At this point, all the front runners have shut down beyond any hope of recovery, but there were a several that have resurged since the arrival of late summer/early fall cooler weather. Out of those, many went down to septoria that accompanies the fall cool and excess moisture due to heavy condensation.
But there is a last full sized Captain Lucky
ripening out there, and a half-sized Wes
. We just had the one and only large beefsteak sized Prudens Purple
on our hamburgers tonight even though we had completely given up on any more big tomatoes this season, and the volunteer Matt's Wild Cherry
in the watermelon patch are pumping them out. And the Coyote
on the house wall trellis has completely recovered from the tomato leafminer attack that forced me to drastically prune off any and all affected leaves and are starting to ripen the new fruits.
Then there are these:
This is another volunteer. It's potato leaved and I was hoping for a Yellow Brandywine, but in these latest photos, you can clearly see developing green shoulders and faint striping on the four fruits, and I don't think YBW has those, so it's still a mystery.
This one I'm pretty sure is Cherokee Lime
, but it could be Cherokee Lime Stripes
. I thought it had been overwhelmed by tomato russet mites, but after the infestation spread and killed the vine all the way to the growing tip, it, like many others, grew fresh new side shoot that somehow was immune to the TRM. I had been keeping an eye on the large fruit on the vine at my eye height, but then I noticed that the vines had reached all the way to the eaves and the rain gutter of the one story roof... And there are more green fruits up there!