Look at those gorgeouses!!!

Meme
Cool Member

Such a lovely mix for sure, all look lovely. :D

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

Oh boy. I'll say so! :D

JC's Garden

Thanks all. This is my 1st year with heirlooms. I've learned a lot about low disease resistance and taste.

First in was the Super Sioux, I thought it was a great tomato. Then the Cherokee Purple came in, new favorite. Last came the Brandywine Pink, my friend said it best, "They're not very pretty but I thought I knew what a good tomato tasted like, I was wrong".
My wife likes the San Marzanos and Amana Oranges, not my cup of tea.

I'm now looking around for suggestions for next year. I'm not looking for size, shape or color. I want great tomato taste with lots of acid.

What's your favorite?

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

(We really enjoyed Amana! But you already knew that ;) )

Yellow Brandywine was a repeat winner. I got lots of compliments at work from Chocolate stripes, and Sungold. Everyone seemed to really like those.

JC's Garden

The Sungold sounds a lot like the Mrs Tucker's Grapes I have. That may be what they are. Are the Yellow Brandywine and Chocolate Stripe high acid? You know I'm not a big Yellow fan. :wink: The more I hear about chocolates the more I want to try them. I'll have to control myself a little, limited growing space. Unfortunately I caught the' Heirloom Bug' this year.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Yeah! I'm an acid fan! The later the season got, the more acidic they were, but they were acidic from the start! Think pink brandywine, but sweeter and yellow/ orange!

That chocolate was awesome!

Sungold is a hybrid, and I'm unfamiliar with the grape you mentioned. They weren't my favorite, but my friends and family requested them over and over. I just really miss my acid in them and I find them to taste unbalanced. I didn't grow black cherry this year. We were disappointed that we somehow left it out. I've always enjoyed them.

Sorry it took me so long to get back...

applestar
Mod

The two Yellow Brandywine seedlings that I had failed so I was Yellow Brandywine-less this season :(

...but there is a PL volunteer that is starting to develop its green fruits now and it looks like they will be flattened beef-steak type fruits. I'm hoping it could be a Yellow Brandywine since there was one growing in this area last year. 8)

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Just for something different I like Green Zebra. Lovely color and nice taste. Not sweet but not overly acidic. I also like the texture. Very firm.

Return to “Tomato Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”