JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Tomato Ripening tricks?

So I'm committed to hosting my mother-in-law tomorrow for BLT pizzas. If you've never tried this, I'll write up the "recipe" below. It is probably the best thing I've ever eaten. Anyway, I took some maters to a neighbor yesterday, and we just ate a couple with lunch. I now realize that I might not have any maters at peak ripeness for tomorrow. I have several that are pretty close...any tricks to speeding them along?

Now, for the recipe...it sounds a little weird, but believe me...its worth a try. First cook up some bacon, in about 1 inch squares...but leave it a little underdone. Then taake a pizza crust of your choice and brush with olive oil and a little garlic or garlic powder (garlic butter would probably work fine too)...do not use pizza sauce! Top the prepared crust with the cheese and bacon, and bake as you normally would a pizza. When it's done, pull it out of the oven, slather the top with a thin coat of mayonnaise, then sprinkle on plenty of shredded iceberg lettuce and fresh chopped tomatoes. It's, really, really, really, really good......really good...

So back to the question.....how to hurry along the ripening process?

applestar
Mod

Banana or apple in a bag trick?

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:Banana or apple in a bag trick?
I have heard that, but I wasn't sure if that was real and if it actually worked on tomatoes...

applestar
Mod

Planttalk Colorado - Ripening tomatoes indoors wrote:Ethylene gas produced by ripening tomatoes is a ripening hormone. To speed the ripening process, place a ripe tomato or banana in the container with the fruit. To slow the ripening of green tomatoes, routinely remove ripening fruit from the container.
https://www.ext.colostate.edu/ptlk/1831.html

HonoluluGirl

JayPoc, what kind of cheese do you use on your pizza?

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Bad at spelling, but it is usually some mix of smoked provalone and mozzerella....maybe a little romano or parm on top...

webmaster
Site Admin

The paper bag trick works great with avocados, too! :)

Return to “Tomato Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”