakee (PL form of Cherokee Purple so color is wrong) and Rebel Yell is not likely to get those green streaks which is environmental. Trip L Crop is a long shot anyway.

Brandywine
Rebel Yell
Spudakee
Terhune
Trip L Crop (even though that years growout produced golfball sized fruits)
Soldacki
Stump of the World
...or a bee cross...

PaulF
Greener Thumb

I think you could also cross off Brandywine (but which Brandywine was in your garden) and Stump. Mine have had less fluting at the top. I don't remember stripes on the green fruits with Terhune or Soldaki, but maybe I just did not notice. Terhune for me has always been sweeter than Soldaki. I think the possibility is high you have an unintentional cross. If you like it, keep it and see what happens next year.

Gardener_Wes
Cool Member

Would be pretty interesting if you ended up with a cross.

Return to “Tomato Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”