bcallaha
Cool Member

Good tomato season

After having 3 years of so-so tomato success, this year surpassed all expectations. I have 23 plants, and they've been covered all season long. We canned 68 quarts of juice so far, 14 pints of salsa, and 12 pints of tomatoes. We've eaten all the fresh tomatoes we could eat, gave some away, and had fried green tomatoes. I'm just about tomato'd out. Now, if I can just get the rabbits out of my garden so I can grow green beans!! I had 6 rows 25' long, and the rabbits ate every plant!!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yay!! Wonderful! What do you think made this year so much more successful for you? (Especially since many people, including me in Ohio are complaining that it was not a great year for tomatoes.)

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Excellent news. Here the year was pretty bad. Too much fluctuation in weather conditions. Thirty-five plants gave us enough tomatoes to eat but not much else. Lowest production in many years. That's why we just have to say,"Wait 'til next year."

dtizme
Cool Member

Had a pretty good year here in Ontario, Canada. Never got too hot, a fair bit of rain. Had to water once in awhile but not too often. My cherokee purples did good. Had more tomatoes than I needed between the 2 plants. The sweet 100 cherry tomato plant has produced 100's of nice cherry tomatoes. My yellow pear plant is huge (about 10 feet tall) and producing lots of tomatoes. Their not the best tasting by any means though, don't think I'll grow them again. Will definatly grow the cherokee purple and sweet 100 again in the future. They both did very well in how they grew and taste. If I get a chance to grow next year I'll go with 1 or 2 cherokee purples and 4 sweet 100's. First year growing both and was amazed @ how the sweet 100's grew. Grown properly you could easily get a a few hundred little tomatoes off each plants. definatly a keeper.
The cherokee purples did very well too and have an awesome taste.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

That's odd Rainbow. I *think* our weather here is pretty similar to yours and this has been my best year, well, maybe ever. I actually still have plants producing this late into September, and that has never happened. Don't get me wrong, all of the plants and most of the fruit is looking pretty sorry at this point, but they're still there. Not sure what I attribute the success to.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I still have plants producing and that is not unusual for me. I usually harvest all that have even gone pale, though not blushed, before first frost is predicted, but leave the plants. Depending on the weather, they will often produce more even after that.

bcallaha
Cool Member

I think the weather has had a lot to do with my tomato success. We've had a good amount of rain, when it's needed, and the temps have not been scorching. We've had hot days, but not weeks on end, and we've had more moderate temps than normal. All of my plants grew to over 7' tall....way over my concrete wire. My plants are starting to look sorry in spots, but they are still producing. We canned another 20 quarts of juice (88 quarts total so far), and another 11 pints of salsa today. I'm kinda hoping we will run out of canning jars soon!!

Return to “Tomato Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”