pinksand
Greener Thumb

Tomato Questions

My first question is, is this a tomato hornworm on my pepper plant? I haven't seen any since the photo was taken a few weeks ago, but thought this guy looked familiar....

Also, do these spots on my tomatoes mean anything in particular?

GEOSAN

That's a Tobacco Horn worm with the 7 diagonal white lines and a red "horn". The Tomato Hornworm has 8 "V" shaped white lines. Look good, they are well camouflaged...frass droppings are is usually spotted first.

applestar
Mod

Yep Tobacco hornworm is all I've ever seen on my tomatoes. :lol:

I recognize that hose pots those spots ( :oops: ) look like bacterial speck
:arrow: https://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell. ... ck_Tom.htm
...but I've never had them on my tomatoes before. (Knock on wood)
Last edited by applestar on Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: You know why.

GEOSAN

What are hose pots Apple ? I don't think I ever had any..at least not in the garden. :D

pinksand
Greener Thumb

I'm assuming she meant "those spots"? :lol:

GEOSAN

Regarding the spots on the tomatoes... are the spots only on these tomatoes shown ? Can they be wiped off ? Is it possible it is hornworm "dodo"? Look above to see if you have a "guest" up above somewhere.

applestar
Mod

I love my iPad, I do. But autocorrect and light touch virtual keyboard typos are the bane of my life! :oops:

pinksand
Greener Thumb

GEOSAN wrote:Regarding the spots on the tomatoes... are the spots only on these tomatoes shown ? Can they be wiped off ? Is it possible it is hornworm "dodo"? Look above to see if you have a "guest" up above somewhere.
It's just specifically that group of tomatoes, I haven't noticed spots on any others. It doesn't wipe off and seems to be a part of the skin so I'm guessing that bacterial spots are more likely than horn worm frass. I can't see any tobacco horn worms on my tomato plant at all, just the one that was photographed on a pepper plant.

Edit: I take that back, I do see spots starting to develop on some of the other fruit.

Should the fruit not be eaten? I'll have to do some research!

applestar
Mod

Did someone say NOT to mention you haven't got the pest or disease in your garden?

...I do believe they were right. :x
What appears to be bacterial speck on a Neves Azorian Red <br />and on a Royal Hillbilly
What appears to be bacterial speck on a Neves Azorian Red
and on a Royal Hillbilly
My suspicion is on Japanese Beetles that are feeding on the bean leaves above the tomatoes and dropping their frass all over. :evil:

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Hmmmm... I get spots like these on late season tomatoes... I always thought they were from sucking insects.

applestar
Mod

Do you think stinkbugs? I have seen a few that are NOT the Brown Marmorated Stinkbugs that are common around here -- smaller with pointed shoulders.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

We have 3 kinds of stink bugs here, I have a little trouble with them. Mainly the smaller ones with yellow bellies. We have a new one this year that looks like crushed up Oreos. I haven't taken the time to look them up yet. The bigger late season problem bugs, for me, are leaf footed bugs.

Return to “Tomato Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”